Page 1 of 1

LM 18 First Time Build

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 pm
by Colemanfire
Well Here We Go!!

My name is John, and I wanted to introduce my self to the forum. First I want to thank the guys at Boat builder Central Reid, Jeff, and Jamie have been a fantastic group of people to deal with from emailing me info on how to build hatches to walking me through the shop and spending time walking me through the steps of a build. Really don't think they would let you fail at a build. I'm a first time boat builder, I picked up my CNC kit for the new LM 18 today. I haven't seen any info with anyone building an LM 18 so I hope I'm not going to be the genie pig, so if there are any others building the LM 18 please chime in I will take any advise give. Here are some pictures of the beginning . I will post pictures of my progress. Wish me luck.

Re: LM 18 First Time Build

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:18 pm
by fishgitr
Welcome aboard!! I have built a couple FS18, LM18 little brother, and I am getting ready to do the LM18. Its a blast, you will become addicted. This forum has a great bunch of guys willing to help. Several of will be going to Jensen Beach for a boat builders meet in October and you will see a lot of the boats there. I live in Jacksonville and frequent Mosquito Lagoon, Sebastian a lot. If you have any questions or anything please post. If you need a hand with anything I am only a 1.5 hour away and will be glad to come down and help out. Travis

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 am
by Jeff
John, OK, now that I see the horse trailer, I fully understand why you drive such a huge truck!! Thank you for the kind words, very much appreciated!! You are the first to build the Laguna Madre 18 (LM18) from a CNC kit. There are a couple others building the LM18, or so we are told, but no photo's as of yet!! We will follow you closely and both the Forum Members and our team will help you with anything you need!! Looks like you are off to a great start!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:38 am
by DirtMike
Hey John - good luck with the build, keep the photos coming and let everyone know how it's going. I'm strongly considering a LM18 build so I'm looking forward to seeing yours come together.

Mike

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:55 am
by Colemanfire
Thanks guys.

Travis, I'm hoping not to have to take you up on that offer but keep it open I may need it.

Mike, I don't know if this is going to be a good thing to follow or not, but I can promise I'm going to take my time and try hard to build this thing right and as nice is my capabilities will let me.

On another note. I sent a picture to my buddy this morning of the plywood laying on the strong back, and said the boat arrived today, and he replies with are you building a raft.... https://forums.bateau2.com/posting.php? ... =2&t=62619#

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:28 am
by pee wee
Good luck with your build, I'll be following along with interest!

One thing I question is whether you'll be comfortable building at that height. Once you get a boat hull sitting atop that frame, you may find it more ergonomic to have things sitting a bit lower, don't know how tall you are, though. That's a very sturdy looking frame, and the wheels are going to come in handy.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:31 am
by jfraymond
good to see someone started on this one... I have the plans but am still working on another boat for my father.
will be following for sure

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:47 pm
by Wadincajun
Colemanfire - I know you didn't hope for the guinnea pig role, but you will be for me. I hope to purchase plans and start building next year. Being a first time builder I was waiting on someone else to start so I would have a general idea of everything and follow along the way. Best of luck! I had some friends that lived in Melbourne for 3 years while attending FIT for Grad school. Pretty area and I enjoyed visiting.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:26 pm
by MrPaul
I'll bet this build thread is going to get a lot of traffic. There are a lot of people interested in the LM 18 including myself. Please post lots of pics.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:25 pm
by seaslug
Welcome to the forum, and the madness that is boat building. You'll know if you're a serious addict or not on the first day of the build. You've gotten off to a good start with your strong back, but unless you're very tall, say 6' 5" you should consider lowering it a little. I'm 5'10" and I've found 23" off the floor to be comfortable for me. I've built the FS18, FS14 LS, and the SK14, and I really, really, want to build the LM18, but cannot do it at this time, but look forward to following your build and helping out if I can. Remember, there are no dumb questions, so ask away, and you'll have plenty of opinions and advice as you proceed. I've now fished from my FS18 for a year and a half, probably 100 trips, and can honestly say that these plywood and epoxy boats are just better than most if not all the fiberglass boats on the market. I think the LM18 with the added 10" of beam will be better than any boat of a similar size, both in weight, ride, and ease of poling. You should try to make it to Jensen for the builders meeting Oct 13th. Now get to work! Mike

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:21 am
by TomW1
Colemanfire welcome to the Forum. There are no dumb questions so if you have one ask. Some one will have the answer. The LM is just a stretched FS18 so there will be plenty of help from those builders and Jacques will be keeping an eye on your build as it is the first.

Tom

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:41 pm
by Colemanfire
Hey Seaslug,

I built the strong back a little higher than normal for a couple of reasons. First my back, bending over for hours sanding is going to kill me I was hoping to have the boat a little lower than chest level so that I could see the hull at a higher level when faring and sanding, I'm going to cut it way down when I flip. I have been studding your build threads day and night and I am going to attempt to build the hatches as per your method. got the transom done, stringers laminated, and the bottom and the sides all glued up and taped one side today. Tomorrow will set frames and transom, and try to start planking. Thanks for the advise, I will take all I can get.
if you have any more info or pictures on how to install the channel hatches I would love to see them need to study them some more don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling on them yet. Thanks in advance because I know I will have lots of questions for you..

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:45 pm
by Colemanfire
Day One progress

rained off and on all day but managed to get some stuff done,

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:56 pm
by Jeff
Moving very well and with great speed Colemanfire!!!! Great to see the first Laguna Madre 18 being built!! Have a good weekend!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Great start!
I'll be following along. 8)

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:10 am
by Dougster
I'm watching too, it's a cool design and you off and running :)

Dougster

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:21 pm
by Colemanfire
Well its been a long day, but here's day two.

It felt pretty good when I was mounting the frames all the dimensions I set the 2x6 all worked out great.
all and all a pretty good. Got frustrated with the bow and my hands were cramping up, so I will get a fresh start after work tomorrow.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:47 pm
by fishgitr
Its looking good!! Great progress!! I can't help but give this advice. The more time you spend getting it really straight now especially the bottom, the less time you will spend fairing/sanding it.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:58 am
by Browndog
That boat must be a fine lady, could have sworn it had eyelashes and winked at me this morning.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:15 pm
by poleposition
Out of curiosity, were the molds cut for the rounded chine when you bought the kit, or did you have to modify them yourself? Also, were the parts configured for the rounded chine, or did you have to cut the strips once you assembled them? ( Hope this makes sense! ) It would really be a nice feature if Bateau could cnc this as watching others build the rounded chine looks like a pita.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 pm
by Reid
Poleposition,

Great question! Just like the FS18 round chine option, frames A and B are rounded to accept a round chine. During the CNC cutting process we also use our 1/4" router bit to cut the "chine slits". When you receive the CNC kit for the round chine, you will notice that the slits are not cut all the way through. We do this so the wood is better protected during shipping. You must first glue the hull panels together at the puzzle joints and then come back and cut the slits all the way through.

Reid

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:44 pm
by Reid
Colemanfire,

Looks great so far!!! You definitely are not wasting any time! Just be patient while stitching the bow together. As you fine tune the zip ties you will need to tighten some and cut others and re zip tie. It is a process. Lastly, don't be overly critical on gaps, you can fill those with woodflour and epoxy.
Keep up the good work!
Reid

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:10 pm
by Colemanfire
Hey Reid,

Yea the zip tie got pretty frustrating, but I was pretty tired and decided to call it a day last night I plan to get back after it after work. I will take my time tonight, there is defiantly correct way to install them uniformly after a whole pack of zip ties I figured that out. quick question for you, I should be going from the top (bottom of hull) down Right?

John

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:25 pm
by Reid
John,

You don't necessarily need to work your way from top to bottom. You need to make sure that you do the following:
  • Make sure that the bottom piece does not get pulled up too far to where you are left with a big gap at the end.
  • Make sure the gaps are even throughout each strip.
  • Make sure you have enough gap for the EZ Fillet.
I would recommend getting the top and bottom set first and then working in the middle. Start very loose with your zip ties and slowly tighten down as you need. The bow is going to take some time to get the curve right. Don't forget you use some small PVC pieces or pencil pieces (like we talked about in the shop) to help with the curve. Don't be afraid to ad or remove zip ties as needed.

Reid

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 pm
by Colemanfire
Ok here's how tonight went I think it went well, but if I could get some input on the end of the bow, not quit sure if I just fill and shape it or if this is wrong.

any in put on tricks to this would be great.

John

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:40 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Hi John,
I'm building a similar boat, the FS18.
Looks to me like the bow mold is protruding past the kerfed bow panels.
Your stitching job looks perfect to me but I would get the tips of the bow panels closer together.
I'm pretty sure you can't slide the hull forward on the frames at this point?
I'd probably just reach in with a multi-tool and gouge out some relief on the bow mold to bring the tips of the kerfed panels closer together.

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:53 pm
by seaslug
First I want to to say you're doing a great job so far, and very quickly. That's a beautiful looking hull, and wish I was able to build one for myself. In the profile pic the bow shape looks great, but the 4th strip from the bottom is cut at an odd/ wrong angle, did the kit come that way? If so, the CNC kit needs to be changed. I would say to use zip ties port to starboard to pull those pieces tighter together, first trimming the bow mold a little as Richard said, but doing that might put a weird dip in that spot because of the odd cut on the end of that strip. Try it a see what happens, otherwise, just fill it in and glass the crap out of the bow area. I think I put about 6 or 8 layers on the bow when I did mine for added protection if I ever rammed into a dock or something. Look great overall though, and really look forward to following the build. Mike

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 am
by Colemanfire
Thanks Seaslug, It has gone together quite well, and yes this is the way the kit came.I have done no modifications. That seam you are talking about is where the two separate panels meet at the bow. Either way there will be a little funky area that I will have to fill and shape up witch is no big deal I don't think. my plan of attack tonight is to see if I can get the bow mold out, and cut it back where it meets frame A so that I can still keep the shape of the bow to mold to. Fun Stuff!!

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am
by topwater
If you get your bow mold out you might want drill some holes along the forward edge so you can pass zipties thru
and snug the ends of your bow strips down . They don't have to meet along the front edge " i had 3/8" gap along my bow [img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 2.JPG/[img]
[img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 0.JPG/[img]
[img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 4.JPG/[img]
Just check out my build gallery Topwater NV 23 you can see the pic's there , I can't post pic's anymore since
changing to a Mac .

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:18 am
by Jaysen
topwater wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am If you get your bow mold out you might want drill some holes along the forward edge so you can pass zipties thru
and snug the ends of your bow strips down . They don't have to meet along the front edge " i had 3/8" gap along my bow
TW, you had the closing /img a bit off... the / has to go inside the [

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 am
by topwater
Thanks Jaysen , for some reason when i paste it i loose one bracket and i have to go in and place it .
I missed :doh:

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:24 am
by Reid
John,

Looks great!! In order to get the bow to come together I would follow AA's advise. I would either slide the entire boat forward a little on the frames or simply shave off some of the bow frame. Once the bow frame is out of the way it will come together nicely.

