LM 18 First Time Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LM 18 First Time Build

Post by Reid »

Poleposition,

Great question! Just like the FS18 round chine option, frames A and B are rounded to accept a round chine. During the CNC cutting process we also use our 1/4" router bit to cut the "chine slits". When you receive the CNC kit for the round chine, you will notice that the slits are not cut all the way through. We do this so the wood is better protected during shipping. You must first glue the hull panels together at the puzzle joints and then come back and cut the slits all the way through.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Colemanfire,

Looks great so far!!! You definitely are not wasting any time! Just be patient while stitching the bow together. As you fine tune the zip ties you will need to tighten some and cut others and re zip tie. It is a process. Lastly, don't be overly critical on gaps, you can fill those with woodflour and epoxy.
Keep up the good work!
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Colemanfire
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Colemanfire »

Hey Reid,

Yea the zip tie got pretty frustrating, but I was pretty tired and decided to call it a day last night I plan to get back after it after work. I will take my time tonight, there is defiantly correct way to install them uniformly after a whole pack of zip ties I figured that out. quick question for you, I should be going from the top (bottom of hull) down Right?

John

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

John,

You don't necessarily need to work your way from top to bottom. You need to make sure that you do the following:
  • Make sure that the bottom piece does not get pulled up too far to where you are left with a big gap at the end.
  • Make sure the gaps are even throughout each strip.
  • Make sure you have enough gap for the EZ Fillet.
I would recommend getting the top and bottom set first and then working in the middle. Start very loose with your zip ties and slowly tighten down as you need. The bow is going to take some time to get the curve right. Don't forget you use some small PVC pieces or pencil pieces (like we talked about in the shop) to help with the curve. Don't be afraid to ad or remove zip ties as needed.

Reid
- Steven Wright

Colemanfire
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Colemanfire »

Ok here's how tonight went I think it went well, but if I could get some input on the end of the bow, not quit sure if I just fill and shape it or if this is wrong.

any in put on tricks to this would be great.

John
Attachments
IMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1134.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1131.JPG

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Hi John,
I'm building a similar boat, the FS18.
Looks to me like the bow mold is protruding past the kerfed bow panels.
Your stitching job looks perfect to me but I would get the tips of the bow panels closer together.
I'm pretty sure you can't slide the hull forward on the frames at this point?
I'd probably just reach in with a multi-tool and gouge out some relief on the bow mold to bring the tips of the kerfed panels closer together.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

First I want to to say you're doing a great job so far, and very quickly. That's a beautiful looking hull, and wish I was able to build one for myself. In the profile pic the bow shape looks great, but the 4th strip from the bottom is cut at an odd/ wrong angle, did the kit come that way? If so, the CNC kit needs to be changed. I would say to use zip ties port to starboard to pull those pieces tighter together, first trimming the bow mold a little as Richard said, but doing that might put a weird dip in that spot because of the odd cut on the end of that strip. Try it a see what happens, otherwise, just fill it in and glass the crap out of the bow area. I think I put about 6 or 8 layers on the bow when I did mine for added protection if I ever rammed into a dock or something. Look great overall though, and really look forward to following the build. Mike

Colemanfire
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Colemanfire »

Thanks Seaslug, It has gone together quite well, and yes this is the way the kit came.I have done no modifications. That seam you are talking about is where the two separate panels meet at the bow. Either way there will be a little funky area that I will have to fill and shape up witch is no big deal I don't think. my plan of attack tonight is to see if I can get the bow mold out, and cut it back where it meets frame A so that I can still keep the shape of the bow to mold to. Fun Stuff!!

topwater

Post by topwater »

If you get your bow mold out you might want drill some holes along the forward edge so you can pass zipties thru
and snug the ends of your bow strips down . They don't have to meet along the front edge " i had 3/8" gap along my bow [img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 2.JPG/[img]
[img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 0.JPG/[img]
[img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 4.JPG/[img]
Just check out my build gallery Topwater NV 23 you can see the pic's there , I can't post pic's anymore since
changing to a Mac .
Last edited by topwater on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

topwater wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am If you get your bow mold out you might want drill some holes along the forward edge so you can pass zipties thru
and snug the ends of your bow strips down . They don't have to meet along the front edge " i had 3/8" gap along my bow
TW, you had the closing /img a bit off... the / has to go inside the [
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.