Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by Parkrat »

Congrats on starting the FS17! I think my favorite part so far was cutting and stitching it together. Seems like you have a lot of help and I really can't offer much more. I reread..reread.. reread.. stared... stared.. reread.. stared.. so many times. :lol: For me it seemed to suddenly "click" and things made sense. Usually after a few screw ups. I have 2 builds going on now. I can't believe how it gets in your blood!

You mentioned overthinking things... I over thought a lot and kept telling myself just make it look pleasing to the eye. It really helped and especially when I started my D5 build. If it looks fare that's all that matters. I forgot who, but somebody said, "It's a boat and not going to the moon!"

I'll be watching your build because I'm sure you will pass me up soon. :help:

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

narfi wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:56 pm Yep, makes sense, and was near the top of my list of solutions :P

I can't cut it oversized now anyways as it wouldnt fit on the strongback properly..... only other option I could think of would be an OSB temporary one like all the rest of the bulkheads.
I did that with a couple of my frames. I'll cut them from the nice plywood once I flip it.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Parkrat wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:48 pm
I'll be watching your build because I'm sure you will pass me up soon. :help:
Doubt that will happen this year.... yesterday was first frost here....

So I cut twice and it was still too short :(
(Not really.... I only cut once, but I had measured the end at 3 7/8 instead of 4 7/8 :/ )

20170926_202240.jpg
3 prices scrap because I measured wrong...... nearly 1/3rd a sheet of plywood wasted.

Measured again and cut some more and have the stringers cut out.
20170926_202320.jpg
20170926_202403.jpg
Now I have all the pieces cut out that need glued before I can start assembly. Plan is to glue them all (stringers and bottom and side panels) then cut out the osb bulkheads etc..... then take the sheeting off the table to reveal the strongback ready for assembly.

I did a couple if test pieces glued one with woodflour/epoxy and glued one panel sample with woodflour/epoxy at the seam and 12oz tape over it with epoxy. Entire batch mixed with fast cure....
20170926_202440.jpg
20170926_202500.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

All is not lost when you cut it too short. You can always glass and glue it back together. But it is still a pain to mess up like that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Narfi am I reading your thermometer correctly and that the inside temp is 42 degrees F. If so you are going to need to heat your shed up to 50 - 60 degrees or heat up your epoxy up to 70 degrees in a tub of hot water. At 40 degrees epoxy basically stops curing and you will need to wait till it warms up for it to complete the cure before you can go on. I am not saying it totally stops at 40 but instead of 1 day at 70 will take 7 days at 40 before you can handle it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Tom has a good point. If you glass in the evenings and then use the heater for about 30 minutes in the morning to jump start things you should be able to glass for about three more weeks. That is if the weather gods smile on us.........they have not been kind so far this year.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Yes..... I am aware that I am on the edge of practical temps. That's why I'm doing the test pieces......
Screenshot_20170926-230913.jpg
Heater has been returned and I won't be using it.
My wife suggested bringing the panels inside to glue.... it could work but kind of a hassle to rearrange furniture and Landon and the dog running around makes it less than ideal.
Other option would be take them to work and do them in the hanger.... but also not ideal as we have a pretty busy shop and don't want to take up that much floor space in the way.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Allow me to suggest a thought...

When preceding an option that allows you to continue build in suboptimal conditions with "the wife said" you need to stop, go get whatever the Alaskan equivalent of "flowers for the wife" is (it must be something like a moose steak or a fresh caught salmon) and then DO IT HER WAY!!

Jeesh man, what are you thinking about?!?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Just build a tent with some plastic or a tarp ,put pieces in with a light bulb and should be cured by morning.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

you may under estimate the silliness that is "not summer" in Alaska. It's just not warm there...

;)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.