Sk 14 SSI Ga

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sk 14 SSI Ga

Post by Jeff »

Edd, really nice looking build photos of your SK14!! Very clean!! Regarding your trailer question, reach out to SeaSlug as he set-up a trailer for his SK14 and it would appear the trailer was made around his SK!! Again, nice build!! Jeff

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

Thanks Jeff I'll do that. I've got an epoxy question. I did the glassing on the bottom yesterday. It's still a little tacky. Is it ok to go ahead and put the grafite epoxy mix on the bottom? Or should I wait until it cures and light sand? I know it's recommended working wet on wet, but didn't know if wet on tacky is ok.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Edd---I think you're ok with graphite on tacky epoxy so long as you're using the same epoxy in the graphite mix as the tacky stuff. Might make application odd though, sticking to the roller or something. Anyway, re the trailer, I used one from academy, a McClain that works very well. The bunks are spaced to line up with the stringers, but I forget what that measurement is.

Dougster

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

When applying the epoxy/graphite, the warmer it is the better it flows out.
Hank

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Edd,

It is going to warm up over the next couple of days. If you are able to wait, like Hank said try to do the graphite when it is warmer. It flows a lot better, levels out easier and gives you a better finish with less materials used. Looking good so far. Keep it up.

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

Ok thanks everybody for the advice. I made an enclosure with plastic drop cloth and pvc ( I will use the pvc for making a blind so it won't be wasted) . Yesterday I was able to keep it 60+ with a heater inside, but today it's too windy. I actually tried a earlier this week, but the wind was too much. I'll wait to continue until it warms up. I'll definitely wait until I have a garage or shop before I build another boat. Maybe building a workshop should be my next project...
Attachments
IMG_1813.JPG

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Edd,

You gotta be liking the warmer weather these last few days. It sure has been a cold winter on the Georgia Coast. Went sheephead fishing Saturday and nothing biting inshore. Decent numbers being caught at the nearshore reefs with good amounts of Black Sea bass too.

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

Browndog wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:11 am Edd,

You gotta be liking the warmer weather these last few days. It sure has been a cold winter on the Georgia Coast. Went sheephead fishing Saturday and nothing biting inshore. Decent numbers being caught at the nearshore reefs with good amounts of Black Sea bass too.
Thanks for the report. My fishing buddy has a new 23ft sportsman cc that we need to put to use. It's time for a test run though 👍🏻

I'm almost done. Just some sanding, painting, etc
Attachments
IMG_1886.JPG

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

Attachments
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks great to me. I'm looking forward to hearing how she runs with that motor.

Dougster