System 3's The Epoxy Book

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

System 3's The Epoxy Book

Post by Capt UB »

Just found this Great information about epoxy, fillers and paint.

It's a downloaded book "The Epoxy Book" on using System 3 epoxy products. Not a sale BS, real information and help...

Check this out, any fairing product or homemade paste would work here....

A slick way to fair a large area and avoid a lot of tedious sanding is to use a serrated trowel like the metal one floor tilers use to spread mastic. Apply the fairing putty using this tool leaving a series of parallel ridges that stand proud of the surface. Allow the putty to cure, and then sand the area with a long board. Notice that all you are sanding is the tops of the ridges, about one fourth of the total surface area being faired. Sanding dust falls into the valleys. Once the ridge tops are fair, the area is cleaned of sanding dust and the valleys are filled with fairing compound using a broad knife with a straight edge. Only a light sanding is then required for final fairing following cure.

www.systemthree.com/blogs/epoxy-files/t ... epoxy-book

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: System 3's The Epoxy Book

Post by joe2700 »

I faired using the notched system. Worked well. Two things I would suggest are using a metal notched trowel as the plastic one I used wore down as I went so the size of the notches wasn't consistent, and having the time to do almost all of the sanding within a day or so, as it gets much harder after that.

The book you mention is a great resource, with funny cartoons if I remember correctly.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: System 3's The Epoxy Book

Post by Capt UB »

joe2700 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:13 pm I faired using the notched system. Worked well. Two things I would suggest are using a metal notched trowel as the plastic one I used wore down as I went so the size of the notches wasn't consistent, and having the time to do almost all of the sanding within a day or so, as it gets much harder after that.

The book you mention is a great resource, with funny cartoons if I remember correctly.

Thanks, Joe2700.

I plan on using metal one. Yes on the cartoons, I have not read it all yet.