Reid

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 am
by Colemanfire
Great advice Topwater I will defiantly use that trick!!!!

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:51 pm
by Colemanfire
got the bow mold cut and back in closed the bow up seems pretty good, still have a dip in the bow. I will fill and shape with filler.
going to let sit over night, and start the filler tomorrow afternoon.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 pm
by Jeff
Colemanfire, looks really good!! Nice progress!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:19 pm
by Fuzz
No problem with that bow. Wood Flour glue will cover up a ton of stuff :D

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:12 am
by bateau-webmaster
This thread is now on the Build Threads page.

Thanks for posting! Can't wait to see her come together.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:16 am
by Reid
Colemanfire,

Looks good!!! Just like Fuzz said, the EZ Fillet will solve those issues.

Reid

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:31 am
by Colemanfire
Thanks Reid, I figured I could fill it. This kit has been a breeze to put together so far. Great Product and customer Service!! So to all of you guys Thinking of doing this build, Get on it!!!

Thanks again for all the help so far on this form.

John

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:45 pm
by Colemanfire
Started Fillet today. Waiting to dry, then will remove zip ties and start the fillet and shaping.

John

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 pm
by Jeff
John, really well done!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 pm
by Colemanfire
Thanks, Jeff

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:24 am
by TomW1
Really nice am closely watch your build as I think this boat is going to be a big seller.

Tom

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 pm
by MrPaul
Any progress to be reported on this boat?

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:21 pm
by Colemanfire
I was away for the weekend so nothing done till today.Got off a little early and sanded and filled.Here are some pictures.

John

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:34 pm
by Jeff
Very nice Colemanfire!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 pm
by Browndog
Very cool!

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:40 pm
by MrPaul
Nice! The 3rd pic shows the rounding on the hull coming out really well.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:25 am
by TomW1
Very nice keep up the good work!

Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:04 am
by Eric1
It's looking quite good! Thank you for posting pictures!!

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:32 pm
by fishgitr
It's looking great!

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:28 pm
by Colemanfire
OK I think she's ready to start tapping. Bow is shaped and all sanded. Stern is level and flat. Here are the pictures.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:04 pm
by Jeff
Colemanfire, looking great!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:12 pm
by Reid
Colemanfire,

Looks great! You are doing some really nice and clean work!!

Reid

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:42 pm
by Colemanfire
Decided to keep going got her taped up to.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 pm
by cape man
Looking good.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:55 pm
by Fuzz
Yep, nice looking tape job :!: Really clean looking build so far.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:14 pm
by Eric1
Not a thing wrong with that. Build On! :D

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:21 pm
by peter-curacao
That bow profile looks great

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:34 pm
by Browndog
Sweet tape job. Keep it up.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:45 pm
by Jeff
Nice, very well done!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:12 pm
by willg
You are really trucking along, and doing an outstanding job!

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:21 pm
by seaslug
You're doing a great job, I'm jealous, I would love to build this boat, and excited to see one finished. No pressure of course! Build on. Mike

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:19 am
by TomW1
Nice job, keep it up and keep the pictures coming

Tom

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:36 am
by tcason
Not sure what the experts say But I would aggressive sand the tape before glassing.

Tapering the edges where it meets the wood hopefully will save some fairing. My experience is one hour of sanding now saves two hours of sanding and fairing later in the build.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:49 am
by Colemanfire
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.

tcason: Every thing I've seen on here the tape has been sanded and edges knocked down, so that is my plan. Even thought about maybe fairing the tape a little before I put the glass on, but now I think it would be a waste of time, and product. Maybe the pros can comment on that.

Thanks Again Guys.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 pm
by fishgitr
I agree. There will little nipples that stick up and it will create air bubbles. That's why it's a big thing to do wet on wet.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:14 pm
by fishgitr
Also if it's been over 24 hours you will want to sand to get a good surface to stick to.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:28 pm
by Colemanfire
Does anyone have plans on the LM18? I have an important question. Trying to cut and layout the fiberglass for the boat, but think I have a material issue.
plans call for the over lap of glass on the keel, and on the chine of at least 6". When I layout one side of the boat with the 52" wide cloth, if I were to cut the first sheet from the 6" past the keel to the 6" past the chine the material that I have left would get nowhere close to covering from the side of the boat to 6" past the chine. to get this I would have to roll out a and cut the cloth, and I don't know if the build material in the kit will cover this. The kit came with 18 yards if cloth that is 52" wide.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 pm
by Colemanfire
Got it figured out. Had to go grab some more fiberglass form Boat Builder the kit does not include the glass to cover the whole side of the boat.
got to get the boat out of the garage today, and sanded the tape. here are some pictures of the whole boat, so you guys can see how is shaped. I did get the boat glassed tonight, just didn't get pictures yet. will take in the morning.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:28 am
by fishgitr
WOW!! What a great looking boat!

The spot where it is touching the strong back, back sure there is no pressure there. It will leave the side not sitting in a natural position.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:56 am
by Colemanfire
Thanks fishgitr. A frame is right there, and all is even where the frame meets the side of the boat at that point.
Got the boat glassed last night. Going to Church this morning, and after going to pull the boat out and take pictures.

I need some advice from the experts on the sanding and faring. how much do I sand into the 12 ounce cloth? or do I just lightly knock down and fill the weave with the faring product. this is where I tend to sand to much in the past, and burn through cloth.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:58 am
by fishgitr
I knock down all the roughness sticking up. Don't do too much. Then I use a roller and roll on fairing to fill all the weave. Usually three times.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 am
by poleposition
Congrats on the build---looks like the kit certainly made it easier / quicker on rounding the chine. Will you be installing a tunnel? IIRC, I think I read somewhere that the process is different than on the XF-20 ( ?? )

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:18 am
by poleposition
oops---whereas you've already glassed the hull, it looks like I found the answer to whether you're gonna build the tunnel:

per the building notes:

Do not modify the tunnel shape, do not try to vent the tunnel, it would defeat one of the tunnel goals which is to produce a hump, in which the prop will run.

We want the water to feed the tunnel as smoothly as possible and for that reason, the inside corners are rounded. The seams between the tunnel, and the bottom should be rounded too but the end of the tunnel should be very sharp. Sharp edges at the transom will facilitate the separation of the water flow, coming out of the tunnel.

Unlike in our XF20, the tunnel is incorporated into the plywood hull, on the jig, before any fiberglassing. Pay attention to the fairness of the bottom hull panels along the tunnel. The plans show a jig to support the tunnel but the builder may want to add a couple of temporary longitudinal supports, for the sides of the bottom. We want to avoid a rocker there. A straight bottom is very important. A little of a hook will work, a rocker will handicap performance.

Add one sheet of 6 mm Okoume to the BOM and build the tunnel as a plywood box. Install the tunnel on the jig Plank the hull and tab the seams. Fiberglass the complete outside with the wide fabric. Proceed as with the standard hull, but pay attention to the extra tabbing around the tunnel.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:52 pm
by Colemanfire
OK here's the weekend progress pictures.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:55 pm
by peter-curacao
Holey moley are you on speed or something? :lol: you are going like crazy and it looks good also, a combo you don't see often 8)

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 pm
by MrPaul
peter-curacao wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:55 pm Holey moley are you on speed or something? :lol: you are going like crazy and it looks good also, a combo you don't see often 8)
I was just thinking the same thing.

Abra kadabra a la kazam! Let there be a boat.

Looks like you just pulled a nice build out of a hat.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 pm
by Stareed
What size power plant are you considering? I am about to purchase plans and have been doing planning and rough expense calculations, I see that most FS18 guys go with a 25hp, but I was considering a 30 or maybe even a 40. Thoughts?

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:08 am
by Colemanfire
Stareed, I was thinking the same on power. 30 or 40 HP on a manual jack plate, but have really haven't got any farther than that, just concentrating on the outside hull, and once I turn the boat things will slow down a lot, to think out the layout of the boat with the placement of fuel tank and equipment layouts. I will need all the experts to chime in on the pros and cons of layout at that point. I plan on making the front deck larger I think it was going to be about 7'. I'm going to have a custom grab bar built with a cooler holder and a seat in the front, and a polling platform. So once the boat is turned, I will need think about all the reinforcements needed. Also I know nothing about wiring, and electric, So that part will be fun for all!!

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:13 pm
by Stareed
Colemanfire,
Thanks for the reply. My thoughts were to have a small side console with only a tach and electronics switches. Called today to my local Evenrude dealer, thought the guy was insane when he quoted me 5965.00 for a 30 e-tec with tilt and trim and 600.00 for the controls. I am well aware of anything marine is expensive ( My last boat had twin Yamaha 200's) but 7000 ( with tax) for a 30! I just cant force myself to pay anywhere near that for a 30hp. I will do a lot more checking around, there has to be better choices.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 pm
by seaslug
Excellent work shaping the hull and laying the glass. My FS18 with a 20 hp Does 26 mph, so I think a 30 hp would be just about right, although we all do like to go fast sometimes. I have no idea what the weight difference will be for a 30 verse a 40, but since this is meant to be a light weight shallow draft fishing machine, it's something to consider. Hurry up now and finish, we all want to see this new design floating. Great work, build on. Mike

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:29 am
by cape man
I am going to repower my OD18 this year going from a 40 to a 70, and will be trying to sell the 40. 2006 Yamaha 40TLR with a stainless prop. Works fine and ive maintained it well, but just not enough when I'm loaded with more than two guys and gear. It weighs 7 pounds more than the Etech 30 according to their specs. Let me know if you're interested. Won't have any controls as I'm buying a Yamaha again which will plug and play when I swap them out. I'm South of you about 3 hours.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:43 pm
by Reid
Colemanfire,

The LM18 looks awesome!!! You are definitely setting the bar high for this new design. Keep up the good work!

Reid

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 pm
by Colemanfire
Thanks Reid.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:54 pm
by Colemanfire
Back at it this weekend. Installed the skegs and sharpened the edges. Also was able to prime the first coat, and working on the little imperfections now.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:56 pm
by fishgitr
Wow it's looking great! Nice work!

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:04 pm
by Browndog
Fast work. Great Job!

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:40 pm
by Colemanfire
Well I finally got to get back on track and finished the rub rails, and got two more coats of primer on the hull. going to let primer dry through the weekend. Thinking of painting the boat Bikini Blue by Pettit. here are the pictures of the boat ready for paint.

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:09 pm
by willg
Sweet! Looks great!

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:20 pm
by Eric1
I can't wait to see it painted! Good Job!

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:16 pm
by Jeff
Colemanfire, really nice work and she looks great!!! I know Reid ordered your paint earlier today!! Again, great build and yours will be the first Laguna Madre 18 finished!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 pm
by Colemanfire
Thanks for the great service Jeff.

Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:27 pm
by TomW1
Looking great guy when you decide on a motor you will probably put a jack plate on also. Let me know and if you want I can help with the prop selection. You will definitely want a four blade prop as it will hold more water at higher prop heights. But that's a ways off as you haven't flipped yet.

Tom

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 am
by Colemanfire
Thanks Tom,

That part is concerning me, I plan on installing a manual micro jack plate, but have no idea where to mount the bracket. I know it will depend on the height of the motor. I plan on buying a used 30 to 40 HP motor. I plan on painting the hull this weekend, and will flip after its dried. I will spend some time on the forum looking at all the layouts of the different builds, and come up with a plan on my layout.at that time there will be plenty of questions. Thanks Again.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:53 am
by jacquesmm
The safe way is to have the motor and the bracket before you cut the transom.
Otherwise, you need the exact dimensions for each.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm
by TomW1
Did you cut the transom for a 20" motor shaft, If so your in good shape. Nearly all 30 and 40HP motors are a pretty standard 20" shaft. Since the 1980's the bolt pattern has been standardized by the ABYC/BIA. Here are some measurements/templates https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tr ... ORM=IQFRBA

Tom

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm
by Colemanfire
Need some advice. I am painting the boat with Pettit EZ Poxy, I put the first coat of paint on the boat on Wednesday. I have the tipping streaks in the dried paint. the EZ Poxy is a one part system, with the tipping additive mixed in at 10% (I think I measured right but now second guessing). Does this mean I did not put enough additive in, or didn't tip the rolled on paint in time.
Do I need to wet sand the tipping strokes out before I put on the next coat of paint. Need to get figured out before next coat.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:36 pm
by terrulian
I used Brightside, Interlux's version of a similar one-part epoxy. I had to do a lot of trial and error and really struggled with it. I could never eliminate the brush strokes when I tipped. However, I found that rolling on the paint thoroughly in a small area of say 2x2 feet, and then coming back immeidately with the same roller and barely touching the paint to eliminate bubbles, works excellently and effortlessly. Here's my Catalina 22 painted that way:

and my V10:

It may not work for you; many have reported problems with rollers, but this is a cheap 6" foam roller, and I can do it now without thinking about it at all. It's a pretty personal thing that I could only conquer with a bunch of tries.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:53 pm
by Jeff
Colemanfire, although I am sure it is the distance that makes the difference, your LM18 looks great in the photos!! Can you try to get us some close-ups of the paint?? I like the bikini blue color from Pettit!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:56 pm
by Evan_Gatehouse
When I've used 1 part (or 2 part) I always wet sand with 220 between coats. First coat looks so-so, second will be great.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:32 pm
by Colemanfire
here are some photos of the streaks in the paint.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:20 pm
by Jaysen
I think the axiom is “the fish don’t care”. And if it won’t impact performance should you?

But then I’m not a finish guy so I’m ok with stuff like that. Entirely up to you.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:34 pm
by Aripeka Angler
It looks pretty good but you are not happy. As good of job that you have done on your boat, you need to be happy.
As said earlier, wet sand the boat until it's smooth and apply more paint.
Which makes me want to ask a few questions.
What type of roller did you use?
What brand and type of tipping brush did you use?
Roll and tip means just that. Roll an area about 2 foot square and tip. Move on, don't go back and fuss with it.
Put the paint on thin. Don't be afraid to add some extra reducer or whatever you are cutting with. The paint has to flow and not be too sticky to smooth itself out. Have a tray of reducer handy to keep the tip of the brush moist so it doesn't drag and leave marks. Not too wet, moist. I personally tip lightly horizontally then finish vertically. I get less runs if the final tip is vertical. Keep your tray covered to discourage evaporation when you are tipping. Don't be afraid to add a capful of reducer to the paint if you think it's getting too thick. Work fast and deliberate. Don't get too caught up in looking back, do the best you can and keep moving. This is the way I paint for what it's worth...

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 pm
by seaslug
I've painted a 68 foot Trumpy yacht twice with Easy Poxy, and it was a huge hull. Both times were in the middle of the hot summer weather in St. Augustine, and the only, and best way to get this paint to flow out nicely is by adding Flood brand Penetroll. You can add as much of this additive as you need to get it to flow out without altering the color of the paint, so add whatever it takes. On a really hot day working outside in the sun, we may have had close to a 50-50 mix. On a big hull like this we had 1 person rolling, 1 tipping, always vertical to avoid sags, and 1 continuously pouring and mixing in more Penetrol to keep the paint flowing well. Also what Richard said, if it starts to drag the paint and feel tacky, either switch to a new brush, or do a quick dip in mineral spirits and wipe it clean. Most important thing is to always use a high quality natural bristle brush, never synthetic bristles for oil base or epoxy paints, and a wide brush is best, 2-4", never a dinky little brush. Roll the paint on thin with a foam roller, and only tip once vertically, than leave it alone. Penetrol is available in Lowes and H. Depot, or any paint store in qt cans. I can't emphasize enough; never use Easy Poxy without Penetrol if you want a good finish. Mike

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:22 pm
by Fuzz
I would follow AA and Seaslugs advice. Both of them are master craftsmen and have built beautiful boats :!:

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:38 am
by terrulian
Just a discouraging word:
I tried everything they've suggested, save the penetroll, and didn't really do much better than I had earlier. But I was using Brightside, which may be different.
I think an awful lot of this boils down to experience and perhaps a bit of natural talent.
I never had any luck getting rid of the streaks with any brush, no matter how expensive; but I'll bet either AA or Seaslug could have done a much better job with crappy brushes than I did with expensive ones. It's like playing BB King's guitar; you're not going to sound like him.
I just kept experimenting until something clicked for me.

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:07 am
by seaslug
I don't have experience with other oil based paints, but without a lot of Penetrol, Easy Poxy doesn't flow out well enough for roll and tip. If you're spraying it, just thinning with mineral spirits would work, but don't thin it with mineral spirits at all when rolling, thin it only with Penetrol. You'll be amazed at how well the paint will flow, and you'll get better gloss. I have no special ability with painting, but I do know a really good brush makes a huge difference in whether you'll see brush marks. Make sure to use natural bristle for oil or epoxy based paints, and synthetic for water based. Also as Richard said, worked as fast as you can, without panicking of course, and be organized to start so there are no stops and starts during the process. You always need to keep a wet edge, so don't move too far down the hull before tipping, 2 feet max, I usually tip every 12-16", and only 1 very light stroke, than leave it alone. If a little way down the hull you look back and see an especially horrific drip or run, give it a light tip, but as long as it's not the final coat, you'll be sanding anyway. Good luck, I know it's nerve wracking. Mike

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 am
by Aripeka Angler
I use only Corona brushes for tipping, they are really nice! We used them on the my XF, Seth's XF, the GF12 and my canoe.
It may sound kind of extravagant but I use one for two or three coats and grab a new one for the final coat.
I repurpose them into paint or chip brushes once the tips are no longer pristine.
You may already be using this Corona brush? If not, find can them here in online store.
https://boatbuildercentral.com/proddeta ... ona_europa

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:42 am
by Colemanfire
First off,Thanks every one for all the reply's.

I am pleased with how the boat is turning out. The biggest thing is I thought I did something wrong, and wanted to fix it on the final coat. like Jaysen previously stated the fish don't care about streaks.

Going to use AA, and Seaslug's advise. Will head to Lowes today to get Penetrol, and I have the satin additive waiting for me at Boat Builder Central I will grab a couple Corona brushes for the final coat.

One last question for Seaslug. I didn't like the gloss finish to much, so I'm going to use the satin additive by Pettit mixed in for the final coat, Do you think the Penetrol will be fine with this additive.

Again thanks for all the forum members for helping me build this Boat. John

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:11 am
by seaslug
No problem using the flattening agent with the Penetrol. I've also used the Corona brushes for over 25 years, and they are very good quality for the price. And don't be afraid to add a lot of Penetrol to get the paint to flow nicely and lay down flat. It won't alter the color at all, so start with about 20% by volume and see how it works.

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:46 am
by Jeff
Colemanfire, Take the guidance from SeaSlug, he does excellent work!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:48 am
by Jeff
Colemanfire, Sorry, typing too fast!! I wanted to say to take the advice of both AA & SeaSlug!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 am
by pee wee
FYI, you will lost a bit of life of the finish if you add a flatting agent. I don't know how much difference there will be, but if you don't like shiny then it doesn't much matter. Boat is looking good, I like the color.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:05 pm
by Spokaloo
This boat has caught my eye, I'll be watching the rest of the build intently.

E

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 pm
by fishgitr
It's been almost a month and he hasn't posted anything...were missing this..

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:23 am
by Marshall Moser
I'm really interested in this build.

Colemanfire, did you get the brush stroke issues worked out?

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:36 pm
by Jeff
Guys, I will call him tomorrow and get an update on the LM18 build and some photos on the Forum!! Happy holidays, Jeff

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 pm
by Colemanfire
SORRY GUYS!

I have not been able to put the last coat on the boat, the real world kind of got in the way. I've been super busy with work haven't even looked at the forum till tonight. I put it off the last coat for a while, with the cooler weather I didn't know how that would affect the roll and tip streak situation.
BUT!! I have plans to paint tomorrow.

I promise after the holidays I will get back hot and heavy. I will be flipping and starting on the inside.

Will send pictures tomorrow.

John

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:34 pm
by Jeff
Great to hear from you John!! Happy holidays and we will be looking for photos after Christmas!!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:56 am
by Colemanfire
Thanks Jeff, Happy Holidays to your and your family.

I need some advice on a power plant. I have been looking at motors for this boat, was thinking of 30 to 40 Hp. But have found a couple 0f 50 Hp tillers in a pretty good price range, but are mostly 20" shafts. I am guessing the biggest thing I need to worry about is the weight and shaft lengths right??
The plan is to install a manual jack plate and spring loaded trim tabs. the weight of the motor is 248lb its not a 4stroke.

Can I install a 20" shaft with the jack plate set at the right height???

Here are the weight distributions I have configured so far.
Poling platform will be all set on the back deck not off the back so that when polling my weight will be more in the boat than off the back.
cranking battery will be in the back hatch below the seat area.
middle of the boat will have a grab rail with 35 Yeti cooler pocket and in front of that a helm chair built in. so passenger weight if I have on will be more forward.
The front deck is one foot larger than plans, so it will come into the flooring deck further back planning on putting 13 gallon fuel tank at that point, or further in the bow if what weight needs to be towards the front more.
One hatch up front for storage of life jackets and misc. small storage
One last future install may be a battery up front for a trolling motor if I decide to put one on.

Now, I have to get to painting the last coat one the hull!!!!!!!!

Sorry for Slacking.
John

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:11 am
by jacquesmm
It's a big engine for a small boat but if you don't mind the trim, the transom can take it.
I assume that you build the low sheer version because the standard boat is designed for a 20" shaft.
Build her with the closed transom for a jack plate, no problem but pick the jack plate before completing the transom. Or get a paper template from the jack plate manufacturer.
It is very easy to adjust the height of the transom before you cut the plywood, difficult afterwards.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:42 am
by fallguy1000
Two stroke or four?

