Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by narfi »

Lawnmower through a huge rock against the fs17 this last weekend and went through the glass and splintered some plywood under it.

Ground it back to about a 2.5-3ish inch circle then filled with 4 layers of 6oz woven starting with dime sized and growing up to the 2.5-3 inches each progressive layer. I could have probably just filled with thickened epoxy and faired back and painted, but the glass is probably less brittal and a little more 'proper'

Forgot to take a before picture but here is sanded back and then with the 4 layers of glass.
20210629_193605.jpg
20210629_215002.jpg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

That sucks, but looks like a good repair.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Agree, good repair Narfi!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Forgot to take any pictures with the fairing compound, we drove it around a couple weeks like that but got it painted this weekend.

Taped off and rolled 2 coats of primer Saturday, then 2 coats of awlgrip yesterday. Pulled the tape and didn't like the sharp edges or the edge of the primer visible. So rolled freehand over all the edges and it blended in nicely, can't even find it from 3ft away.

I just have the spray converter but didn't want to clean the gun again for such a small project, even with the spray converter it seemed to roll well.

I also touched up a bad spot on the rubrail I had scraped a post with parking it under the shed last summer, had scraped the paint off but didn't touch the glass. I did spray that as I was spraying white on the trimaran project so already had the gun setup. Forgot to take pictures of it though.
20210718_191452.jpg
20210718_195858.jpg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Nice repair!! Very nice! 8)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looks great Narfi! Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

narfi wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:40 am Lawnmower through a huge rock against the fs17 this last weekend and went through the glass and splintered some plywood under it.
Have you seen the scene in Croc Dundee where he says “That’s not a knife ... this is a knife”.... I feel like you must have to say that about your lawn mower for it to have done so much damage! 😂😂

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

TomTom wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:40 am Have you seen the scene in Croc Dundee....
I'm just glad it wasnt a window or a kid :)

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I was going to assume you don’t have a conservatory and ask whether you do anything near buildings and neighbours by hand!

What else can your lawn mower do?!

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

TomTom wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:00 pm I was going to assume you don’t have a conservatory and ask whether you do anything near buildings and neighbours by hand!

What else can your lawn mower do?!
I had to look up what a consevatory was...... nope don't have one of those :) the grass/dirt/tundra/rockpile I mow is around our house, though we are putting in patios hopefully this week so will shrink the mowing area a bit :P
Lots of trees between us and any neighbors, but we have an 11yr old so neighborhood kids are always comming and going, as 'rural' as our village is all the kids are free range and come and go as they please. My wife asked when Landon was comming home last night and my answer was "when he gets hungry, unless someone feeds him".(which they often do)