Page 1 of 1

XF 20 Build

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:33 am
by CatfishHunter
So I purchased the unfinished hull from rtboating here on the forum. I saw the ad locally and jumped on it. Roy dropped off the boat yesterday and it's sitting in her new home for a few months. I just got my guide license this summer and plan on turning this into a guide boat for here in Homosassa. I'll have lot's of questions and any help will be greatly appreciated.

my main questions are going to be about the layout of the boat once i get to that point. I'm familiar with the glassing process as this wont be my first time doing fiberglass but will be the first time using epoxy...

Cpt. Sean Roush

Re: XF 20 Build

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:38 am
by CatfishHunter
My first concern is the outside of the hull. It is pretty much finished and coated with steelflex on the bottom(previous owners work). i've noticed lot's of air bubbles on the sides. how much of a concern is this?

I plan on sanding down the bad ones and re glassing over them with a combination of drilling a small hole and trying to inject the smaller ones... Or should i bite the bullet now and sand down the sides completely and restart???

Anyways off to start mixing epoxy and starting to fillet these stringers in...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:39 am
by Eric1
I think you'll love working with epoxy. Good luck with the build! :D
If it were me and from the large amount of air in the cloth, I would take it down. The real concern to me is if the painted glass on the bottom looked that way before paint. Hopefully others will chime in.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 am
by CatfishHunter
that port side there is the really bad part the transom and and starboard side arnt to bad... I'm guess the 1708 didn't get enough resin in it...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:09 am
by peter-curacao
Eric1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:39 am . The real concern to me is if the painted glass on the bottom looked that way before paint.
It does look like that under the paint, look at the waterline spots don't end in a straight line like in the picture
You're sure it's air/dry spots not just sanded spots? it's hard to tell from the picture

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:19 am
by CatfishHunter
My camera tends to embellish things a bit alot of it is sanding but alot of air too...previous owner states " The bottom was fine the only delams I had was those couple of spots on side and on that top line"

I'm going to take his word for it for now and only sand out the really bad spots. if i do redo it it will be after i finish the inside of the boat.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:55 pm
by Eric1
Just took a closer look at your pictures. I don't believe the previous builder used marine plywood. You've said you wanted this boat for charter. That being the case I'm pointing this out to you. If it's not marine plywood it won't hold up.
Last thing I see, and it maybe the camera, is the wood on the inside appears to have black mold growing on it. If you go further with glass on this wood you should consider killing that off before you put epoxy and glass over it.
Understand in no way am I busting your chops, I'm just looking out for you.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 pm
by CatfishHunter
it's marine plywood I know that for sure. as for the boat I hit the entire inside with 60 grit sand paper to knock of the dirt and grime, blew it out, and wiped everything with acetone. primed all joints with epoxy then used west systems 405 fillet filler mixed with epoxy to fillet everything in. Next to tab everything in with the biaxle tape. The working time on this slow cure epoxy is amazing compared to poly...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm
by CatfishHunter
a picture of the finished fillet, ready for tape... I cant get the pictures to upload in order.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:11 pm
by peter-curacao
As I understood it's the type of lamination glue that makes ply marine ply so I'm not sure how to detect that from pics, fillets and tape I would have done wet on wet but that's me.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:42 pm
by CatfishHunter
From what i gather wet on wet is stronger but glassing over a well sanded and cleaned fillet is plenty strong...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:43 pm
by Eric1
Not doubting you, I've just never seen plugged marine ply.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:51 pm
by CatfishHunter
ya'll noticed the mold and dirt and the "non marine ply" but missed the awesome scarf joints the previous owner did... not a but block anywhere. this is marine fir i know a little cheaper than what ya'll sell on the website but none the less its marine ply. :lol: 8)

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:53 pm
by Eric1
Ok Cool! Build on!

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:56 pm
by CatfishHunter
Eric1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:43 pm Not doubting you, I've just never seen plugged marine ply.
from the vendors website it says "marine fir ab grade has no more then 9 single plugs per sheet"...

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:03 pm
by Eric1
CatfishHunter wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:56 pm
Eric1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:43 pm Not doubting you, I've just never seen plugged marine ply.
from the vendors website it says "marine fir ab grade has no more then 9 single plugs per sheet"...
Cool, I'd never seen the stuff! Glad it's marine grade. :D

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:20 pm
by peter-curacao
It's okay, it's what they sell in the mayor home improvement stores, if I remember correctly I used it on the sole of my CS because the marine store was out of Bruynzeel, it holds up good, about the wet on wet, it's just easier to do it that way not necessarily better :wink:

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:32 pm
by CatfishHunter
thanks for the replys fellas. definitely a ton to think about. Stress levels are way up there for sure lol. I decided to build this boat because i couldn't afford a new $10k hull. so keep in mind the modest budget of an aspiring new captain... Most of the wood boats i've owned and worked on are all local built tunnel hull boats and mullet skiffs built with poly and non marine ply. they're only glassed on the bottom and still last 20-30 years...

This was my last guide boat that i rebuilt, a 25 year old ex guide boat built by local Donny Russel. 25 ft long by 101" wide. very heavy and ugly but she'd float in spit and carry 4 old men fishing in their lawn chairs.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:57 pm
by Captain D
Looks like you have a great start, and are doing a fine job. I'm sure you will be happy with the finished skiff.
If you want a second opinion about the air bubbles there's a good glass man who lives off of Cardinal his name is Roy. maybe you could have him stop by and look at it. If you want his number let me know.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 pm
by CatfishHunter
Shoot me that guys number if he doesn't mind and i'll give him a call if i need some help for sure. It'd be cool if it was the guy on the same street lol

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:14 pm
by Aripeka Angler
HI Catfishhunter!
Welcome aboard! Good luck finishing the boat.
I built the same boat, it's a monster.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:13 pm
by TomW1
Since you have ab fir it would be best if you cover it with 4 or 6 ounce fiberglass. This will keep it from checking. Good luck on completing your build the XF20 is a great shallow water boat.

Tom

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 pm
by CatfishHunter
TomW1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:13 pm Since you have ab fir it would be best if you cover it with 4 or 6 ounce fiberglass.
Tom
Not sure where your refering too. BOM calls for 12oz 45/45 biaxle cloth and 12oz biaxle tape... there are 2 layers of 1708 on the outside bottom and one layer on the outside sides... I have the 12 oz 6" tape on its way but i haven't ordered the cloth yet so please elaborate. Also I see it calls for woven tape but see no reference to it on the layup schedule... thought it does say cover hull inside and out with 1708 but it lists 12 oz biaxle on the BOM :help: :doh:
BOM:

Fiberglass tape:
biaxial 45/45 12 oz. 6" wide (400 gr/m2, 15 cm wide)
Woven tape : 9 oz. 4" wide (300gr/m2, 10 cm wide)
Fiberglass fabric: biaxial 45/45 12 oz. 50" wide (400 gr/m2, 150 cm wide)

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:26 am
by TomW1
I mean cover all the frames and stringers and especially any wood exposed to sunlight with fiberglass.

Tom

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:27 am
by CatfishHunter
yes the plans call for everything to be coated with glass thanks. I plan on using what tape the plans call for plus the 1708.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 am
by Aripeka Angler
I used 6" 12 ounce biaxial tape for all of the taping inside my XF-20.
If you are going to wrap the stringers, you'll need to round over the top with a rounding over bit.
Are you are going to put down a sole on my the stringers?
When I built my boat in 2007, there was no other cloth specified besides 1708.
I have some ideas to share after you settle on a layout.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:28 am
by stickystuff
Yo Catfish. I will chime in since I am the one responsible for theXF20.I live in Crystal River. Funny, I was on Cardinal yesterday at Wally world. After the holiday I will swing by and see the Xf. Give you some pointers and will prob. learn some from you. Have a Happy Turkey day and will get in touch next week ..How far down is sorrell from walmart. Is it on North or south side of Cardinal?I can be reached at 3523426619. Ken

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:22 pm
by MrPaul
stickystuff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:28 am Yo Catfish. I will chime in since I am the one responsible for theXF20.I live in Crystal River. Funny, I was on Cardinal yesterday at Wally world. After the holiday I will swing by and see the Xf. Give you some pointers and will prob. learn some from you. Have a Happy Turkey day and will get in touch next week ..How far down is sorrell from walmart. Is it on North or south side of Cardinal?I can be reached at 3523426619. Ken
Geeze man...how lucky can you get. You've got the xf 20 man only a couple blocks away! Small world.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:38 pm
by jacquesmm
From the designer: there are two main versions of the XF20. The light one without a sole uses a lighter fiberglass than the heavy duty version with a sole.
The light version can not take more than 50HP and even that is a lot.
The version with the sole takes larger engines but require more glass.

Look at the drawing for the sole option: it shows the heavier layup.

The light woven cloth is to finish seams around the seats etc. All other seas are made with biaxial.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:36 pm
by CatfishHunter
thanks guys. I'm on sorrell right behind the walmart... you can't miss the boat in the yard. Stop by anytime I'm home most afternoons. watch out for the dog she bites lol. any help will be much appreciated...

Sean R. 352 538 8331

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:41 pm
by CatfishHunter
Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 am Are you are going to put down a sole on my the stringers?
yes planning on a sole with front and rear decks... something like 10" gunnels. I'd like to shorten the decks from the current layout in the picture by a foot each way to have more room in the center of the boat. I'm not sure if this is doable or not... if all else fails i plan on decking it at its current layout.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:55 pm
by TomW1
Man Catfisherman are you lucky you have ken who was instrumental in the design of the boat and Richard not far away. They will both keep you on line and provide all the help you will need.