50hp Merc 4 weight 248#
70hp Yammie 4 257#

Just so you know; not sure what your are rated for...

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:06 am
by fishgitr
I am just thinking.. are you building the boat for speed and when you stand on the ass in poling the whole nose is out of the water? or shallow drafting, poling boat that sits with a good level trim?

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:31 pm
by Colemanfire
I built the standard version of the boat, I just put the final coat of paint on the hull, and I'm going to flip in a week. That should give the paint plenty of time to harden. So now I know what the shaft length the boat was designed for, that will help with the placement of the jack plate.

I guess I need to state what I'm building the boat for.

I'm building this boat to pole for red fish, and fish the flats and docks in my area, I want the boat to do what its designed for witch is poling in shallow waters when I point the boat in a direction I want it to go that way on a flat level trim, but I would like to put the best HP engine on the boat that will do the above, and also give good performance to jump up on a plane if I have my family (3 People) with me. this is why I went with the LM-18 and not the FS-18. I'm asking the forums opinion on what size they think that motor would be, 30hp, 40hp, or 50hp. I would like to be able to run 30 mph, in case of a long run.

I really don't care if the motor is 2 stroke or 4 stroke. the 2 stroke would help in weight and performance.
the motors I've found in the price range I want to send are from the year 2000 to 2010.

Thanks,
John

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:38 pm
by fishgitr
I would say a new 25 Yammie however if you have three people youre not going to hit 30 I don't believe. Maybe a spare prop for when you have three vs two. However you will have lightweight boat and able to do what the boat was design for. Go to say a 40 then you pick up probably close to 100 lbs and then your rear will sit low/ dip down in the water. You will also be able to run 30mph with three people.

I had to think of the same thing when I built my FS18. I ended up with a 75lbs Mercury 15 that pushes low to mid 20 with two people. its light enough that two guys can drag it across a sandbar to get to tidal pools in the back creeks. I have learned to launch closer to where im going to fish. However I did run about 30 miles the other day. What a trek....

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:45 pm
by fishgitr
If you have to run say 5 miles (for me that's a long run) 25mph (Yamaha 25) 12 minutes or 40hp and 100lbs heavier and more gas @ 30mph 10 minutes. Not much difference.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:16 pm
by seaslug
I think that if your primary reason for building the boat is for sight fishing Reds in very shallow water, poling for long periods of time, a 40-50 hp motor is too heavy, especially with a jack plate, trim tabs, and a battery aft. On my FS18 I have a 4 stroke 20 hp Merc with power trim weighing 156 lbs. with no jack plate, or trim tabs, and my little stating battery is forward. WOT is 26 mph, so I would think a 30hp would get you somewhere in the 25-30 mph range, maybe more, and as Fishgitr says, unless your really dead set on hitting 30+, I would try to keep it as light as possible. You could easily have 150-200 more lbs. than mine at the transom, and if you're a large person, say 200+ lbs. it may be hard to get a nice trim unless you stick a bunch of weight in the bow. The most common mistake I see with 'flats boats', is that everyone tends to over power them, and you loose the shallow draft and easy poling advantage the boat was designed for. If you do end up with a 40-50 hp, at least put the battery up front, I think you'll need the weight up there, especially if you fish alone often. Good luck with whatever you decide, I can't wait to see this one finished. Mike

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:03 am
by jacquesmm
Thank you Seaslug.

As a designer, I work hard on reducing draft as much as possible and cringe when I see an heavy engine on the transom with the boat trimmed down by the stern. That bad trim increases draft by several inches. All that HP is rarely necessary.
A 20 HP Suzuki which is around 100 lbs and more than enough power for the LM18.
Yes, you can go 5 mph faster with a 50 but you will not reach the shallow spots for which the boat was designed.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:13 am
by fallguy1000
I am not voting for any specific motor, but a little confused.

I would highly doubt going from a 20 to a 50 is 5mph. And I hate to argue with an old salty sailor.

And as for draft; does the 50hp drop the transom 1” or 3”? This is a real question. What does that extra 50 or 100 pounds do.

Keep in mind, I know zero about flats fishing in FL!

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:20 pm
by jacquesmm
OK, that was a way of speaking, the difference will be more than 5 mph.
Let me do the math, I will edit the post later.

OK, done.
If for a given load the boat makes 27 mph with a 20, it will go 41 with 50 HP.
It is true that the difference is larger than 5 mph but it is not reasonable to go that fast with such a small boat. Instead of 27, you may go 30 to 35. Above 35, there is a ABYC/USCG that limits the HP by a maneuverability test and the LM18 as most small boats of that size and type will not pass that test unless you begin to play with fins. The hull shape is great for running the flats but there is not enough vee for the maneuverability.
I ran the PH16 prototype at 55 mph with a 70 but that was for testing and the boat is wider, more stable.
And yes, I know people go much faster, you can go faster with the LM18 but I can not recommend it, it's a matter of liability.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:27 pm
by fallguy1000
jacquesmm wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:20 pm OK, that was a way of speaking, the difference will be more than 5 mph.
Let me do the math, I will edit the post later.

OK, done.
If for a given load the boat makes 27 mph with a 20, it will go 41 with 50 HP.
It is true that the difference is larger than 5 mph but it is not reasonable to go that fast with such a small boat. Instead of 27, you may go 30 to 35. Above 35, there is a ABYC/USCG that limits the HP by a maneuverability test and the LM18 as most small boats of that size and type will not pass that test unless you begin to play with fins. The hull shape is great for running the flats but there is not enough vee for the maneuverability.
I ran the PH16 prototype at 55 mph with a 70 but that was for testing and the boat is wider, more stable.
And yes, I know people go much faster, you can go faster with the LM18 but I can not recommend it, it's a matter of liability.
Thank you Jacques for a most excellent and informative post. I am guessing you have some chine walk concerns-makes good sense.

All the best-enjoy the holiday.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:47 pm
by fishgitr
Greatly explained Seaslug and JM.

And personally for me up here in North Florida running the flats, I wouldn't even have a pack plate. I feel as its just added weight. These boats run super shallow already. I usually motor to where I need to be and pole with the tide the rest of the way. I am a bigger guy so every pound I can save is good!!

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:54 pm
by fishgitr
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:13 am I am not voting for any specific motor, but a little confused.

I would highly doubt going from a 20 to a 50 is 5mph. And I hate to argue with an old salty sailor.

And as for draft; does the 50hp drop the transom 1” or 3”? This is a real question. What does that extra 50 or 100 pounds do.

Keep in mind, I know zero about flats fishing in FL!

My opinion is yes it will drop the draft probably close to 5". You say yea its only 100 pounds. It 100 lbs in just a little area(back of boat) if it was spread out over the whole boat maybe only an inch. This is because of the surface area that it is being distributed on.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:55 pm
by njwelsh
John,

My two cents on power. You do not want to put a 50hp engine on what is intended to be a minimal lightweight poling skiff. It will be too heavy and will be dangerous. It sounds like your primary purpose is poling and sight fishing. Power accordingly. It will be a great 2 man skiff. If you plan to take mama and the kids on a short outing here and there, this boat will not be ideal, but will get it done. If you want a family boat, build another boat.

Smart used engine choices:
Yamaha 25 2 stroke - 106 lbs
Mercury 25 2 stroke w/ power tilt - 112 lbs
Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 - 132 lbs
Yamaha 2 cylinder 30 - 112 lbs

New engine models are much heavier.
Yamaha 25 4 stroke - 172lbs
Yama 30 (and 40) 4 stroke 214 lbs.

I don't have data at my finger tips on Suzuki weights, but JM says a 20 weighs approx. 100lbs. If the finished hull is under 400 lbs, any of these smaller engines should perform nicely.

One of the earlier posts says something about a 248 lb engine. For point of reference my Maverick HPX 17 has a 70 2 stroke that weighs 229 lbs. A 2 stroke Yamaha 40 weighs 190 lbs.

This boat probably does not need a 40. You will be pleased with its fishing performance with an engine that weighs under 150. You will be disappointed with a heavy (but faster) engine.

Yamaha numbers are sourced from Yamaha owner's manuals. With some effort, patience and luck, you can find a good used 2 stroke engine in your budget. They are easier to work on, too.

Hope this helps.

Boat looks fantastic. Look forward to your flip and continued progress.

John

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:16 pm
by poleposition
^
FWIW, the new Yamaha F25EFI, which is a 25hp four stroke w/ electronic fuel injection, only weighs 126 lbs per the manufacturers' website. It would be the ideal engine for this boat, imho.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/ ... -specialty

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:50 pm
by TomW1
I am going to be a bit of a contrarian on this. The LM is 10" wider than the FS and can support the extra 80lbs of the 30 or 40. If he is going to be running longer distances to the fishing grounds I would put the 30 or 40 on. Also going with a 30 or 40HP motor allows a lot more choice in propellers.

The 25 is a fine motor and if you don't need to run far to the fishing grounds go with it.

Tom

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:24 pm
by poleposition
I read this on microskiff.com and will give you a frame of reference using the 25hp Yamaha I mentioned above since the numbers are comparable:

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/rede ... ost-390059

" Ok so I have got some more realistic numbers from my Yamaha F25. So total boat weight for these numbers is approx. 600lb with two people total weight 300lb so around 900lbs. I was running 29.6 to 30.2 on my Raymarine Dragonfly Pro. 6100 rpms with stock 11 1/4 pitch prop. Hole shot is decent. I have an atlas micro jacker i am running with the ACP just skimming the top of the waterline. I dont have power trim and tilt so I have the trim pin set for better running capabilities rather than hole shot. These numbers came from running the skiff in the lake behind my house so there is no current to effect the mph numbers. Hope this helps."

Having forgotten this was the LM18, I am in agreement w/ Tom. While the 25 hp will probably give you all the speed you probably want @ wot, I would rather run a larger motor @ 3/4 throttle than run full throttle continuously w/ a smaller motor.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:49 am
by swglenn
Tohatsu has a new 4 stroke 40/50 HP motor that starts at 209#, T/T would add some weight. We have a strong local dealer that is selling a lot of these motors to the fishermen for use on the rivers and marshes in SW Louisiana. Nothing but raves on performance and reliability. I talked to an owner on the river and he said he was topping out at 48 mph with two people and fishing gear in a 17' aluminum boat while still having a strong holeshot.

One of our great private marsh fishing sites is limited to 25 HP and the Tohatsu 25HP motor is really popular there.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm
by TomW1
swglenn that puts the 40 and 50 weights in the same range as the 30 and 40 Yamaha's which are 214 lbs.

Thanks for the info as those are good motors and to have a 50 that light would be helpful for some of the boats here.

Tom

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 am
by Colemanfire
Wow now I'm really confused on what size engine.....

