Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by narfi »

Yeah Tom, I understand that :)
The problem is that the plans do not show how to measure that panel if nested the way he calls for :(
I think I will make a cardboard pattern from the measurements, and cut it out, then lay it on the plywood to trace the part.
If I remember I will take measurements and post them so the next guy doesn't run into the same problem.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

There has to be "the other part" for that. You can't have that one piece nested with no match at the joint for the rest of the panel. If you simply lay out all the ply needed to make the panel you should be able to see the measurements. You likely need to find the one corner that is clear, then draw the baseline and all other marks from there.

Or am I missing the issue some how?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

hehe, I may be the worlds worst communicator, just ask my wife.....

I know that the 3 side panels connect to make the full length panel.
If you look at my picture it shows the full length panel, and I easily drew out the rear two side panels.

The problem, as you can see in the picture is that the forward (bow) side panel is nested at an angle to fit in the plywood. (I circled the panels in question with red)

The measurements are taken from a straight plywood sheet and a square corner. But nested on the plywood that is NOT where it is located and so you can not measure it this way.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Maybe this will explain better the issue?
questions.JPG
If I knew what the circled question mark was, and what angle that straight side was from the plywood side, I could draw some straight lines and calculate the rest, but I have no where to start.........

I am fine with an arbitrary straight line somewhere, but it is too tightly nested to just randomly draw lines, I have to know where that line is and the angle it sits on the plywood.....

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Narfi,
Can't you make your own straight line? I mean you have the measurements so just lay it out with your own straight line and then measure for all the rest. make your straight line from the tip to where the panel in flush to the line.
I don't have a clue it any of that made any sense :help:
Completed: FL14, OD18

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

does this help?
Completed: FL14, OD18

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

Narfi,
Can't you make your own straight line? I mean you have the measurements so just lay it out with your own straight line and then measure for all the rest. make your straight line from the tip to where the panel in flush to the line.
I don't have a clue it any of that made any sense :help:
Right!!! I just said it poorly in my last post. Narfi, you don't need to calculate any of that stuff. Put a piece of scrap along the right side of the your earlier drawing. Now draw and extension of the panel's right side (the roughly 24" side) onto the scrap. Next draw a perpendicular line running to the left starting 1-7/8" below the corner and extending right off the sheet onto more scrap. Finally draw all your offsets from that line. Hope this is clearer. If not I'll draw it out tomorrow. Dont get a headache.

Bill

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Im pretty dense.....

I think this is what you are saying,
line.JPG
Draw a line here, square with the panel I want to draw.
However.... I dont know where that panel is to base the line from......its easy when its drawn on there, but on the plywood its not drawn and there are no starting points for either side of that square........

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Cut the other panel in that sheet first. That will force you to fit it in "what's left". Remember that you don't have to be 100% exact at this point. Big might be better than small.

Just a thought.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

remedy32

Post by remedy32 »

Right Narfi, good illustration of what I meant. Make the included angle 90 degrees and place the new line 1-7/8 below the corner and you can do all the offsets from there. Remember the right end of the piece in question aligns with a line that IS the end of a sheet of plywood. Your new line just creates a false edge to work from.

Bill