C19 Stretch and re-build - Launched!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 Stretch and re-build Progress Report...

Post by TomTom »

Thanks - that’s still not working for me using the imgur icon But I have worked out that I can adjust the image size as follows ... https://superuser.com/questions/1238552 ... mgur-image ....and before the images were too big to link as images ... so this should work now!

I wanted to be as close to the back as I safely could. With a big 150 HP I have had to make a little cut out for it to tilt fully up. I will put a gunwale across that’s wide enough to take 2 rod holders ...
Last edited by TomTom on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Nice work re-gaining more deck space. After the stretch, it pays to get the most out of it.

She's gonna fly...

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:12 pm
OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 pm Should ride like a Tolman Widebody. They are commonly stretched to 21' as well.
If it does that is a good thing. Living in Tolman's back yard there are a ton of them here. They have a darn good reparation :wink:
Does anyone know if the Tilman’s were a constant or variable deadrise design? I see the later ones also had chine flats.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Hey Tom! A little off topic, but do you have any pics of your fuel tank set up? I’m interested in where you routed the fill hose.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 pm Hey Tom! A little off topic, but do you have any pics of your fuel tank set up? I’m interested in where you routed the fill hose.
Hi Dan will post pics when my chase tubes are glued in, but we just use vertical plastic 25lt Jerry cans for fuel. They sit upright in the Center compartment under the console and two sit side by side. I can fit 8 sitting vertically under the console. There are no gas pumps on the water here so we buy all our fuel on land, so it makes sense just to carry the Jerry can onto the boat and don’t have to siphon/ transfer fuel anywhere. It also means you are unlikely to run out of fuel as you have to switch tanks a few times a day! And it makes weight and balance distribution easy. It’s a simple solution but it seems to work fine for us. I may try a Y fitting between two tanks so we don’t have to screw and unscrew the intake straw and move it to the next tank as often.

Here is a picture of one...

The fuel pipe goes in a chase tube all the way down the middle accessible compartments and then comes up through a pipe that is a few inches above floor height. Any water that gets into the chase tubes can be drained out because I have added a little plastic fitting that can be unscrewed if needs be.

Even if I did instal a permanent tank, I would have my filler cap at the console somewhere and not in the gunwale, then I wouldn’t have to run a chase tube through the stringers

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I asked for a fuel system pic, and I got it. Thanks!

I’ve been stuck on filling through the gunwale, but you got me off that. I’ve accepted that filling at the console is the best solution.

Short fill hose, no belly in the line, and easy to refuel while underway.

Thanks Tom. Back to the stretch!

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:45 pm I asked for a fuel system pic, and I got it. Thanks!

I’ve been stuck on filling through the gunwale, but you got me off that. I’ve accepted that filling at the console is the best solution.

Short fill hose, no belly in the line, and easy to refuel while underway.

Thanks Tom. Back to the stretch!
I’ve learnt - the long way round - that the simpler you can keep a boat the better. It will end up lighter and you will spend less time fixing things!

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Finally a bit of progress - some Jotun Penguard HB primer inside and out...

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

That's looking really good!
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

TomTom wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:17 pm
Does anyone know if the Tilman’s were a constant or variable deadrise design? I see the later ones also had chine flats.
Tolman skiffs have nearly an identical hull shape to the C series boats. About 45 deadrise at entry, 10 degrees at transom. Constant deadrise over the last half of the hull. I have the book, and it's a good read. Main difference to the C series is that the stern is not pinched at all. The C series have a slight pinch. Because of that they are often stretched. The C17 is almost identical to a widebody (except for the chine flats) and the C19 would probably be similar to a shorter jumbo.

The important point is that Tolman skiffs are often stretched to any arbitary length. It doesn't seem to affect the properties of them much.