Right now I'm looking for a used 30 to 40hp engine for the boat. I will have some long runs on certain days, depending on where I chose to fish.
most of the engines that I have called on nobody seems to know weights. this is where I wish I was not the genie pig on this boat, I will be basing my final decision mostly on the comments I read here, because I have no experience in this area, I will say that I don't want to under power the boat, I would like to be able to run the boat at a max speed of 30MPH. is this a realistic goal to have and still have the boat perform in shallow water polling? Most of the motors in my price range have been Yamaha and Mercs. Is there some place I can look up weights of the older engines on the web say 2000 to 2008 year?

John

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:23 am
by Spokaloo
John, if you get a good estimate of the EXACT all up weight of your boat, it's relatively easy to calculate the top speed for a given hp.

Thus, get all your gear weights, what you will carry on the boat, what you and all of your passengers weigh, and add that to the hull weight of the boat. Don't forget things like outboard brackets too. Then one of us can push it through an equation to see what number of horsepower are required to move your given amount of weight. It's simple, and usually effective to within 2-3 mph if you have accurate weights.

E

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 am
by silentneko
I think KBB lists the outboard weights still. I'd advise you to look carefully at it for the 30-40hp motors, because that's usually the breakover for weight class.

For example many 25 and 30hp use the same blocks and weigh about the same, but a 40hp may use the same block as a 50 and 60hp, meaning for 10hp more you will gain a ton of weight. It's a basic cost benefit analysis to see if the speed is enough to warrant the weight.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:42 pm
by Mc_Fly
That’s what made my choice the Yamaha F25. 126lb or 135 for electric start and 20” shaft. Went and eyed one today. Literally the same size as the merc 9.9.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:50 pm
by Jeff
I would really like to hear what quote you received on the new Yamaha 25. We have priced it here on the Treasure Coast of Florida but so far the suppliers do not have any in stock!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 pm
by Marshall Moser
swglenn wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:49 am Tohatsu has a new 4 stroke 40/50 HP motor that starts at 209#
I'd put this as ideal for this boat heavily laden.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:38 pm
by K2FS18
I have the new Yamaha 25 on my FS18. It was topping out about 28 mph with the stock aluminum prop. I repropped with a SS 4 blade to by able to run jack plate up as high as possible. Now it tops at 24mph +/-, but the centerline of the lower unit is up about 4" from bottom of transom. I don't think I really over built my FS18, but some said it weighed a lot, but that was fully rigged. About 440#'s if I remember with everything but the motor and fuel.

I am sure if I propped for speed I could push 30mph plus, but running shallow and popping up on plane where my goals.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 pm
by Mc_Fly
Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:50 pm I would really like to hear what quote you received on the new Yamaha 25. We have priced it here on the Treasure Coast of Florida but so far the suppliers do not have any in stock!! Jeff
Getting mine at dealer cost from a friend. The price for this one today was 3540 plus tax for short shaft electric start. Boathouse marine on beach blvd in jax, fl.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:22 pm
by Mc_Fly
K2FS18 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:38 pm I have the new Yamaha 25 on my FS18. It was topping out about 28 mph with the stock aluminum prop. I repropped with a SS 4 blade to by able to run jack plate up as high as possible. Now it tops at 24mph +/-, but the centerline of the lower unit is up about 4" from bottom of transom. I don't think I really over built my FS18, but some said it weighed a lot, but that was fully rigged. About 440#'s if I remember with everything but the motor and fuel.

I am sure if I propped for speed I could push 30mph plus, but running shallow and popping up on plane where my goals.
I'm hoping for 22-25mph with the lm18

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm
by Jeff
Mc_Fly, that is a great price!! I have not found one anywhere less than $4,200!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm
by TomW1
Mc_Fly the 25 should do you fine. It will probably come with an aluminum prop. If you want me to help you prop it with a SS let me know.

Tom

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:17 pm
by Mc_Fly
Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm Mc_Fly, that is a great price!! I have not found one anywhere less than $4,200!! Jeff

That’s crazy. Ellis marine in Brunswick has motors in stock for right at 3,600.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 pm
by Mc_Fly
TomW1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm Mc_Fly the 25 should do you fine. It will probably come with an aluminum prop. If you want me to help you prop it with a SS let me know.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I’ll take you on up on it for sure.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 am
by K2FS18
I really like the Yamaha 25. Very smooth running. The trolling adjustment comes in handy, you can kick the rpm's down to 750 or up to 1050. Didn't think I would use that, but find myself using it to get out of no wake zones, trolling around the outside of a group of surface bait feeders, etc.

This motor shaft is longer. The 20" version is about 21.5" and the 15" is about 17". If you plan on mounting directly to the transom, you may want to get the motor sooner and adjust the transom height to the actual shaft length. Otherwise you could make a aluminum setback plate with the proper height if you don't use a Bob's JP.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:59 am
by cape man
Lindsay Marine in Stuart where I bought my 70 said he could get the 25 for $3,100.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 am
by TomW1
cape man is that for the base 25 or for the one with trim and tilt, what ever that is a dang good price? Also guys I would put a jack plate on so you can raise the motor to maximize overall performance.. Don't worry about shaft length, I would always go with a 20" shaft if I had a choice.. A mini jack plate will let you adjust for the differences.

Also don't worry about the distance of the shaft. The angle of the transom is 20" while the motor hangs straight down and is about 21"

Tom,

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:10 pm
by texasdrifter
Hey Coleman,

Any progress on the build or still playing around with motors?

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:35 pm
by Colemanfire
Well Honey Do list is done and time to get back at it so I can get this thing done and in the water!!!!!

Was able to get the boat flipped this after noon, and grinded out the extra Fillet. Next I will get ready to fill corners and tape this week and will be back on track with this build.....

Here are some pictures of the boat flipped and on the strong back.

Thanks, John

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:46 pm
by Jeff
Colemanfire, good to hear from you!! I really like that color blue!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 am
by Colemanfire
Got to Fill and tape last night....

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:37 pm
by Reid
Nice work John!!!

-Reid

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:53 pm
by Colemanfire
Got a little bit of progress going.
Inside of the boat got glassed on friday. I was able to glue the stringers and glass them in the boat today.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:01 pm
by alanmccabe
Looking Great

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:17 pm
by Jeff
Nice progress John!!! Good seeing you last week!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:11 pm
by Colemanfire
more progress!!!

Need some layout advise. I'm going to put a aluminum fuel tank in the front deck. I want to put a fuel gauge in the helm station along with switches for the nav lights and a bilge pump, so I will need to run wiring in pvc chases from front to back. I do have one question does the fuel line running back to the outboard need to run high or can it run below the flooring?

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:05 pm
by cape man
Either way on the fuel line. You'll need a bulb to get it to the engine. Boat is looking great!

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:13 pm
by Colemanfire
Thanks, Cape Man

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
by Jeff
Yes, I agree, your LM18 is really looking good now!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm
by TomW1
I agree with Cape Man use your PVC chase tube and run them through the frames. 1" is a good size for a 3/8" fuel hose. Then get a good fuel primer bulb or you may get a good system when you buy your motor. It is best to run them in the center of the frames. See the two on this page: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/fuel-ta ... :&pageSize:&

Tom

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:09 pm
by Aripeka Angler
I ran the chase tubes under my gunwales, electrical on one side and fuel on the other side.
I'll dig up a pic.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:01 pm
by Colemanfire
Couple more questions.

what are the pros and cons on aluminum verses plastic permanent fuel tanks. I am installing in the front hatch of the boat.

Can some one please attach the links to seaslug's, and Fishgtr's hatch building posts I can find them.

Thanks,
John

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:10 pm
by seaslug
I ran mine the same as Richards, under the gunwales with holes drilled through the rod holders. They're tucked up underneath out of the way and not visible, but easily accessible if needed.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:24 pm
by fishgitr
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62910

Here’s the finished product.

Your boat is looking great!!

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:34 pm
by Colemanfire
Thanks, Fishgitr. Those hatches look great !!!

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:16 pm
by fishgitr
Thanks man

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:51 pm
by TomW1
Colemanfire wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:01 pm
what are the pros and cons on aluminum verses plastic permanent fuel tanks. I am installing in the front hatch of the boat.

Thanks,
John

The main difference is that you can order an aluminum tank can be ordered in the shape you want and with the fittings where you want then, this also means more expense. A plastic tank comes in limited shapes and the fittings are set so you cannot be changed.

Tom

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 pm
by fishgitr
I used Boyd welding over in Ocala. About 125 for a 5 gallon I think. I went a different route so AA has that tank now.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 pm
by Colemanfire
Thanks for the info guys...

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:06 pm
by Colemanfire
Had a pretty productive weekend.
Got the deck cut out to fit the extended deck, and the floor and deck all fit.
got most of the cleats in the flooring, laid out the hatch floors and sides to be fit in once I get all the chase tubes in for wiring and foam the poured in and leveled.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:30 pm
by Jeff
Nice Colemanfire!!! This LM is looking great!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:36 pm
by Colemanfire
Here is the latest updated Pictures. Waiting on the tank and grab rail to be built, so i can reinforce floor and chase the wiring for helm and chart plotter. Also have poling platform built will send pictures of them tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:04 pm
by cape man
Sweet.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 pm
by Browndog
Looking really good.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:54 pm
by Bogieman
Nice!

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:56 pm
by Jeff
Looks really nice John!!! Can't wait to see the first LM18 completed!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:57 pm
by Reid
Nice work!!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 pm
by Colemanfire
Thanks, Guys

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:01 pm
by Colemanfire
Pulled the Trigger today!!!!! no turning back.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:57 pm
by Bogieman
Colemanfire wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:01 pm Pulled the Trigger today!!!!! no turning back.
Ohhh, that's niiiiice! :D

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 pm
by Jeff
That 30HP will make the LM18 fly!! Congrats John!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm
by TomW1
That is one nice motor. See it came with a factory prop. Once you get it out on the water and some break in hours on it let me know and I can help you dial in the right size prop if that is not the correct one. Make sure you have a tachometer in your planning.

I'm loving your LM18 build. Think it will be a great improvement over the FS18 which I felt a little uncomfortable on being 6'3" and over 275lbs. :lol:

Tom

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:12 pm
by Colemanfire
Tom,

I definitely thought of you today after I picked up the motor I’m sure I will need to get this thing proped right once I get it out on the water, the motor is used it is a 2015 the price and shape we just to good to pass

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm
by TomW1
Let me know when your ready and we will get some numbers from you.

Tom

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 pm
by Colemanfire
Here is the latest

Got the fuel line ran under gunnel.
installed battery in the front hatch, and ran cables to the back hatch to off set some weight.
starting to wire the switch panel,

Still waiting on the tank, and the grab rail will have a small helm for gauge, and chart plotter. it is close to being done too.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:10 pm
by Jeff
Really well done John!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 pm
by Colemanfire
Here's some more of todays progress.
Got deck, floor, and gunnels shaped to fit and ready to install.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:27 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Nice looking work sir. 8)

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:37 am
by Eric1
Nice!