Tom

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 pm
by Fuzz
If you get the chance look over Richard's Red Alert. It is one fine looking boat and has help up really well. I had three days to look it over all I wanted and found no flaws at all. Nobody will get the same chance with something I built :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:54 pm
by CatfishHunter
Fuzz wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 pm If you get the chance look over Richard's Red Alert. It is one fine looking boat and has help up really well. I had three days to look it over all I wanted and found no flaws at all. Nobody will get the same chance with something I built :lol:
I tried to look at the post but the pictures arnt showing up for me, is it my computer or????... I'm currently reading through majorgators build and want a similar layout...

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Here are some pictures of my boat "Red Alert"...

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm
by CatfishHunter
nice boat! I plan on a very similar layout but intend to run a tiller and hope to shorten each deck by 1 ft to give my parties a little more leg room...

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 pm
by Aripeka Angler
CatfishHunter wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm nice boat! I plan on a very similar layout but intend to run a tiller and hope to shorten each deck by 1 ft to give my parties a little more leg room...
Thank you. I you have any questions ask them here.
I lost a lot of photos in the photobucket debacle, I still have a bunch I can dig up if need be.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:14 pm
by CatfishHunter
Cool deal AA I'll ask plenty im sure... do you have a picture of your hull before the sole and decks went in. I'd like to see the framework underneath on your boat...

I made an order Sunday night from the website for some materials to finish up my fillets... It was here when i got home from work today!!! I wasn't expecting it until after turkey day.'m truly impressed on how fast it got here. If it warms up and the rain holds off i might get some more done on the boat this week.

I sanded the entire boat one more time with 60grit to knock the rest of that mildew off and wiped it with a healthy portion of acetone. Should be good to go now...

Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:20 pm
by Aripeka Angler
I looked today for a pic before the deck went on, no luck. I have a laptop at my fishing shack in Hudson which might have some photos on it. I'll check when I go over there this weekend. It's been a long time. Hopefully, I can find some pics.

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:57 pm
by CatfishHunter
I got everything filleted in and cleaned up ready to be tabbed in. If the weather holds out i'll get some of it done tomorrow...

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:56 pm
by CatfishHunter
We put in a solid afternoon of work today and got the 2 layers of 12oz tape glassed into all the inside seams. I ran out of material before doing the stringers as they called for 3 layers of tape... I'll have to make an order for some more cloth and epoxy this week to knock out the stringers. I also need to sort out the transom knees before i glass anything else in...

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:02 pm
by CatfishHunter
I spent the weekend fishing with the family but found a little time to work on the boat. I finally got the transom knee's glued and filleted into place. Next step is to tape the knees and stringers into place. One of the knees needs a little fine tuning with the sander as it ended up a little higher then the other. :doh:

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:21 pm
by Browndog
The boat is looking good and nice catch. I see that pompano in there and Get jealous. I know there has got to be some up around where I live, but no one targets them at all. One of these days I‘m going to have to try to catch a few as they are one of my favorites.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:25 pm
by CatfishHunter
Browndog wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:21 pm The boat is looking good and nice catch. I see that pompano in there and Get jealous. I know there has got to be some up around where I live, but no one targets them at all. One of these days I‘m going to have to try to catch a few as they are one of my favorites.
Thanks it was a fun day. He was strictly by catch and a surprise while tossing mirrolures for trout... We catch a few around here but no one really targets them either...

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 pm
by Jeff
Catfishhunter, your XF is looking but but your recent fishing adventure was fantastic!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:27 pm
by CatfishHunter
Bad news today for my project. my fiberglass mentor stopped by to check out the outside of the hull and air bubbles under the 1708... His conclusion was the previous owener/builder didn't wet out the plywood nearly enough and ended up with a dry layup... the plywood soaked up most of the resin and the mat stayed dry... Looks like i'll be sanding and peeling off this half ass fiberglass job... the good news is it peels off fairly easy... the bad news is i'll have to recoat the entire outside of the hull... this $350 hull just got alot more expensive.

I put in a order last week for some Marinepoxy and 6" tape to finish the tabbing in. I'm no longer using the Raka epoxy... I'm also questioning on weather or not i should use this 1708 that was included with the boat, as im not sure if it was the right material. I'm going to stick to products from BBC...

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 pm
by Jeff
Catfishhunter, don’t throw out the 1708, just get someone to inspect it to ensure it is good 1708 cloth. It likely is fine and you can use it without incurring additional expense!! Happy to take a look if you want to cut a small area and ship to us or just get some really close-up photos and we can see if the photos are good enough to give you an opinion!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 pm
by CatfishHunter
thanks jeff sent you an email... maybe you cna help me out or i'll send you a sample. It's not enough to finish the boat so im going to have to order more anyways.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:01 pm
by Jeff
CatfishHunter, just responded back to your mail. Feel free to call me tomorrow: shop 772.770.1225 or my mobile 772.631.4665!! Happy holidays, Jeff

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:32 am
by topwater
That hull looked to be built from marine fir , it will soak a lot more epoxy .

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:33 am
by CatfishHunter
topwater wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:32 am That hull looked to be built from marine fir , it will soak a lot more epoxy .
you are 100% correct on that it's fir... I'm not sure how he managed to get so many air bubbles as the inside work that i did went on smooth :lol:

Here are pics of the 1708, just want to make sure its the stuff compatible with epoxy as i've read not all 1708 is. Thanks again for your help everyone.
Jeff we must be on the same schedule as i just got your email as i'm replying to this thread lol 8)

pics far and near of both sides of the 1708 in question.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 am
by Tungsten
I wonder if the matt used was intended to be used with poly resins?Sure is suspicious that u can peel away the glass.
I remember a post by CL saying that there is no use for 1708 in wooden boats.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 am
by CatfishHunter
Tungsten wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 am I wonder if the matt used was intended to be used with poly resins?Sure is suspicious that u can peel away the glass.
I remember a post by CL saying that there is no use for 1708 in wooden boats.
The plans call for this material... the extra thickness is needed for the xf20... some 1708 has the mat coated with something that disolves in poly and not epoxy... I was also wandering this myself. There however is a 1708 made that is compatible with epoxy and is sold on BBC.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:53 am
by Tungsten
I wish i could find the thread,there was a conversation regarding the use of 1708 that's meant for epoxy.It was a good read.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 am
by Jaysen
Do an advanced search for "1708 epoxy poly". There a lot in there about a '71 aquasport and a privateer 22. I think one of those is the thread you are looking for..

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am
by Reid
CatfishHunter,

Jeff and I were looking though your pictures and discussing your situation in the shop today. From the photos you show the cloth looks good. Without seeing and touching the cloth in person all I can say is that it is either 1208 or 1708. Either way I believe your buddy that came to look at the glass job was correct, the wood was simply not pre-wet before cloth was applied. Anytime you add cloth to bare wood the wood needs to be pre-wet with epoxy. If you don't pre-wet then the wood (which is porous) it will pull the epoxy from the cloth, leaving the cloth "starved" for epoxy and resulting in dry cloth with air pockets and white/cloudy areas.
Going forward, strip all the bad cloth from the hull. If the hull surface is slick you need to rough it up with some 80 or 60 grit paper. According to Jacques specs you will need 35 yards of 1708 for the hull. When you lay up your new cloth, pre-wet the wood, lay the cloth down (chop side down) and wet out the cloth. You can use a laminating roller to help you get the cloth completely saturated as well as get the air bubbles out. Use a spreader to get the excess epoxy out of the cloth, you don't want to be left with an ice skating rink when you are done.
Sorry you had these issues but it sounds like the old cloth is coming off easily so hopefully that saves you some grinding/sanding time.

-Reid

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 am
by CatfishHunter
Thanks Reid. Yeah My plan of attack is to finish the stringers on the inside, then flip the hull and grind it all out and re glass it. Anyone with a spare tyvek suit please mail them to my neighbors as it's going to get dusty...

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 am
by Jeff
CatfishHunter, yes we both looked at your cloth and feel it is fine!! I can't remember who said it in a prior forum post but your wood (Marine Fir) is going to soak-up some resin!! The XF20 is a great boat, you will love it when completed!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 am
by cape_fisherman
The good thing is that hopefully that fir is now impregnated with resin and won't soak up any more.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 am
by pee wee
cape_fisherman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 am The good thing is that hopefully that fir is now impregnated with resin and won't soak up any more.
What can happen if the ply isn't wet out good first is that after you turn the lights out on what looks like a great glassing job, the ply continues to suck resin out of the cloth/mat leaving you an unpleasant surprise next morning.

I agree with cape fisherman that the ply hopefully has a full serving of resin by now.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:41 am
by Aripeka Angler
Fir has been used successfully in boat building for a LONG time.
I suspect that there was never enough resin on that 1708, the problem is most likely due a bad layup rather than the thirsty fir substrate. I seriously doubt the last guy had a clue what he was doing and he was probably running low on resin before he ever started the layup.
If I remember correctly, we poured 13 gallons of epoxy on my XF20 when we laminated the outside with two layers of 1708.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:47 am
by Jeff
AA, very good update for CatfishHunter!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 pm
by CatfishHunter
I finished up tabbing in the stringers this week. I have to finish up with the transom knees and tunnel then sand everything out and put a layer of 1708 over the inside of the hull. I'll need to order some resin before tackling that job.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:42 pm
by Jeff
Nice work CatfishHunter!! The XF20 is one of my favorites!! Happy holidays, Jeff

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:28 pm
by Aripeka Angler
That is first class laminating work. 8)

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:21 pm
by Eric1
Very Nice Indeed!

