What side to glass?

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: What side to glass?

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 am The hardtop I am building is 5x8 out of 3/4 inch nidacore. With one layer of 1708 on one side it would bow a ton just from its own weight. Put a layer on the other side and it is a whole different story.
Wait... are you talking the deck or the hardtop?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Are you really considering using 1708 on the hardtop? That seems like massive overkill, and will add a lot of weight up high. As long as you don't plan to walk on the hardtop, I'd use a lighter weight glass, a layer on both sides.

Did Peter-C say what he used on his hardtop?
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jasen I was talking about cored fibreglass in general. Decks, hardtop or what ever the principle would be the same.

PeeWee I already glassed my hardtop up. I used what I had knowing it will be a little heavier than it really needed to be. I am hoping to have a weight by tomorrow. I was going to weigh it today but life got in the way.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Fuzz my hardtop is 5/8 core with 1 layer each side of 12 oz bi axe and i can crawl around on it and i weigh 225 lb.
You should be able to take anti aircraft rounds with yours :wink:
Novi 23 finally launched !

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzz you said you have already glassed your hardtop. Dron't forget to plan for your mounting points for your white all around light, your GPS , your VHS antenna, and a radar if you want to get fancy :lol: These should probably be aluminum or built up fiberglass depending on there use.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978