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 pm
by Jeff
John, really nice progress!! Boat is really looking nice!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:05 pm
by Reid
Looks great John! Clean electrical work as well!

Reid

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:41 pm
by redfishjim
Just now getting into the LM18 idea. Great work so far! Look forward to seeing it finished!

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:37 pm
by Colemanfire
Got some good stuff this afternoon Gas tank, poling platform, and grab rail. Now I can finish the floor, and wiring.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 am
by Browndog
Very nice. That looks like a very comfortable set-up.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:13 am
by Jeff
Colemanfire, nice stuff!!! Remind me how big the gas tank is (gallons)!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:30 am
by Colemanfire
Hey Jeff,
Its a 10 gal tank

Thanks,
John

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:34 pm
by Jeff
Nice equipment John!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:14 pm
by Fuzz
Where will the green cow mount :doh:

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 pm
by Colemanfire
On the bow!

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 pm
by OrangeQuest
Fuzz wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:14 pm Where will the green cow mount :doh:
Colemanfire wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 pm On the bow!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you lived in Texas I could see it happening.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 am
by poleposition
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 pm
Fuzz wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:14 pm Where will the green cow mount :doh:
Colemanfire wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 pm On the bow!
That would be udderly impossible. :wink:

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 pm
by redfishjim
and thennnnnn... :D

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:11 pm
by Colemanfire
Up Date!!!!

Got the floor foamed and glued down, and the gas tank installed last week. I glassed the floor today. Also bought a trailer that I have been looking for some time. The only thing is its in South Carolina. I have a buddy that lives there and he picked it up this morning, So going to make a South Carolina redfish trip to do a little fishing, and bring the trailer back.

Next step to fair the floor and side gunnels to get ready to prime.

Here are the latest pictures.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:19 pm
by Jeff
Nice Colemanfire, good progress and glad you found the trailer!! Jeff

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:11 pm
by silvermallard
Your boat looks really good. I am also building the lm18, I just got it flipped and started glassing it last week. If you don't mind I am going to start picking you brain from here out. Where did you get the gas tank and how many gallons is it? Did you extend the front with another frame to accommodate it?
thanks,
Brian

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:50 pm
by Jeff
Brian, Call me on Tuesday as we spoke to John over the weekend and he gave us the approval to give you John's contact details so you guys could have a thorough telephone discussion!! Jeff

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:16 pm
by OrangeQuest
Really starting to come all together and looking very good! Hard to believe you got so many pictures without your crewman. :D

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:22 pm
by TomW1
Both your boats are looking great.

Tom

Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:59 am
by Colemanfire
Silvermallard,

Glad to hear some one else in the process of building the LM. The tank is a 10 gallon tank, and I had it made at the same time I made the grab rail helm.
I did extend the deck I think it's seven foot now if I remember right. I gave Jeff my number feel free to give me a call or private message me and I will give it to you.

John

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:42 pm
by Colemanfire
Alright I need some advice...

I'm looking to start the process of mounting the motor and have no idea where to start. is there any threads that show how to mount the jack plate and engine??

I do not have the jack plate yet I'm looking at the manual 5" for hanging a motor with the clamp on mounts. the motor has bolt holes on top and bottom of the mounting plate along with the over the transom brackets so the jack plate will have to be set back enough for the clamp on bracket to pass.

Need help at this point!!!!!!

Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:24 pm
by TomW1
Okay what jack plate and your Suzuki 30. Look at the Bob's 4" mini manual Jack plates that you can buy through the store here. Contact Jeff. It is ideal for the LM and FS boats and you will get a discount.

More to answer your question I am assuming that you built the transom for a 20" shaft motor. Or did you build it for a 15" shaft. That will determine where you mount the jack plate. The jack plate for a 20" motor shaft should be through bolted at the top of the transom so when the motor is mounted to it so the ventilation plate is equal the keel of the boat. This will allow you to raise the propeller up a couple of inches for better performance. It may or may not work and you may need to go to a 4 blade propeller.

The Suzuki comes with a prop but it is rarely right with Jacques light weight boats. Make sure you spend the 60 or 70 dollars for a tach so we can dial in a proper prop.

Hope this makes sense. Please feel free to ask questions. Take care I have loved watching your build. :D

Tom

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 am
by Colemanfire
Hey Tom,

I have been in contact with Jeff about a Bob's jack plate. I was just measuring the motor clamp mounts, and was trying to get some insight before I ordered it. I think I have seen some where on here that some one mounted a jack plate system but could not go down all the way because of the clamps hitting the transom.

The motor is a 30 HP Suzuki 4 stroke tiller with trim and tilt it's a 20" shaft. it has the clamp on mounts and also has the bolt on plate with 4 holes.

I guess my first question is I have the motor on a stand using the clamps, do I trim the motor all the way down and take a measurement from the clamp the ventilation plate, and then measure from the keel up to that measurement and that will be where the motor will sit on the jack plate? and will that be with the jack plate all the way down? so that I have adjustment up from the bottom of the keel only or do I need to split the adjustment height?????????

I do plan on putting a 4 blade prop on it. I get guess the next thing I need to get is the tach.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:12 pm
by TomW1
Hi Colemanfire. First get rid of the clamps and use the 4 hole mounting plate. Then mount the Bob's per it's instructions I believe it will say at the top of the transom. Then mount the motor using the mounting plate to the Bob's. This should put the ventilation plate within an inch of the keel. You never want to lower the ventilation below the keel on a planing boat. Mounting like this will allow you the max lift height of the Bob's.

Did your Suzuki come with a prop. If so use it to break in your motor and then we can calculate what 4 blade you will need.

Tom

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 am
by Capt UB
Questions for you, are you building the standard version, tunnel or low sheer version?

Is the round chine cuts something you can add/do?
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG (88.44 KiB) Viewed 593 times

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 pm
by Reid
Capt UB,

John is building the first LM18 Standard Sheer, Round Chine with no tunnel option. John got the CNC kit. We are able to cut slits in the hull panels in order to achieve the rounded chine. Frames A and B are also rounded over in order to allow the hull panels to curve appropriately.

Reid

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:42 pm
by Capt UB
Reid wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 pm Capt UB,

John is building the first LM18 Standard Sheer, Round Chine with no tunnel option. John got the CNC kit. We are able to cut slits in the hull panels in order to achieve the rounded chine. Frames A and B are also rounded over in order to allow the hull panels to curve appropriately.

Reid
Thanks Reid. I do like the round and the flat (?) chine. Round does look like a lot of work!

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm
by Wesleynowlen
I'm so jealous right now. I've had my LM18 plans for a year now. Haven't yet made the initial material purchase due to other things popping up. Anyways, I can't wait to see one finished. You're doing a great job!!

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:37 pm
by Capt UB
fishgitr wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:58 am I knock down all the roughness sticking up. Don't do too much. Then I use a roller and roll on fairing to fill all the weave. Usually three times.
Great Idea on rolling out the fairing mix.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:16 pm
by Colemanfire
Capt UB,

Sorry I didn't get back with you, I have not checked the forum in a while. Reid is correct on the build I did order the rounded chine version. this is my first time build and I thought the round chine was going to be a lot harder than it was. actually fairly easy just a little longer. If you wanted to build the rounded chine version build it. I think you will always wish you had. This forum and the guys at Builder Central are so very helpful, I would even venture to say if you really need major help, it would be nothing for a member to make a trip to help you out. I've always said Jeff and Reid will not let a build fail.

If you have any questions just private message me and I will give you my number

Sorry once again for taking so long to respond

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:06 pm
by Capt UB
Hello John.

The round chine is a nice look.... A bit scary looking to build!

The LM18 I'm getting is the low sheer, non round chine. I'm buying it from someone who bought and is not able to build it. Things happen in ones life.... Anyway, he cut a good deal. Will most likely start it after the summer is over. I'm just finishing a FS14. The FS14 is a nice looking boat, but found I want to build the Classic 17. Then the LM18 popped up! The FS14 for the river and the LM18 for the Lagoon.

I don't have a trailer for the LM18, but it does comes with a 30 hp.

I'm going to pick your brain about your trailer later.

Thanks and keep posting those photos.
Bob.

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:09 am
by TomW1
Capt UB great choice on the LM18. Finish it well and you will have most of your cost for your C17. :D Or keep for areas the C17 can't go. :D d

Regards,

Tom

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 pm
by Colemanfire
Here are some updates.

Got the jack plate mounted.
and the first coat on the floor.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:01 pm
by Jeff
Nice Colemanfire!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:13 pm
by TomW1
Wow Colemanfire that looks nice.

Tom

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 pm
by OrangeQuest
It does look good!

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:27 am
by silvermallard
That looks really good! Man you will be on the water in no time!

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am
by Reid
Looks awesome, John!!!

-Reid

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 pm
by Capt UB
John

How are you draining the cockpit/sole?

Looking forward to your splash day!

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 pm
by Colemanfire
I ran a chase from the front hatch under the sole and put a tee in the cock pit drains in the bilge and get pumped out with the pump.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 am
by Capt UB
Colemanfire

Have you put the boat on your trailer yet? I'm lost on what size I should be looking for.... Never got a boat without a trailer!! There are more and more showing up on Craigslist near me, 16-20 ft. So if you measure from the coupling to back of trailer frame not the bunks, this would tell me (LM18) the size I need?

Thanks, Bob.

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:05 am
by Colemanfire
Hey Bob,

I bought a used galvanized whip Ray trailer I had it modified to add a foot to it but I have not put the boat on it yet I am rhino lining it redoing the bunks should have it done by this weekend been gone for three weeks Outwest I can take measurements on it but I have not set the wench post yet I’m going to work on it today and take some measurements finish the bunks and I will get back with you on measurements that I take

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:30 pm
by Capt UB
Thanks.
Looks like a 21 to 22 ft trailer.

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:06 pm
by Colemanfire
Update for my build.

After being gone for 3 weeks out west I'm back at it. for some reason I cant get my pictures from my phone to email to me. So I will get them on here a little later. the decks are all glued and I have filled all low, and gaps with ez-fill. I added a little more of a rub/spray rail to the boat. Today im finishing the faring of that rail, and at this time waiting on some epoxy with aerosil I have about an hour and I think I will be able to do a quick shape up sand and I'm goin to start to glass the deck up. I'm pretty excited how this boat is looking, not to much longer to go!!!!

Trailer is also finished other than new tires, just have no idea how I'm going to get the boat on it... :doh: :doh:

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:49 pm
by Colemanfire
Here's the Progress..