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:29 pm
by CatfishHunter
Building under an open carport has its limitations. Work's come to a halt with this cold weather. The boat has been tarped for the last month. I figure I'd post a link to my youtube channel. I made a few videos of the progression so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB9dpNe ... 76zTmTRbZ0

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:40 pm
by Jeff
Catfishhunter, good to hear from you!!! Thanks for checking in!! I will go watch your YouTube later!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:41 am
by MrPaul
Nice videos! Finally someone posted a motion video of their build. I still enjoy the still shot montages that most people put up on youtube but I find this one a lot more informative as to how you're actually doing the build. :D

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 pm
by CatfishHunter
weather is finally warming up a tad so I put in an order for 4.5 gals of resin and 20 yards of 1708. Planning to knock out the inside of the hull, then start fixing the previous owners mistakes on the outside... Should be getting some work done this weekend. 8)

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 am
by Jeff
CatfishHunter, Sorry you had issues with our site regarding shipping yesterday!! We are looking at the issue and trying to determine what went wrong for you!! Regardless, your order will ship today!! Thank you and your build is really starting to look good!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:08 pm
by CatfishHunter
Thanks jeff. I'm not sure what the problem was??? I'll just call to place an order next time. you guys are much easier to deal with then the interweb...

I got the inside of the hull sanded out today. it took me a few hours and some 60 grit. I need to hit a few hi spots with the grinder and I'll clean the rest up tomorrow . I hope to glass this weekend weather permitting. The 2nd pic you can see the 3 layers of biaxle tape i used on the stringer, I over lapped each layer. staggering 1" each time... turned out pretty dang good... :lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:42 pm
by Dougster
That looks pretty dang good to me too! Very clean and precise looking. Gonna be super strong.

Dougster

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:02 pm
by Jeff
Yes, looks really nice CatfishHunter!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:13 pm
by cape_fisherman
Love the boat, but that hard spot on the starboard side is gonna be hell to fair out if you don't fix it.

Is there a reason to use such a short piece of ply up front where the bend is? Would it result in a more fair curve to use a full length sheet there & put the short one in the middle or closest to the stern?

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:26 pm
by CatfishHunter
I'm not sure on the reason for the small piece of ply up front as i bought this hull already started. i'm just going with what i got lol. i'm not fairing much of the inside of the boat as it sits now. it will all be covered by decks later on. The outside of the hull needs to be completely ground down and redone as the previous owner didn't get enough resin on his layup... If your referring to the bend where the front sections of ply meet on the outside... there is a nice sized air pocket under the fibger glass and it's really ugly right there. I hope to fix this when i grind all of the outside down. I plan to glass the inside and put in a few bulkheads and then it should be stable enough to flip and do the bottom over.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 pm
by CatfishHunter

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 pm
by CatfishHunter
I took the grinder to the high spots and went over the entire boat again quickly with the sander this morning. Cleaned it out, wiped everything with clean rags and acetone. I started laying down some 1708 working my way from the inside out. working solo this a piece of 1708 this big isnt very user friendly lol... I got about 1/2 the hull glassed in. The bugs buzzing the lights started getting stuck in the epoxy so i gave up for the night, back at it in the am.

Not sure why the pic is sideways...
P2090246.JPG

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:05 am
by CatfishHunter
after 2 full days working by myself I got the bottom finished. Next the sides and a little on the bow left to do. I still have to figure out my clamping board on the transom then it will get glassed as well. It sure would have been MUCH easier to glass the bottom before the stringers went in. humidity is to high today to glass so I'll give it a break and go fishing.

On another note, while using a squeegee to wet out the 1708 the excess epoxy I was scraping off would get really foamy and hard to work with... any reasons for this?
P2110248.JPG

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:29 am
by cape_fisherman
Maybe the air from the mat was causing your foam issue.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:34 am
by CatfishHunter
that makes sense cape because this 1708 is a pain to wet out!

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:50 am
by Jeff
You were able to get a lot accomplished, even working alone!! Nice job CatfishHunter!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 pm
by CatfishHunter
Thanks jeff. yes cape i suspect that was indeed the case. I slowed the plastic scraper down and did longer sweeping passes and ended up with less air in the resin i was moving around. I finished glassing the bottom and sides of the hull today. Bow, transom, and tunnel left to do. Then I can start putting in the bulkheads.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:09 pm
by cape_fisherman
good job!

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:27 pm
by Jeff
Yes CatfishHunter, nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pm
by CatfishHunter
Thanks fella's. I got the bow knocked out this afternoon. I'm glad to say she's 100% waterproof now with the exception of the transom. I'm still figuring out the clamp board situation. Now it's on to the fun stuff! I've used a little over 10 gallons of resin so far. I still have to flip it over and redo the outside!!! :lol:

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:43 am
by Freaknreakn
Nice clean work Catfish!

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:50 pm
by CatfishHunter
Late night staring contest with the boat... I'm set on the deck layout. 6' front deck. 4' rear. 8" gunwales. That will leave roughly 10' x 5' open middle section... With the warmer weather I should be able to get some more work done these next couple weekends. I cut out the transom knees and added another piece of plywood to the transom making it 1.5" of ply total instead of adding a hardwood style clamping board.

Thanks everyone for following along so far.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:24 pm
by CatfishHunter
I was able to get the transom glassed in this week.I ended up adding another 3/8th ply board making the total thickness 1.5" now. I tabbed it in with 12oz biaxle tape then covered it in scrap 1708 material. I also picked up a 75 Mercury 4 stroke to power my boat. Bulkheads and deck framing this weekend, weather permitting.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:31 am
by CatfishHunter
I got the front bulkhead tabbed in... 2 more then then onto the deck framing. Check out my build playlist on youtube if you haven't already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TumAdX0 ... 76zTmTRbZ0

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:05 am
by Jeff
CatfishHunter, your build is making real progress!! Hope you got a great deal on the Mercury!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:01 pm
by TomW1
Nice going on your build. Nice motor. When your ready for a prop take a look at this one especially if you have a jack plate. http://www.ptprop.com/index.php?page=sh ... &Itemid=46

Tom

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:36 pm
by CatfishHunter
Thanks tom. Yes i do have a jack plate and am looking for a prop as the motor didn't come with one. I'll check the site out.

I did get a hell of a deal the Merc. A friend and fellow captain donated it to me so I can get the boat on the water. It had been in his shed for a backup and he purchased a new motor and no longer needed it. I'll need to service the carbs and basic stuff from sitting but she's a runner for sure, and should be a great fit on my boat.

Fitting the rear bulkhead this afternoon. had to pull the hull in slightly as it was a bit out of shape. Thinking about glassing it in but we have some rain in the forecast... :doh:

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:06 pm
by CatfishHunter
I got the aft bulkhead tabbed into place. I also got around to pulling the carbs(4) off the Merc and gave them a quick cleaning. They were pretty crusty and will probably need a complete rebuild but I'll see how it runs from here. Back to real work during the week hopefully i'll get some more done next weekend!

Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:23 pm
by CatfishHunter
Got a little more work done on the xf20 this weekend. Final bulkhead tabbed into place and I got the transom knees tabbed back in. I'm ready to frame the decks and sole now...

Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:28 pm
by PapaDave
Build looks great. What is the height, thickness, and width apart of your stringers? Keep up the work.
Dave

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:06 pm
by CatfishHunter
Thanks for stopping in papadave. the stringers were made from 2 layers for 3/8th ply laminated together. They run about 16' and are 5" high. not sure on the width apart i'd have to recheck the layout. but the center two butt up against the tunnel.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 pm
by Eric1
Boats looking good. :)

Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:33 pm
by Capt UB
New to Epoxy, these pages have some good reading..

https://bateau2.com/howto/sg101.php

and more to read,

http://bateau2.com/howto-index.php

Looks like a nice boat to build, good luck. Take lots of photo's...

Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:45 pm
by CatfishHunter
Rub rails going on this weekend... I went with the 1x4" for extra support as i'll be carrying extra passengers more often then not.

Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm
by Jeff
CatFishHunter, you are really making good progress now!! Looks great!! Jeff

Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:13 pm
by CatfishHunter
yes sir its coming along nicely. but one step forward two steps back. I'm almost to the point where I can flip the boat and grind out the rest of the previous owners poor lamination on the outside of the hull... :lol:

Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:32 am
by Jeff
Soon CatFishHunter, very soon!!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:12 am
by CatfishHunter
I got a little work done on the boat this week... I glassed in some gunnel supports/ribs to the side of the boat. This will give me a place to attach the inside gunnel board and a place for the decking to sit...(sorry for lack of proper boating terms lol) I might ad two more to each side just to give me a proper curve. The boards were 6" so that gives me about an 8" gunnel after everything is glassed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcW8N0gvU7I

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:05 pm
by Capt UB
Looking good! You are going to love fairing!!!

Do you guide out of Crystal River area? Some bad ass fishing and oyster bars there!

Keep posting...

Bob

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:15 pm
by fitzclf
Nice video!