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Looking amazing. So you are doing a grab rail with a seat in front? I guess you had that custom built. I'm about to go through your thread looking for details. I guess tiller steer with extension? Can't wait to see it finished... Good job thus far

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:37 am
by Colemanfire
Yes I did have the grab rail made the seat flips up any 35 yet he goes underneath motor is a 30 horse four stroke with an extended tiller thanks for the compliment hopefully it will be done soon and on the water

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:22 am
by Jeff
Really nice progress ColemanFire!!! The LM18 is going to be a great skinny water fishing boat!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:21 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Colemanfire wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:06 pm I added a little more of a rub/spray rail to the boat. Today im finishing the faring of that rail
So what did the final dimensions for your rail and did you end up with a reason for this or is it pretty an esthetic issue? In the plans JM recommended a laminated rubrail but I don't think he really mentioned a size... You just put on what you think looks good. I was noticing your rail was painted then it wasn't anymore and found that you added. Thanks

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm
by Colemanfire
I always planed on making the rail a little wider and out a little more than what the plans call for mainly for esthetics but may add a little of a spray rail they are about 2 1/2" wide and come off the boat about 3"

I installed the rail by the plans when I was building the boat with the laminated process when I glued the decks down I added two 1/2" cedar rails to do the extension.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 pm
by Colemanfire
Updated Photos of the boat after I filled the glass on the deck and after the second coat of primer.

Photos of trailer after I finished bedliner and new carpet and new bunks.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:33 pm
by Colemanfire
IT'S BLUE!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O

Got the deck and hull painted, hopefully non skid tomorrow.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:52 pm
by OrangeQuest
Wow! That is a nice paint job!!

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:58 pm
by ctbeutel
That looks awesome. Did you roll it or spray? It really looks good.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:32 pm
by Colemanfire
I Rolled it

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:38 pm
by cape man
Beautiful job!

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 am
by Capt UB
Colemanfire wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:32 pm I Rolled it

You NAILED it too!

Looks great.

Is she a low sheer?

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:38 am
by Colemanfire
No not the low sheer version.
Original build

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:24 am
by Jeff
Nice paint job ColemanFire, really well done!! Also, nice work on the trailer as well!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:15 pm
by Colemanfire
Got the deck nonskid all taped off earlier in the day, Tonight I painted deck and sprinkled nonskid will paint that tomorrow.

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:01 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Can't wait to see that tape pulled off. Suspense is killing me

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:00 am
by OrangeQuest
It is a great looking tape job.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 am
by Jeff
ColemanFire, that is going to look great!!! Nice tape!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:20 pm
by Colemanfire
Real productive day today!!!

This morning got the last coat of paint over the nonskid, and let dry for about an hour then peeled the tape off.

It looks really good and real sharp curves and edges.

After it dried a little more I installed the rub rail, and the polling platform.
And Here It Is..... :D :D :D :D :D

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:30 pm
by OrangeQuest
When I seen all the blue I was thinking to much blue but now that you have all the black it really brings it all together. Beautiful boat! Hope that white line has some place to go that is dangling off the poling platform.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:41 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Awesome job!

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:45 pm
by blueflood
Hey Colemanfire..really classic paint scheme ! It really works the way you have combined the blue and black :D 8) Very sharp.

Marc

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:09 am
by thb
I have the same TH Marine jackplate and looking at how yours is installed has got me wondering.

Which side goes to the transom and what side goes to the motor. I was thinking the side with 2 holes at each location would be the transom side. Side with Slot at the bottom would be on the motor side. I am not sure it matters but I have found nothing in the paperwork which tells me which is which. Any inputs???

Your boat is looking real good. What motor are you using?

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:27 am
by Colemanfire
Hey Tom,

I'm pretty sure is on the right way (I Hope 8O 8O ) we may have different models the plate on the back has two different bolt patterns for motors I am bolting it on the plate not using the clamp on the top of the motor. I have a 30 hp tiller Suzuki four stoke. from every thing I can tell is installed correctly the nut that you adjust is on the top to where you can make your adjustments on the water if you really need to, if I turned it around that would be on the bottom. I cant find my installation instructions either.

John

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:45 am
by cape man
Awesome looking boat! Hurry and I think you will be the first to splash a Laguna Madre 18!

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:23 pm
by thb
Hi John,

We do have different ones. Mine is the hydraulic variety. You could turn it around 180 degrees in the horizontal axis and not the vertical axis and your adjustment would still be on the top. Mine has 2 different sets of holes on one side and on the other side has 3 holes at the top and a vertical slot at the bottom. Maybe someone knows which way is correct or maybe it does not matter.

You non-skid job looks great. Super professional looking.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:58 pm
by TomW1
The correct way to mount a jack plate is with the 3 holes and slot on the motor side. This give you additional adjustment of the motor up and down.

Tom

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:13 pm
by Reid
John,

The paint job and the rub rail look great!!! Really nice job! Did the rub rail go on easily?

Reid

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:48 pm
by Colemanfire
Yea, pretty easy took about an hour. Thanks for every thing you guys have done to help me to this point..

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:45 pm
by thb
Which rub rail did you use?

Regards
Tom

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:15 pm
by Jeff
Nice paint and the rub rail looks great!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:57 pm
by Colemanfire
Tom,

The rub rail is by Mate USA and was pretty easy to install Reid has the kit.

Thanks Jeff, I will bring it up for you guys to check out after I get the motor on and I'm to sea deck the floor and under the gunnels

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:02 am
by Jeff
Excellent ColemanFire!! Yes, I would really like to get some good "completed" photos of the first LM18 finished!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:53 pm
by Reid
thb wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:45 pm Which rub rail did you use?

Regards
Tom
Tom,

John used the Tessilmare Radial 30 Rub Rail https://boatbuildercentral.com/proddeta ... ail_Radial. It is very simple to install. You don't need a heat gun or excessive man power to install. Bends around corners easily and there are no visible screws.

Reid

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:20 pm
by Capt UB
I got the black Tessilmare Radial 30 Rub Rail for the FS14, but instead I'm going to use it on the LM18. It's really nice stuff.

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:25 pm
by thb
Reid,

Thanks for the clarification on the rubrail make. I used a tessilmare 30 also on my FS14 which I like very much and yes it is easy. I will buy again for my FS17. Need to get rid of the white semi rigid taco rubrail as I have no use of it.

Colemanfire,

Love to hear how the first LM18 runs. When is the launch?

Regards
Tom

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:14 pm
by Colemanfire
Got the Boat on the trailer today

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:24 pm
by Fuzz
Dang that looks nice :D

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:47 pm
by thb
Colemanfire,

When is the launch?

Regards
Tom

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:06 pm
by Jeff
Nice ColemanFire, very nice build and the first completed LM18!!! Congrats and can’t wait for the splash!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:21 pm
by Colemanfire
FWC was out yesterday to start the hull Id process.

I have to do some adjusting of the bunks the skegs sit on top of the bunks so I have to move them over after that I will mount the motor and Micro pole and hopefully splash next weekend

after I splash then the prop fun will begin, and will also decide if I need tabs.

Thanks for all the complements, and all the help along the way.
John

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 pm
by OrangeQuest
Very exciting times!! Beautiful boat! Good look on splash day!
:D

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 pm
by seaslug
Beautiful boat, and a bad ass flats fishing machine. With my FS18 and a 20hp Merc with stock aluminum prop I was hitting the rev limiter, so with the help of Tom's advice I bought a Solas stainless 3 blade 2 pitches higher and it solved the problem and I picked up 2 mph. I think it was just over a 100 bucks. I don't think you'll need trim tabs, Jacques boats float dead level, and with the long length and being very light it should jump on plane barely lifting the bow. I'd love to see the boat up close some day, I'm in Flagler, and I'm really curious about the numbers when you launch. I hope you love the boat as much as I love fishing my FS18, I'm pretty certain you'll be blown away. Nice work. Mike

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:05 pm
by ctbeutel
It has been fun watching your build. She turned out great. Can't wait to see the splash.

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:35 am
by silvermallard
That boat is nothing but pure awesomeness! Did you figure out total weight?

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:58 am
by Capt UB
Colemanfire

And how it all started........

LM 18 First Time Build
Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 pm

"Well Here We Go!!

My name is John, and I wanted to introduce my self to the forum."
file~2.jpg
file~2.jpg (183.28 KiB) Viewed 623 times
She looks so nice!

So what is next, NC16, it would be a bad ass canoe.....

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 pm
by TomW1
Boat looks beautiful setting on your trailer look forward to the launch. If you need some help with the prop let me know and I'll be glad to help. I am sitting on the Mississippi River in Iowa at flood stage so can't launch a boat, all the ramps are under water :lol: Good luck on the launch and have fun.

Tom

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:23 pm
by Colemanfire
Silvermallard

I have not weighed the boat yet, I was waiting on the motor to get put on so that I could get a total weight to TomW1 to help with my prop.

Fixing the bunk issue this weekend, and in the process of getting SeaDek installed in the cockpit as we speak.

Will provide pictures when I get it back tomorrow.

John

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:14 pm
by Colemanfire
I got the sea deck done today

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:57 pm
by OrangeQuest
Wow! They really did a nice job on the SeaDek. That is something else.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:19 pm
by furiousgeorge
That's gorgeous! Did you have to do your own template or did you take it to them? I'm next...(wishful thinking) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:11 pm
by TomW1
That Seadeck looks great John. Looking forward to working with you on the prop. Know what the FS18's are using in general, so it will be interesting to see what the LM will deviate from them.

Tom

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:42 pm
by Fuzz
That is one fine looking boat :!: You have done a great job on it.
Not too sure about the Jack Russell for a boat dog though. The wife’s will get seasick sometimes :help: And he will not pee on the boat so after a few hours he will really get to whining :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:56 pm
by TGaz
Your boat looks really sharp. Can’t wait to see it on the water.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:43 pm
by fishgitr
Did they scan the boat or did you do a template?

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:32 pm
by Colemanfire
They scanned the boat and sent me a proof to approve before install

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:45 pm
by fishgitr
Did you take it to sea deck directly?

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:02 pm
by Dutch1
Colemanfire,
I just read this entire thread. Great job man. She looks great! I, am I'm sure others, can't wait for pics when you splash her.

Steve

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:36 pm
by Colemanfire
She has been SPLASHED!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Boat performed great with a standard black aluminum prop. With two guys on board the boat got up on plane very smooth and flat and pretty quick for the prop, I think with a four blade it will be amazing performance. the speed was more than enough I am guessing around 25-28 mph (I forgot my GPS :? took mostly video of the boat running but cant get them to down load on here :doh: :doh:

Very Excited with the performance!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:37 pm
by Colemanfire
The boat ran great got up on the plane very nicely even with a standard prop can we post videos here??

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:24 pm
by Jeff
Congrats ColemanFire, the very first LM18 to splash!!!! Great work and look forward to the video!! Yes, post it!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:43 pm
by OrangeQuest
Congratulations on a successful splash! Boat looks very happy on the water!

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:00 pm
by narfi
Very nice!
I think most people post videos to youtube and then post the links here.

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:31 pm
by fishgitr
You have to create a YouTube video and post the link

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 am
by icelikkilinc
Looks great, very well done

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 am
by ctbeutel
She turned out awesome. Enjoy your time on the water after all those hours of build time.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 am
by piperdown
Looks great and congratulations on a successful splash!

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 am
by jacquesmm
Bravo, great looking boat and a fantastic finish.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:07 am
by Jwhitakeriii
Colemanfire wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:36 pm She has been SPLASHED!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Boat performed great with a standard black aluminum prop. With two guys on board the boat got up on plane very smooth and flat and pretty quick for the prop, I think with a four blade it will be amazing performance. the speed was more than enough I am guessing around 25-28 mph (I forgot my GPS :? took mostly video of the boat running but cant get them to down load on here :doh: :doh:

Very Excited with the performance!!!!!!
looks very good great job indeed. On the one picture it looks like the jack plate may be very close to the water or even touching it and then the picture on the trailer the jack plate looks to be 5-6" from the bottom of the boat. Did you feel like it was drafting in 3.5" like the study plans suggest or was it closer to the 5" it says when heavily loaded. I raised the sole 1 inch on my LM18 to be sure the cockpit drains but that may not be enough? Did you feel like your cockpit drained? Sorry for all the questions Id love to talk to you about some of these details. Thanks that is a very sweet boat. (looks like you had an audience at the boat ramp... at least one person on a bike)

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:19 am
by Eric1
Outstanding!

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:05 pm
by jacquesmm
Jwhitakeriii wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:07 am
Did you feel like it was drafting in 3.5" like the study plans suggest or was it closer to the 5" it says when heavily loaded. I raised the sole 1 inch on my LM18 to be sure the cockpit drains but that may not be enough? Did you feel like your cockpit drained? Sorry for all the questions Id love to talk to you about some of these details.
Good questions and that is why, as the designer, I give the displacement at a certain draft and the PPI. The PPI is how much weight it takes to get the waterline up 1" (Pounds Per inch of Immersion). Here, the PPI is 320 lbs. I don't show it in the table but it comes up further down in the text.
At 765 lbs, the boat floats in 3". If you add 320 lbs = 1,085 lbs, hull draft becomes 4".
I have seen production boats advertised with 3" draft but when I did some quick math, it did not add up.
You are in charge of how much you will draw.
As the designer, I must choose how you are going to use the boat: what size engine, number of persons, gear etc. In this case, I decided to pick a 20 HP with two moderate size fishermen and light gear. Or one big guy with a trolling motor, batteries and baitwell.
At 3" draft and normal trim, the sole is still 1/2" above the scuppers.
Now, I could raise the sole and have it above the water with 4 big guys and a 50 HP but the cockpit would be shallow and even dangerous. The boat would be less stable. It is not reasonable.

I must choose a compromise. Here, the scuppers are above the water with a moderate weight. They are always above the water at the dock, boat empty: she will not sink in the rain.
With a heavy load, I prefer to have scuppers that close.
In all cases, with buoyancy foam, she will be unsinkable, even with water entering the scuppers if they are left open by mistake.

Many years ago, in Haiti, I used a Boston Whaler 25 that at rest, always had a couple inches of water above the sole. I did not bother emptying the boat at the dock: put her on plane with scuppers open and she was empty in a few minutes.
This will not happen with the LM18: no water will ever enter the empty boat or even a lightly loaded boat.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:10 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
jacquesmm wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:05 pm
Jwhitakeriii wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:07 am
Did you feel like it was drafting in 3.5" like the study plans suggest or was it closer to the 5" it says when heavily loaded. I raised the sole 1 inch on my LM18 to be sure the cockpit drains but that may not be enough? Did you feel like your cockpit drained? Sorry for all the questions Id love to talk to you about some of these details.
Good questions and that is why, as the designer, I give the displacement at a certain draft and the PPI. The PPI is how much weight it takes to get the waterline up 1" (Pounds Per inch of Immersion). Here, the PPI is 320 lbs. I don't show it in the table but it comes up further down in the text.
At 765 lbs, the boat floats in 3". If you add 320 lbs = 1,085 lbs, hull draft becomes 4".
I have seen production boats advertised with 3" draft but when I did some quick math, it did not add up.
You are in charge of how much you will draw.
As the designer, I must choose how you are going to use the boat: what size engine, number of persons, gear etc. In this case, I decided to pick a 20 HP with two moderate size fishermen and light gear. Or one big guy with a trolling motor, batteries and baitwell.
At 3" draft and normal trim, the sole is still 1/2" above the scuppers.
Now, I could raise the sole and have it above the water with 4 big guys and a 50 HP but the cockpit would be shallow and even dangerous. The boat would be less stable. It is not reasonable.

I must choose a compromise. Here, the scuppers are above the water with a moderate weight. They are always above the water at the dock, boat empty: she will not sink in the rain.
With a heavy load, I prefer to have scuppers that close.
In all cases, with buoyancy foam, she will be unsinkable, even with water entering the scuppers if they are left open by mistake.

Many years ago, in Haiti, I used a Boston Whaler 25 that at rest, always had a couple inches of water above the sole. I did not bother emptying the bota at the dock: put her on plane with scuppers open and she was empty in a few minutes.
This will not happen with the LM18: no water will ever enter the empty boat or even a lightly loaded boat.
Thanks for that very helpful information. That makes alot more sense now. Do you think raising the sole an inch puts the LM 18 in the dangerous category?

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:16 pm
by TomW1
Colemanfire the boat looks great, nice specs for the first time out.

Tom

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:35 pm
by Reid
Looks Awesome John!!! Very excited to see the FIRST LM18 on the water!!! If you can, send me the video to my email (reid@e-boat.net)

Reid

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:05 pm
by Colemanfire
Hey Guys,

First off thanks for all the complements on the boat I Really appreciate it.

So yesterday's splash was a real quick throw it in the water see how the weight distribution is with the motor, and run it for about 15 minutes and get it back on the trailer before the man came by because I had no hull numbers and no coast guard equip. We ran it in a lake close to the house so I did not get any draft numbers yet, the hull numbers came in today so I will head to the DMV to get my FL # and the plan is to really run it and get all the specs this weekend.

So give me till after the weekend and I will have all the draft numbers for you.

Going to weigh the boat tomorrow also so I will get you that number also.

Reid, I will get better video this weekend and send them to you also...

John

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:13 am
by cape_fisherman
Looks like she's drafting 3-4" to me judging by the bottom of the jack plate to the water...

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:35 pm
by TomW1
John sent you a PM.

Tom

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 pm
by Colemanfire
Here are some more pictures of the boat at float in the shallow water and how it sits in the water.

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:04 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Awesome work on your boat!
Congratulations on the splash!!!

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:18 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Looks great!

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:33 am
by Jeff
That is a true beauty!! The first LM18 completed!! Well done ColemanFire!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 am
by Eric1
That's one pretty flats boat!

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:15 pm
by TomW1
no message

Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:34 pm
by OrangeQuest
Boat is looking good on the water! So how skinny was the water? I can see bottom!

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:38 pm
by Capt UB
I'm 265 Lbs. Are you anywhere near this? I ask because the photo of you standing on the side.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am
by Colemanfire
No I'm 175
But the day before I had me and my brother (210LB) on the boat and really not to much to worry on the boat leaning with him on the. boat leans more with you on a back corner, but if your in the back on my boat you are more than likely poling on the platform in the center or casting from up there. really not that much room on the deck because I put platform in on the deck not off the back

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:40 am
by Colemanfire
OrangeQuest,

I would say the pictures of the boat closer and more with the bow pointed in were in about 6"-8" of water the ones with the boat more to the side and further out were about 1' of water

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:43 am
by Freaknreakn
AMAZING BUILD!!!!! What an inspiration.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 am
by Jeff
This is the first LM18 CNC Kit and yes, it was a great build!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 pm
by Capt UB
Reid wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:25 pm John,

You don't necessarily need to work your way from top to bottom. You need to make sure that you do the following:
  • Make sure that the bottom piece does not get pulled up too far to where you are left with a big gap at the end.
I would recommend getting the top and bottom set first and then working in the middle. Start very loose with your zip ties and slowly tighten down as you need. The bow is going to take some time to get the curve right. Don't forget you use some small PVC pieces or pencil pieces (like we talked about in the shop) to help with the curve. Don't be afraid to ad or remove zip ties as needed.

Reid

Reid what dia. PVC tube should I have been using? I used 1/2".

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:38 pm
by Reid
Capt UB wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Reid

Capt UB,

You simply need to use the right size PVC pipe for the application. It is pretty evident once you start stitching if your PVC is too large or too small.

Reid

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:41 pm
by Capt UB
Reid wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:38 pm
Capt UB wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Reid

Capt UB,

You simply need to use the right size PVC pipe for the application. It is pretty evident once you start stitching if your PVC is too large or too small.

Reid

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:55 pm
by Cbuf
Did you ever get a number for your top speed with the 30 Hp? If you built it again what would you change? I like the passenger chair. However, I’m thinking about putting a bait well under it.

Thanks

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:03 pm
by Colemanfire
Sorry i have not been on the Site in a while.

The boat runs 28MPH loaded with two, i tried putting a different SS prop on but i got a lot of prop chatter at idle speed pretty loud so i went back to the aluminium prop. the seat is great in the middle of the boat. i don't think i would change anything so far.

I'm going to try to may the builders meet , and bring the boat so hopefully we will see a couple there.

John

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 pm
by spencerhicks
Awesome work!
How's the ride? Pretty dry or do you get spray coming over the gunwale?

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:56 am
by VT_Jeff
Just read through this build, amazing work!

Jeff

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:30 pm
by cape man
I just bought an unfinished hull of a LM18LS from a forum member and am going to hepl my son and a friend of his finish it. I just sent them a link to this thread for them to get some GREAT ideas. Awesome boat. I am very curious about the "prop chatter" with a stainless. Was the diameter and pitch the same as the aluminum? Do you have a tach, and if so what kind of rpm's are you seeing at wide open throttle? I ask all this, as at some point in the future there's another outboard to be bought. I would think a 30 hp on that hull should do better than 28 mph (not that that aint plenty fast!).

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:32 pm
by Aedodd21
Does anyone know what the rubber finger things that are on this boat are called? The pictures in this thread don't show them but the pictures of the boat on the BBC website show them and I am wanting to do something similar.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:50 pm
by Jeff
AEDodd21, call me at the shop tomorrow to remind me and I will reach out to John, owner of the LM18, and get you a good ID and location where you can buy. Shop number is 772.742.8535. Jeff

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 am
by Jwhitakeriii
not sure if this is what he used but similar product

https://www.carbonmarine.com/collection ... management

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:10 am
by Capt UB
Aedodd21 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:32 pm Does anyone know what the rubber finger things that are on this boat are called? The pictures in this thread don't show them but the pictures of the boat on the BBC website show them and I am wanting to do something similar.

Joe is a great guy, call the shop if you need some help. I have two tiller ext. and some other toys his company made.
https://www.carbonmarine.com/pages/our-story

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:56 am
by Crystal Craft
Nice boat! What did you use for your rub rail?? It looks great! Thank you!
Crystal Craft
Thompsonville MI
17 degrees blowing drifting snow lakes mostly frozen