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:48 am
by CatfishHunter
I'll be using the boat mostly out of Chassahowitzka and ozello a few miles south of crystal river. oysters bars and rocks are even worse here then in CR lol.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:29 pm
by CatfishHunter
I havn't posted an update in a while but with this hot rainy summer we've been having here in central FL I haven't got alot accomplished. I ordered some tropical slow hardener to try and get a little done. Since the last update gunnel supports or "ribs" were glassed in, and I started laminating and framing the bulkheads. Next will be gunnel boards and framing for the decks and sole.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:23 am
by thb
CatfishHunter,

You are making good progress. Loved your short video. I see you decided to add additional gunnel supports since the video or were they planned all along. Not fun working outside is it. I feel for you. Good way to lose weight as I sweat buckets just doing anything outside this time of year. Keep up the good work.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:34 am
by Jeff
CatfishHunter, agree with Tom, good progress!! And yes, this has been one hot summer here in Florida!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:27 am
by CatfishHunter
thanks guys. I added additional ribs to help the inside gunnel board keep to the contour curve of the boat a little easier. Nothing I'm doing on the inside is planned really. Just making things up as i go :lol: I upload a little video every time i do a little work. I have about 20 or so videos of the build so far if you check out my channel "Seven Cabbage Fishing" on youtube. I have enough materials to finish the inside for the most part. More work to come if the weather holds out.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:07 am
by thb
CatfishHunter,

Yeah I kind of do the same thing as I go along. Design on the fly. You are doing really nice with your glass work. When are you planning to flip it and redo the bottom? The ladder system worked good for me in flipping my FS17. Do you have access to a tractor with forks up front? It looked like someone on your street had a tractor when I searched on google maps.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:41 am
by CatfishHunter
I have several fishing guide buddies that all build boats. I'll buy a case of beer and have them over for a boat flipping party. we've flipped much larger boats then this that weighed 2500lbs. This little thing shouldn't be to bad. Here's the last one we flipped 25ft long 8.5ft wide. and another of a 23' sitting in my yard that needs new frames and floor boards.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:57 am
by cape man
Loved the video of the Chassawhisky, and seven cabbages is indeed a great place name for a guide service. 30 years ago I got my first trip there with a coworker that knew Pete Walker who had a place out towards the mouth, and over a period of about ten years got to know the locals and the waters. That's the river that has big limestone rocks that move every night! Went through 3 aluminum props on a 5 day trip there with a 20' Sport Craft, and almost took the lower unit off a 40hp Johnson on a little Carolina Skiff. First time to seven cabbages the redfish were on fire and we boated over 2 dozen easily.

The XF20 is a perfect boat for there and Homassassa (actually all the way down to Hudson and up to the bend). Keep posting the videos!

Boat is looking great!

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm
by CatfishHunter
Chass is definitely a hidden gem. MY grandad and his two brothers were guides here. Walter, johnny, and Cricket. Johnny just hit 80 years old and still fishes the river in his 30 year old wood boat. You might have ran into one of them at some point. I love fishing north from the river into the 7 cabbage area! thanks everyone for the kind words and help along the way.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:53 pm
by cape man
I knew all three of them, and drooled over the boats they used. They would make a point of always stopping by Pete's and/or Mickey's on their way by, even when they had a load of clients. We were there when a pilot crashed his plane in a few feet of water just offshore, and I believe it was Cricket in his wooden skiff that took the fire and rescue guys out to assess the crash site. Great guys and they always had a boat full of fish on the way home. I just may have to swing a day off and see what's biting...

This was two years ago with my Washington State friend (he's 6'6")... have never found a place with better sheephead fishing...

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:37 pm
by CatfishHunter
Chipped away at some light work in between the rain this weekend...

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:21 pm
by CatfishHunter
Spent a few hours tonight sanding and getting the gunnel supports fine tuned and ready for the inside boards. I got some nice oak 1x4's for the inside. Tomorrow i'll shop vac everything , wipe with acetone and install the inside gunnel boards and the rest of the deck framing...

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 am
by Eric1
Just a heads up on the oak. From what I've researched red oak should not be used in boats. Hopefully others will chime in.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 am
by topwater
White oak is what boat builders use . Red oak because of the grain structure soaks up a ton of water .
If you cover it with glass and epoxy i guess it would be alright but why take a chance when there are
better options out there .

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:36 am
by cape man
Sealing with epoxy and protecting the surface with glass changes the equation on what wood you can use. Problem with oak is the weight, but on a boat like this that isn't as big a concern.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:40 am
by thb
That is a nice clear piece of oak board you have there. Remind me where are you going to use it.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:47 am
by thb
Never mind my stupid question. I see you are going to use the oak for the inside gunnel vertical pieces. What are you using for the horizontal sections of the gunnels. I used cypress planed down to about 3/8 inch thick for the vertical pieces. !/4 Meranti ply for the top caps and then wrap it all with cloth and epoxy.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 am
by CatfishHunter
Plenty of boats frames are made from oak, in this case the oak will be the inside horizontal board that the gunnel cap will rest on... i used cheap knotted up fir for the outside rubrail and had an issue with it cracking when making the curve, I didnt want to use plywood as i've done enough laminating already lol. Everything will be coated and sealed so it shouldn't be an issue. as for weight its only two 10 ft sections and will be wrapped underneath the gunnel about as far from any water as it can get. The "Devil" oak boards are cut and into place... still need a little coaxing to get in there perfect.

There should be more positive reinforcement on this forum instead of "you should have done it this way"... :lol:

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 am
by Eric1
I just thought you would want to look into the issue with red oak. I thought I was being positive.
I'll comment no further on your build.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:08 am
by thb
Catfishhunter,

I love your build. Keep it up, you are doing a super job.

regards
Tom

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 am
by CatfishHunter
Eric I didn't mean it like that but in a perfect world I would have built it out of mahogany and sailed around the world. sometimes we're limited to what we have around us and in my case a very limited budget. I've exhausted my savings and its been a year of building. at this point I just want to finish this boat and get it on the water so it can start making money.

I have a 20 year old lumberyard skiff in the yard that still floats and makes money. its made from pine decking boards and bc plywoood. If i get that long from the xf20 I'll be more then happy. no hard feelings as i didnt mean it that way. Thanks everyone for checking out the build.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:05 am
by Jaysen
Catfish, not all oak is the same. Like ply. To Eric’s point, white oak is what you’ll find in nearly all applications where water saturation is to be avoided (casks, boats, tanks, etc). As noted you can overcome that by dealing with epoxy and glass. This is about safety more than “the right way”. Saturated wood is weaker as the celluloid fibers become flexible (think steam bending). It will also tend to rot from the inside. Which means you’ll find out there’s a problem when it fails. Catastrophically.

While I do understand you comment about “positive” I’m not sure we should push away safety concerns.

I think red oak would be fine, and look great as bright work, if you are sure to fully encapsulate with epoxy. Pay special attention to any and all end grain. Sand back any notches to allow for a good epoxy coat to remain post sanding. And make sure you use a UV clear coat or colored paint and you’re good to go.

Make sure you get some pics. We all like pics.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:03 pm
by thb
CatfishHunter,

I understand trying to build something on a limited budget. My boat building is all financed off my hobby of fixing chainsaws and sawing logs on my woodmizer. The income from this is sporatic.

Anyway I wanted to offer you some assistance in the form of some marine wire which will be surplus to my needs right now. When you get ready to start the wiring contact me. We are less than 2 hours apart. I also have a cable steering set up which has no home.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:06 pm
by thb
CatfishHunter,

Almost forgot the 32 gallon moeller fuel tank which is kind of big for the xf20 but it is a low profile model which would probably sit between the stringers. See picture in items for sale listing.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:49 pm
by CatfishHunter
Thanks THB will take a look and be in contact for sure. Between the boat build and the $1500 for my captains license course/applications process last year, I'm on a ramen noodle budget lol. I've been looking for a fuel tank, as that is hindering my deck/hatch layout plans. not sure if i want to put it up front, between the 2nd bulkheads or under the rear deck.

Both inside gunnel boards are cut and fit. i'll glass them in after lunch...

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:49 pm
by Eric1
CatfishHunter wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 am Eric I didn't mean it like that but in a perfect world I would have built it out of mahogany and sailed around the world. sometimes we're limited to what we have around us and in my case a very limited budget. I've exhausted my savings and its been a year of building. at this point I just want to finish this boat and get it on the water so it can start making money.

I have a 20 year old lumberyard skiff in the yard that still floats and makes money. its made from pine decking boards and bc plywoood. If i get that long from the xf20 I'll be more then happy. no hard feelings as i didnt mean it that way. Thanks everyone for checking out the build.
No worries, Inflection is easily lost in written word. Build on and thank you for clarifying.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 am
by thb
CatfishHunter,

How is it going with your XF20 build. Have not seen any updates in several weeks.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:19 pm
by CatfishHunter
I've been chipping away at it... I cut the deck and gunnel caps out of the remainder of the 3/8th fir plywood i had and dry fit everything. Continued with some frame work but i'm sort of at a stand still until i purchase my hatches and fuel tank. I plan to glass the bottom of the panels this weekend if i get a chance. tons of sanding and cleanup that isn't that glamorous.

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:46 pm
by Jeff
Nice progress CatfishHunter!! Good to hear from you!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:02 am
by thb
It is looking real good. I see all the wood for the floor support. Floor going on pretty soon?

P/S, if you need some floatation foam I have some extra you are welcome to. Some came with the FS17 when I bought it 3+ years ago. I also have a windshield which came with the boat which I am not going to use as It is too wide for my console.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:20 am
by CatfishHunter
thanks Tom. I'm staying away from any foam on this project, and will probably set it up for a tiller motor to stat with. I'm trying to stay with the open area to fish 2-3 guys plus me. A large console wont work, if i do go with a console it will be a very small one on the rear deck with a leaning post.

I'm going to hold off on the floor for now as im going to use 1/2" marine fir instead of the 3/8ths that i have been using so far.

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:16 pm
by CatfishHunter
I managed to get the bottom side of the gunnel caps laminated and attached to the boat. once the epoxy cures I'll router around everything and clean up the edges. Things have been going a little slow because of the terrible amine blush i've been getting with the "tropical slow" hardener. I'll be sticking with the "Slow" hardener on my next orders as i had little to no blush with it. :doh: I'm running out of material and need to make another order soon anyways...

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:45 pm
by thb
CatfishHunter,

Looks real good. I like the wide gunnels. You could keep it real simple and not put a sole on it. One of the original XF20's in the picture gallery had no sole with 25 hp Johnson. I would be tempted to use 1/4 on the sole with layer of 17-08 on top for strength.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:05 pm
by CatfishHunter
The rest of the boat is 3/8th. I originally planned on using it on the sole but i dont want any flex as it will be carrying multiple people on guide trips. I'm going to use 1/2" with a layer of 1708 on top and only resin coat the bottom. The rest of the decks get laminated on both sides with lighter cloth. Though i am tempted to put it on the water with a kicker motor and see how she does . :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:09 pm
by Aripeka Angler
You are making great progress. Nice looking work!

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:32 pm
by Fuzz
Have you thought about using nidacore for the sole? If you went 3/4 core and one layer of 1708 each side it should be a nice deck.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:18 am
by thb
CatfishHunter,

My boat building buddy in Perry has a 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch core he calls green board or something like that. He has it for around 70 a sheet. Would make the XF20 a lot lighter to use it for the sole with 17 oz biax on both sides. I have been thinking of using it to build the GF16. I will go up there in the next day or so and I will get the proper name for the stuff and see how much he has on hand.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:44 am
by Jeff
Tom/ CatFishHunter, just be careful in reviewing the foam. We had a call yesterday where a builder thought he was using either CoreCell or DivinyCell and it appears what he had really purchased was some kind of insulation board from Home Depot/Lowes!! He was not able to get the fiberglass cloth to adhere and as a result we received the call!! I know you both are quite experienced but just wanted to throw that warning out there!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:51 am
by thb
The only thing I buy from Homo depot is alcohol cans and some tools. Only an idiot would try to use their foam.

Regards
Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:03 pm
by CatfishHunter
I'm not worried about the weight really and nidacore and similar products are very pricey. I can get some 1/2" marine fir for less than $60 a sheet. a 1/2" sheet resin coated on the bottom and 1708 on top wont be much heavier then 3/8th with 6 oz on both sides.I only need about 3 sheets for the sole. Thanks for all the input guys

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:58 pm
by thb
Where do you find 1/2 inch marine fir?

Regards
Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:59 pm
by CatfishHunter
Triton lumber here in homosassa usually has everything i need. all the 3/8ths for this boat came from there.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:19 pm
by OrangeQuest
I like buying my plywood for the boat at my local lumber yard. The price is just to good for Hydrotek Meranti.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:47 pm
by CatfishHunter
I haven't got a whole lot done on the xf20. I threw my back out trying to move the trailer around the yard by myself. I did purchase an old rotted out microdraft hull for $100 and salvaged all the hatches, pumps, cleats, battery boxes, trolling motor mount, and hardware for my build. anything to save a little $$$. I've been messing around with the deck hatch layout, once i figured it out i'll cut some holes in the deck and finish the framing.

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:29 am
by thb
Good deal to get all those hatches and other stuff off the donor vessel. Hatches alone are at least 70 a piece up to 90. Too bad the microdraft rotted out but that is what happens with other building methods. I have 9 hatches on my FS17 and the costs add up pretty darn quick. Great savings on salvaging all that other hardware. Get well with your back strain. I have been there.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 am
by Eric1
Man that was a a smart move getting that donor boat! :D

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:24 am
by Jeff
Nice find CatfishHunter!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:47 am
by Freaknreakn
Looking GREAT Catfish.
I'm getting my build back this Thursday all wired up, motor and jack plate dry fitted. I will post some pics and get back on fiber glassing top deck.
Oh Joy! Fiber Glassing. :wink:

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 pm
by CatfishHunter
nice, atleast the weather is cooperating. Looking forward to your update. I took the week off from work due to this back strain. I got the microdraft gutted of all the goodies. I need to sit down and commit to ordering a fuel tank and then I can move forward with the build.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 pm
by CatfishHunter
It's been a while since i've updated this thing. Not alot of fun in grinding 80% of the bottom off an xf20 off and re glassing it... The overlapping sections of mat on the corners of the boat that the previous owner put on the outside were delaminating, so I ground them back to the bare wood removing all the old glass and fastco steelflex. I had 40+ hours in sanding/grinding to get all that mess off. I re glassed the seams with 3 layers of 12 oz bi axle tape. The bottom, transom, and sides got wrapped with 1708. Luckily the middle section of glass was good. After doing my best to get things smooth I did one quick coat of fairing mix and got most of the low spots.

Graphite went on next, She turned out pretty good. I could have faired the bottom some more but at this point in redoing the bottom a year into the build im over sanding and grinding and i'm sure my neighbors are too... :doh: :lol:

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:12 pm
by Fuzz
Grinding all the glass off that thing had to suck :!: But it is looking much better now :D Congratulations for getting this far.

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:23 pm
by Capt UB
Great job... and welcome back to building her!

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 pm
by Freaknreakn
Keep on keeping on Catfish! You’ll be cruising the shallow Chaz soon!

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 am
by Jeff
Nice work CatFish!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:52 am
by CatfishHunter
We got the boat sanded, cleaned, and Silver Tip Yacht Primer on this weekend. I'm going to flip the boat and finish the inside at this point and paint it once all the glass work is done.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:25 am
by BB Sig
Looks good!

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:33 pm
by Jeff
Nice work CatfishHunter!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:57 pm
by CatfishHunter
Still chipping away at the build. we got it flipped last month and i've been trying to wrap up some of the small stuff so I can get the decks and sole on... The Moeller fuel tank came in. I had trouble finding one with enough clearance as to where I wanted to mount it(above the tunnel all the way forward against the rear bulkhead, not back at the transom like in the pic). I built a fish box / live well for the front out of foam insulation board. Taped the corners with 10 oz biaxle and then covered in 1708. It turned out pretty decent for what I had into it lol... Next will be some minor glass work under the front and rear decks and then priming them.

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:03 am
by fallguy1000
Did you glass the outside of the well?

I recommend it.

I made something similar and the foam has no shear strength, so if it bends out a few times; it will delam.

I figure if mine delams, I will inject it!

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:12 am
by CatfishHunter
yeah the box is taped on all corners inside and out and then coated in 1708 inside and out. i plan to build a frame around the top to keep the water in and use as a mounting surface as well. she's solid as a rock.

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 pm
by CatfishHunter
I've been getting some small stuff done when I can. Rear storage area primed. Rear hatch frames situated and ready to glass in. The finish line is getting close. 8) I guess it's time to drill some drain holes and limber holes in my boat... all that work to drill holes in her lol :lol:

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 pm
by GuyP
Looking good!

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 pm
by OrangeQuest
I like the way your live well turned out and the boat really is coming together. What size tank did you wind up getting in the area you wanted? Looks like it was make for the space!

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 am
by fallguy1000
CatfishHunter wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 pm I've been getting some small stuff done when I can. Rear storage area primed. Rear hatch frames situated and ready to glass in. The finish line is getting close. 8) I guess it's time to drill some drain holes and limber holes in my boat... all that work to drill holes in her lol :lol:
I say drill her when you can!

No wonder we don't have women boat builders.

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:43 am
by Jeff
Nice progress CatfishHunter!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:11 pm
by CatfishHunter
OrangeQuest wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 pm I like the way your live well turned out and the boat really is coming together. What size tank did you wind up getting in the area you wanted? Looks like it was make for the space!
I settled on a 12 gallon tank only because of space constraints. The larger ones were either to tall or to wide... During scallop season I can always tuck a small kicker can out of the way if i need too.
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 am

I say drill her when you can!
Yes good idea, I'll take what i can get these days. :lol:

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:06 pm
by CatfishHunter
I cut a few holes in the boat, rear deck hatches are in place. :lol: Next I'm moving up to the front deck to finish the fish box section.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:41 pm
by OrangeQuest
Man that is really looking good! With all that wood shiny like that you going to be doing some sanding to get anything to stick to it! Are you going to cover with cloth or straight to paint on the decks?

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:05 pm
by CatfishHunter
i resin coated the rear deck a while back to keep the weather off it because its been under the carport for so long. I'll sand it back and cover in cloth once i get everything below deck sorted out. The deck and hatches are on there for a temporary fit. i still have wiring and pumps to hook up before i glue any decks down.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 pm
by garym
My water tight hatches leak like a sieve. Make sure all your lockers have drainage. I didn't, huge mistake.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:23 pm
by CatfishHunter
a beer can can pass through my scupper holes lol, Good looking out though. :lol: 8)

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:47 pm
by OrangeQuest
What are you saying? If you drop your beer it could get sucked out to sea? :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:55 pm
by Jaysen
OrangeQuest wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:47 pm What are you saying? If you drop your beer it could get sucked out to sea? :lol: :lol:
If you drop your beer you get tossed out of any boat I’m on. So beer getting sucked out to sea could be an advantage.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:33 am
by CatfishHunter
I just planned for a wet ride. all of my hatches and under deck storage have drainage to the main bilge(pump on each side of the tunnel). sole will be drained out each side at deck level. all of the under deck drain holes/scuppers are big enough for that empty beer can to pass through lol. You never know where those things might end up. 8)

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:06 am
by CatfishHunter
I got a little more done to the front deck storage areas. lots of sanding, got it primed and most of the framing done. I'll have to plumb and mount the fish box before i can finish the rest of the framing. Cutting holes in the front deck for the hatches next.

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:01 am
by Capt UB
That looks strong enough for a few big guys to fish off of!
Nice work.

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:59 am
by Jeff
Nice progress!! Jeff

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:03 am
by Dr. Pete
Plan to be doing mostly what you’re doing. I like it!

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:34 pm
by CatfishHunter
I had a little time today so I wrapped up the top of the transom. I was torn between using a round over bit on the router or gluing some quarter round trim to the top and glassing over it. I settled on the the molding. I glued two pieces of 3/4" 1/4 round trim together with thickened epoxy then glued it to the top of the transom.it had a slight curve and was tricky to clamp down, but both were exactly the same width and didn't need much fairing to get the 12 oz tape to lay over the top smoothly. ive never done it like this but seems like it will work lol :lol: :doh:

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:41 am
by fallguy1000
Seen quite a few times where guys end up unhappy theu didn't glass the transom cap. Sun cooks it open, water gets in and rots the top edge of the ply.

My advice is glass it.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:31 am
by OrangeQuest
The quarter round seems to be a good way to cap the end grain of the plywood and then get the fiberglass to follow the edge. Any damage gets past the fiberglass then you still have the 1/4 round to still add protection. Nice!

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:59 am
by Capt UB
Ya that 12 oz bi x can be a pain to work with ... I'm going to be using 3.5 oz woven cloth over the transom. No need for bi x tape here.

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:37 am
by CatfishHunter
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:41 am Seen quite a few times where guys end up unhappy theu didn't glass the transom cap. Sun cooks it open, water gets in and rots the top edge of the ply.

My advice is glass it.
yeah i was concerned that routing the top edge over would open the plywood up in the transom. atleast with the molding i have a sacrificial board on top and everything is sealed.

12 oz biaxle is a breeze to work with when you've been using 1708 most of the build lol i would have used lighter tape but its what i had. :lol:

Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am
by Jeff
Nice progress CatFish!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 pm
by CatfishHunter
I got the fish box installed and plumbed, all the thru holes for the drain and both bilges were drilled and filled and mounted. I borrowed my buddies flaring tool and installed the brass transom drain tubes. Front deck hatches cut and fit.I also decided to cut the bow transom curve flush with the deck. i kind of regret doing as it lost some of its style up front 8) , but it should make mounting the trolling motor and finishing the deck much easier. I'm slowly wrapping a bunch of the small stuff up.

I'm no longer concerned with the decks flexing as the plywood and frame setup have zero flex like it is. It should be plenty strong once laminated and glassed to the hull. Next I'll plumb and mount the bilge pumps and install the fuel fill , vent, and hoses.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:24 pm
by CatfishHunter
After much contemplation and having a larger man call me to book a fishing trip I decided to laminate the undersides of the decks with 10oz cloth before gluing them down... :lol: 8) These afternoon rains make it hard to get anything done, but slowly chipping away at it.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:30 pm
by cape man
A larger man...too funny. 8)

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:34 pm
by CatfishHunter
cape man wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:30 pm A larger man...too funny. 8)
We'll leave it at that as there might be a few of these larger men lurking about lol. I just don't want a new client to step on my boat for the first time and feel the deck flex.

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 pm
by CatfishHunter
One more piece to the puzzle, got my jackplate in. Bob's hydro jacker all in one with a 6" setback. Decks are ready to be glued down and glassed but we've had 30+ straight days of rain. Not so great for building boats under a carport.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:59 am
by OrangeQuest
Everything looks like it is coming together nicely.

We are having a very dry spell here in Houston. Humidity is very high with a sprinkle here and there but for the most part no rain.

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 am
by Jeff
CatfishHunter, yes, way too much heat and rain down here as well!!! Nice progress, Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:12 pm
by CatfishHunter
The rain and heat finally let up enough to get some work done. Both front and rear deck are glued down. The front deck got glass yesterday, I ended up using the remainder of my 1708 on the bow section I also tabbed everything in with 2 layers of 120z tape. A little overkill but she's built like a tank. Hopefully I can knock out laminating the rear deck this weekend...

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:56 pm
by Eric1
Wow! That is looking good!! I have not been on here for some time. You have come a long way. 8)

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:19 am
by Jeff
Nice work CatfishHunter!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:53 am
by Freaknreakn
Great job! I see fish slime in the near future.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:11 am
by CatfishHunter
thanks guys I got the rear deck glassed. all that's left is the floor and then im ready for fairing and primer/paint. Still having issues posting pictures without linking them form another site. I posted in the tech forum but no reply after a week??? I have a ton of pics but always get the error "ERROR
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct."......

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:36 am
by Jeff
CatfishHunter, give Reid a call when you have a minute 772.742.8535. You have always been able to post photos so I don't know what has happened!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
CatfishHunter wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:11 am thanks guys I got the rear deck glassed. all that's left is the floor and then im ready for fairing and primer/paint. Still having issues posting pictures without linking them form another site. I posted in the tech forum but no reply after a week??? I have a ton of pics but always get the error "ERROR
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct."......
Looking good! I've noticed a problem posting pictures from my phone here recently as well. I get a yellow triangle with the exclamation point after it loads and the same please verify that the url you entered is correct message

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:34 pm
by CatfishHunter
thanks again, I'll give Reid a call when i get a chance next week. still cant seem to get them to upload. mean while here's my video playlist form youtube if ya'll haven't checked it out yet...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 76zTmTRbZ0

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:50 pm
by Eric1
Thanks! I like your videos. :D

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:26 pm
by Jeff
Nice CatFishHunter!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:25 pm
by CatfishHunter
Thanks for checking out my channel, testing the waters to see if it was my new camera causing my photo upload issue.(which was indeed the issue as my older camera photos upload just fine)

I have everything but the floor done. body work and paint is just around the corner. I ordered a bunch of TotalFair epoxy filler to make the process a little easier.

Some of the pics from before...

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:31 pm
by changeat44
Nice job CatfishHunter, Just watched your channel and must say your videos are very inspiring. More videos are more than welcome!

Daniel

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:39 pm
by cape man
Looking good!

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:58 am
by Jeff
Glad to see you can again upload photos!!! Nice progress as well!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:39 pm
by CatfishHunter
I got the entire boat sanded with 120 then 220, After that I glued in the floor supports. I need to add a few more small supports before fitting and gluing the plywood down. she's getting close.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am
by fallguy1000
U going no foam?

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:11 am
by Jeff
Nice progress CatfishHunter!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:30 am
by CatfishHunter
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am U going no foam?
foam isnt in the budget and i want to get it on the water and start fishing before the year is out and try to recoup some of the $$$ I have into this thing.

I got the remainder of the cleats for the floor in place, along with the first coat of total fair compound on. That stuff is a dream to work with, great working time and if spread on thin it goes a long ways.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm
by Capt UB
CatfishHunter wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:30 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am U going no foam?
foam isnt in the budget and i want to get it on the water and start fishing before the year is out and try to recoup some of the $$$ I have into this thing.

I got the remainder of the cleats for the floor in place, along with the first coat of total fair compound on. That stuff is a dream to work with, great working time and if spread on thin it goes a long ways.
heavy duty lawn bags doubled up and filled with air tie the opening, put inside compartment. Or Noodles!

Anything that will displace any water that may get in the compartment, water bottles, milk jugs....

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 pm
by terrulian
Sorry for being late on the job but I just noticed this thread so pardon me if this has been asked and answered: Are you an A's fan?

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:26 pm
by fallguy1000
If you glue the sole down well; each compartment is technically buoyant if sealed.

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:49 am
by cape man
It always amazes me how big that boat is and what a tank it is. Looking great!

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:46 am
by CatfishHunter
terrulian wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 pm Sorry for being late on the job but I just noticed this thread so pardon me if this has been asked and answered: Are you an A's fan?
No but my family is from the area of NC where Catfish is from... Atl Braves guy here lol. I get the name from the elusive catfish from the movie "grumpy old men"

The center compartment will be sealed "airtight" the side compartments have scuppers from front hatches to the rear bilge where I'll have a automatic bilge pump on each side. I can always drill some holes in the center area later and fill with foam, but in all reality if I sink in Chassahowtizka i'll just get out of the boat and stand up. the water isnt very deep.

Thanks for stopping in everyone. I sanded back the first coat of fairing compound, should get some more work done this weekend.

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:38 pm
by CatfishHunter
I finished rough cutting and fitting the floor panels in the xf20 this afternoon. Still have some fine tuning on the cutouts around the ribs and a strip up front left to finish... Pics are from my phone as my camera still is finicky about being able to upload.

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:39 am
by Jeff
Nice progress!!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:42 pm
by CatfishHunter
I cant give enough praise to the guys at B.B.C. and their super fast delivery. I was short a little epoxy and made an order weds after work, the package was at my front door when i got home the next afternoon. :D

This lead to the floor getting glued in today, I'll finish filiting and tabbing everything in tomorrow and finish laminating the floor if everything goes as planned. I'll get some pics and video tomorrow...

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:21 pm
by CatfishHunter
I got the floor sanded out and cleaned up , I was only able to get half of it laminated. It was too much for me to do it all at once solo. I'm running low on wood flour so i figured this was a good stopping point... everything got tabbed in with strips of leftover 1708 then covered in 10oz cloth...

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:46 pm
by fallguy1000
Lookin good!

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:39 am
by Jeff
Nice work CatfishHunter!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:04 pm
by CatfishHunter
Thanks guys, I got the floor finished today. lots of sanding and fairing and some small stuff to finish like the trolling motor riser... prime this weekend maybe...

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:26 pm
by CatfishHunter
I've had all the sanding i can take, i got the primer on the boat.soon she'll be ready for paint and non skid...

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:56 pm
by Jeff
Good progress!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:05 pm
by cape man
Given its purpose on the Chassahowitzka and the fishing there, who cares about purdy! That is the perfect boat for there.

I here ya on the tired of sanding front. Every time I start sanding any project, I get in a kind of zen mode after an hour or so, which turns into something like being water boarded after the second day... The worst part is no matter how much I do it, I have never, not once, been totally happy with the results at the end. "If I had just made two more passes..." "Why didn't I go down to wet sanding with 800 grit?" ....crap like that. She will look awesome with the paint.

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:41 pm
by Browndog
Looking good.

I know what you mean on the sanding. Some of the builders seem to enjoy it. Not me, can’t wait to be done and fabricating something.

Keep it up. The finishing stuff always seems to take a lot longer than you think it will. Just keep doing a little bit at a time and you’ll be on the water before you know it.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:07 pm
by CatfishHunter
Layed the first coat of paint down today... letting it tack up a little while so I can pull the tape.

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:36 pm
by Capt UB
CatfishHunter wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:07 pm Layed the first coat of paint down today... letting it tack up a little while so I can pull the tape.
Looking great! Damn, I remember when both of us looked at this boat kit..... Glad you picked it up.

Bob

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:36 pm
by CatfishHunter
Yes I remember it well, I drove to Ocala as soon as I got ahold of him. 2 years later I'll be glad to get it done. Another coat or two of paint then the Cream KiwiGrip Goes on!

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:40 am
by Jeff
Nearly there CatfishHunter, looking really good!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:02 am
by CatfishHunter
Last coat of seafoam went on yesterday. Gonna let it cure for a few days then apply the kiwi grip... She'll be on the water soon.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:32 pm
by cape man
Oh hell yes!

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:30 am
by Jeff
Nice!!!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:06 am
by changeat44
Nice colour. Beautiful boat!

Daniel

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:46 pm
by Cbuf
Did you spray it or roll it

Thanks

Chris

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:01 pm
by CatfishHunter
thanks everyone and merry xmas! I used a 3 inch brush on the entire boat. no spraying or rolling. just brushed on then lightly tipped.

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:27 pm
by GuyP
Brush and tip. A new method to me. Looks good👍

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:26 pm
by CatfishHunter
not really any different then rolling and tipping. thin the paint properly, brush on a thin coverage on a small area then tip it off any imperfections and brush marks... :lol: how do you think they painted boats before the 50's.

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:32 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Great job on your boat sir.
Merry Christmas to y’all.
My XF is docked 20ish miles south of Homosassa.
Hope to see your boat on the flats one of these days...

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 pm
by Dr. Pete
Hoping to catch up with you. Looks great! What are you going to power with and are you putting in a console? I just got first of 3 frames tabbed in today. Got a ways to go.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:54 pm
by fallguy1000
Catfish-what was the temp when you topcoated?

Asking for a friend.. thanks

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:50 am
by CatfishHunter
thanks guys. I have a 50 tiller to put on it right now and also the mercury 75 4 stroke that i plan on putting on the back but it needs to visit the shop and get a tiller handle put on.

The temps had to be in the mid 70's when i topcoated, tough winter I know, since I'm in florida lol.

Kiwigrip got put on the front decks and gunwales.(dont mind the dirty hatches they need some bleech) This stuff is alot rougher then I had thought and a little too rough for my liking but it looks great and went on easy. going to finish the floor and rear deck once this rain clears out.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:33 pm
by CatfishHunter
kiwigrip on the decks and gunwales. I went back and brushed a thin coat over the tacked up nonskid and it took some of the aggressiveness out. Should feel a little better on the bare feet. finishing the floor tomorrow then the rigging begins...

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:24 pm
by OrangeQuest
I really like the use of the two colors, really looks good.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:40 pm
by CatfishHunter
Almost there... throw my jack plate, tiller motor, and some hardware on this thing and i'll be on the water! 8)

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:32 am
by Dr. Pete
Morning Catfish. I am building the same craft. Novice at boat design and the whole sport of fishing. I’m at the stage of taping in bulkheads. Next will be decking and placement of storage, bait, gear lockers. How do you plan to use your layout. I plan a center console on my XF. It’s design time if you would be so kind as to share your thoughts. I also have a 17 gallon Mueller tank to install. Thanks

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:29 pm
by CatfishHunter
I replied once to the post but i think my phone is messed up i may have hit the wrong button. the boat is intended to be used as a shallow water guide boat here in chassahowitzka. i'm rigging it with a tiller motor and jackplate right now. I also differed from the plans a bit and shortened the front and rear deck to give my clients a bit more room.(not sayiing anyone should do this lol) the gunwales are 8" finished and should be wide enough to walk on while casting for trout and reds. The trolling motor block up front was an afterthought to raise it up a bit and give me a mount plate to bolt too.

I'll have a single battery mounted in the rear for the motor and jackplate and 2 up front for the 24v trolling motor. 12 gal fuel tank sits on top of the tunnel. My livewell is up front to help with some of the weight from the fuel tank and rear battery. no electronics on the boat right now, simple and no wiring.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:47 am
by RiggsWNC
Been following your build on YouTube. Gonna be an awesome boat. You ever fish the mouth of the Suwannee? Did that a lot when younger and lived in Florida.

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:55 pm
by CatfishHunter
I got the jackplate mounted today... waiting to fabricate a washer plate for the inside before i glue and tighten everything down. She'll be on the water in the next few weeks. I also have my inspection planned for this week from FWC...
Never fished the Swanee but have fished every where form wiki wachi to yankeetown... I prefer Chass and Ozello, more rocks to hit and less people! :lol: I spent alot of time on the lower Roanoke and the pamlico and albermarlie sound fishing the creeks and rivers for trout and rockfish. I plan to drag this up there one spring.

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 pm
by CatfishHunter
She passed the inspection. FWC guy was super cool, took a a length measurment, glanced at my giant pile of recipets(i saved every one) and printed out my paper. I'll be on the water soon!

Capt. Sean R.

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm
by Jeff
Congrats Sean, Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:29 pm
by cape man
FWC is awesome on their boat inspections. Fast and pleasant. Congrats!

By the way...the Chassawhitzka cost me a pretty penny to repair the prop from a trip two weeks ago. Have fished there dozens of times for nearly 30 years with guys that live there and alone. It will bite you! The XF20 is the perfect boat for there, especially with a load of folks.

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:57 am
by OrangeQuest
Great news on passing the inspection! Getting excited to see pictures of the boat on the water!

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:44 am
by CatfishHunter
Capeman my grandad used to tell me about them rocks moving around out there lol he ran the river for 30 years and still managed to tag one every time he went out :lol: lol. I've only spun one prop on the river that's the extent of my damage, but i tend to take her easy compared to most.

I hit the tag office friday, titled and registered the boat, they really have no idea what the hell they are doing up there. the lady wanted to charge me sales tax on the entire list of materials for the boat. after some minor arguing and a 2nd trip up there I got everything squared away for $45. I went ahead and renewed my charter license while i was up there.

Thanks for stoping in everyone. I'm going to toss the old 2 stroke on the boat for now to test it out.I still dont have the funds to put the 4 stroke in the shop to get a complete service and tiller handle added to it.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:59 pm
by cape man
Yeah, the old timers always told me that those rocks move every night. 8) :lol:

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:32 pm
by CatfishHunter
I tossed the old 2 smoke on her and am currently trying to button everything up. She'll get wet sometime this week or weekend... I ordered my decals for my Fl registration numbers from a local friends company. hoping they get here quick as mr. green jeans has been in the area quite frequently...

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 pm
by Jeff
I look forward to her splash!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 pm
by Fuzz
I bet you can hardly wait to give her a try. It will be interesting to see how she runs with that motor.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:39 am
by Aripeka Angler
Nice looking build! I like the anchoring system, that’s very cool!
I’ve seen a bare bones Billy boat run pretty good with a 40.
Does the temporary motor’s propeller have some cup?

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:55 am
by Eric1
Man! You've done a fine job on that boat. She sure is pretty! I hope you get her wet very soon and may she serve you well! :D :D :D

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:56 am
by CatfishHunter
Thanks guys, the anchoring system is a chassahowitzka special, it allows me to drop the front anchor without running behind my clients. it will work until i can afford a couple minkota talons. I have a pile of props to try out, so finding one that will work shouldn't be hard. i had the same motor on my 24 foot wood on frame skiff and it would plane it to about 23 mph. 8)

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:33 am
by piperdown
Sweet looking boat! Can't wait to see her splashed and your thoughts on how she runs! :D

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:01 pm
by Explorer 19TV
Awesome job, love the color scheme.

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:29 pm
by cape man
All the guys I fished with there had a similar anchor. :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 pm
by CatfishHunter
I got the boat down to the river this morning for her first trip. It was foggy, cold, and the rain was just passing. The boat did great, the motor ran good but I could only get 15.5 knts out of the prop I had . it just wouldn't turn enough rpm's to really get going. I didn't try swapping any props out as it was just too nasty out. I couldn't be more happy with the build, it will be getting a larger motor in the very near future 8) . I also need to build some type of seat for the back deck when im running the tiller. my back is killing me lol. We had a great day on the water with my mom and my buddy. We got the boat slimed, and a few fish for diner...

Thanks everyone for all the help, and for sticking around for the build and all the awesome guys at BBC!

Capt Sean R.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:40 pm
by fallguy1000
Nice catch!

Sea trout, sheepshead, not sure on the rest... Gulf of Mexico Florida?

Fun day to launch and slime both. Gotta see if I can do that in a year.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:56 pm
by Fuzz
First trip and you are catching fish! That has got to feel good for many reasons.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:00 am
by cape man
Nice! Congrats! Never saw a permit there.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:59 am
by Eric1
Awesome Bro!! Pompano is my guess. :D

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:16 am
by OrangeQuest
Man, All that hard work and great paint job and the first time in the water you get it all slimmed up and dirty!! :lol: :lol: I guess it paid off. 8)

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:29 am
by fallguy1000
Is it a jack crevalle?

Whereabouts do u fish? Looked like real shallows.

I won't be on your spot. I went to Florida and fished like 8 hours and caught one lousy slimy, gross catfish.

I was fishing the brackish water of the Caloosahatchee and was really far from clearer gulf waters.

The last day I trolled a spoon like an hour in the wind and something slammed it really hard, but missed.

So I am mostly curious if you were closer or further from salt water, clear water, etc.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:44 am
by CatfishHunter
Thanks Everyone, I fish out of citrus county, Chassahowitzka mostly. The consensus at the bait house on the fish was a permit. we catch a couple runs of pompano and the occasional permit this time of year and then they are gone. Usually catch several out of one school. The boat was nasty, FWC has been doing controlled burns in the area along with the pollen it was dirty before it even got launched. :lol: i'll be spending the day cleaning it up 8)

The Chass river is a series of fresh water springs that dumps into the gulf, during these cold fronts the fish push towards the warm water springs in pile up in the deeper holes. most of the water we fish is 4-5ft deep and rocky. Here's a video of me cruising the river in my micro skiff...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_bd26oyWnI

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:29 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Great catch and launch photos!!
That’s a permit.

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:36 pm
by fallguy1000
CatfishHunter wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:44 am Thanks Everyone, I fish out of citrus county, Chassahowitzka mostly. The consensus at the bait house on the fish was a permit. we catch a couple runs of pompano and the occasional permit this time of year and then they are gone. Usually catch several out of one school. The boat was nasty, FWC has been doing controlled burns in the area along with the pollen it was dirty before it even got launched. :lol: i'll be spending the day cleaning it up 8)

The Chass river is a series of fresh water springs that dumps into the gulf, during these cold fronts the fish push towards the warm water springs in pile up in the deeper holes. most of the water we fish is 4-5ft deep and rocky. Here's a video of me cruising the river in my micro skiff...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_bd26oyWnI
Thanks. I like fishin and knowin how. Best of luck. I was in an area where trout, snook, and one other were not allowed to catch to red tide recovery...

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 am
by Jeff
Congrats!!! She looks great in the water!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:42 am
by piperdown
Congrats! Boat looks great!! :D

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:10 am
by cape man
I correct myself...I kept looking at the picture and doubting my first impression. What threw me off to start was the size, but I now believe that was a VERY nice pompano not a permit.

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:16 pm
by CatfishHunter
I thought it was a pompano too, they are so close. but when 81 year old uncle johny says its a permit you just nod and agree lol, he's been guiding the river out of the same boat for 30+ years. 8) :lol: not saying he's right just saying you don't disagree haha

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:37 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Count the spines in front of the dorsal fin. Also, note the spines in front of the anal fin as well as the fork of the tail. The permits body also forms a triangle under the dorsal fin. That’s my take on the id but I could be wrong...
I still believe it’s a permit. I bet it was tasty.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 am
by fallguy1000
cape man wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:10 am I correct myself...I kept looking at the picture and doubting my first impression. What threw me off to start was the size, but I now believe that was a VERY nice pompano not a permit.

Noob from Minnesota says the dorsal is more out than back. All I got.

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:04 am
by pee wee
It looks like a permit to me, blunter nose and that shape of the back plus color . .

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:17 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Any chance it’s neither pompano OR permit, but a jack? :doh:

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:58 pm
by CatfishHunter
definitely not a jack lol you won't see one of those in my fish box... :lol:

I'm 95% sure it was a pompano the only reason i said a permit was the color and size and my uncle john saying it was lol. but i caught 2 pomps the week before that had completely different colors that were 100% both pomps...

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:15 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Regardless, congrats on sliming the new rig!

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:21 pm
by cape man
Yeah..forget my academic plunge into "who cares"! Nice fish but AWESOME BUILD!

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 pm
by CatfishHunter
Second trip on the water this time i had a Powertech Stainless cupped prop and 4 people total in the boat. We went out at lunch and got enough fish for dinner. The motor with the prop will get 18 knts max. It still blows out on hard turns and needs some more power. i'll be going NEW motor shopping tomorrow... very impressed with the ride of the boat now if i can just get a little more speed lol 8) :lol:

On a side note i painted my water line just a touch low(almost exactly the water line really) and is almost impossible to see the black graphite while sitting in the water. Check out my youtube channel SevenCabbageFishing for a video of the boat ride...

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:19 am
by cape man
Beautiful boat, and I love the 7 palm cabbage name. I am lucky to know where that is on this planet, and even luckier to have been there. Bigger motor...yes!

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:22 am
by Jeff
Good catch!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am
by CatfishHunter
This should give it a little more go, Mercury 60 Big Tiller SeaPro Command Thrust...

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:25 pm
by Jeff
Yes, she will fly!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:33 pm
by cape man
Uh huh! That'll do it!

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:05 pm
by CatfishHunter
I got the Mercury 60 Seapro Big Tiller Big Foot mounted this afternoon. should be a perfect fit for the boat. i'm having some paint peeling off the boat in a few spots but i'd rather ignore that right now lol :doh: :lol:

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:03 pm
by cape man
Nice...very nice! 8) I may have to book you for a trip. I used to know that river and shoreline pretty well, but my last three trips had me puckered up all day. Dinging the prop the last trip confirmed my reason for concern...

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:57 am
by Jeff
Great motor, she is going to scream!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:22 am
by OrangeQuest
May have to catch fewer fish to keep from over loading the boat with that bigger motor! :) :)

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:40 pm
by CatfishHunter
I did the break in period for the new motor today, she runs like a top. caught some redfish, Life is good!

The 15 p powertech 4 blade is a little much and i need to down pitch about 2" to get the rest of my rpms i need. I heard you can have the prop guy do that so it shouldn't be an issue.

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:24 pm
by Jeff
Nice catch!!!! Congrats on the new motor!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:50 am
by CatfishHunter
We launched the boat Sunday in Chass and headed out to Black Rock which is about 12 miles south into hernando county. This was as far as i've ran the boat so far. It was very calm and the boat handled great in the slight chop, it does have a tendency to porpoise at higher speeds offshore. We stopped for some unsuccessful fishing attempts on a few rocks then headed back in to catch a few reds. The entire day I burnt 6 gals of fuel and have no more concerns about the capacity of my 12 gal tank. I'll usually run about half that far during a day with clients. Top speed loaded down was 25mph, but I haven't down pitched my prop yet or raised my motor like i intend to. Right now where the jack plate is sitting i can run it all the way up all the time with no cavitation, i'd like to see how it does a few inches higher :lol: 8)

My camera has been on the frits but here's a short video of the day before my gopro died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW2y3l9Gnzs&

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:02 am
by Jeff
Nice run CatfishHunter!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:25 pm
by CatfishHunter
Testing the new camera... Got a new toy to take pics of my trips with. nothing fancy but an upgrade from a broken one ;)

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:40 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Hell yeah, looks great.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:12 am
by Jeff
I agree with AA!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 am
by CatfishHunter
A little update on the "Miss Lilly", after taking the last few months off, I finally got the prop situation sorted out to where im happy with the performance. I probably tried 6 different ones before getting some the performance I was expecting. I went through every 3 and 4 blade prop i could find and after blowing about $1200, my buddy kieth gave me an old 3 blade SS Rapture he had for free. I'm now getting max 35 mph fully loaded at 5400 RPM wot with a little variation depending on chop and water depth.I lost a little hole shot when i ditched the 4 blade power tech. The Mercury Big tiller 60 is finally able to push the boat like it should. Been doing a little fishing and picking up guide trips where I can.

Thankful for all the help i've gotten on this forum and others i've met along the way during the building and testing process.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:12 am
by cape man
That boat is perfect for there!

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:17 am
by CatfishHunter
It's been a while since i visited the forum. I've had the boat on the water for about a year now. I had a pretty slow guide season this winter due to everything going on but Had a ton of time on the water. I'm finally getting comfortable with the boat. I made a few upgrades and added power trim and tilt to the motor and got rid of the manual gas assist. I also had to add another fixed jack plate to raise my motor up where it needed to be. I still think I could go a tad higher!!! I still haven't found the "perfect" prop yet. I'm currently running a 12p 4 blade with some added cupping and rake. I also had to move my anchor trolley system front mounting point forward about 2 feet because the boat wanted to spin when anchored. All and all i'm happy with the boat and it fishes 2 or 3 people plus me comfortably, its great for a guide trip or a day with the family. The boat is a little big to fish solo though and find myself wanting to build a smaller skiff for those 1 and 2 man days. A few pics

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:08 am
by VT_Jeff
CatfishHunter wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:17 am The boat is a little big to fish solo though and find myself wanting to build a smaller skiff for those 1 and 2 man days.
Awesome stuff! I'm interested to know what makes you wish for a smaller boat when alone, besides the obvious fact that you're a boat-building addict and looking for any excuse to build another boat. :lol:

The fact that you were getting 18kts out of that 40hp with 4 adult male humans on board gives me hope that my overbuilt FS14LS +10% will get on plane with my wife, my dog and myself with a 20hp.

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:36 am
by Jeff
Nice looking boat Catfish Hunter!! Great looking fishing as well!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:03 pm
by cape man
I have to find a way to meet you up there sometime with my OD18. I fished there with friends every year in the late 80s and 90s but the guy who had the house has left us. It is indeed God's country. Last time there (January 2020) cost me $250 for prop repair! In the marked channel, just outside the mouth.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:55 pm
by CatfishHunter
It's been a while since visiting the forum. The paint decided to fail over the past few years, I finally got all of it off the boat and recoated it with system three pennant primer and did a quick redo job with the kiwi grip. I haven't decided on what paint to go with yet but I've been running it like it is until i decide, I still want to do some fairing and do and make it look pretty at some point but until i get some time...

Posted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:28 pm
by cape man
Looking great! I thought you were going to sell it? Still want to hook up one day with my OD18 and follow you out. Love the Chaz but it's been mean to me...

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:29 pm
by CatfishHunter
cape man wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:28 pm Looking great! I thought you were going to sell it? Still want to hook up one day with my OD18 and follow you out. Love the Chaz but it's been mean to me...
I entertained the idea of selling it but after a few yahoos completely wasted my time and wanted to offer me chump change on it i decided to keep it. I'd rather let it sit in the side yard collecting dust then give it away to someone who doesn't appreciate the amount of work involved in one of these boats... :lol:

Chass isnt getting any easier to navigate, its bad enough with all the rocks and narrow ever changing channel, add 1000 kayakers, and new people to the river in a day, it can get hectic quick. I have to idle down the river until i hit the s turns before i plane out just to keep from running someone over, or having to jump off plane and hit a rock. :doh: But anytime your feeling froggy i'll be here in Chass.