C19 Stretch and re-build - Launched!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 Stretch and re-build - Engine on!

Post by TomTom »

cracked_ribs wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:23 am That boat is looking fantastic - really stoked to see the successful rebuild and stretch. I think you and I have similarly busy schedules so I am not checking in here quite as often now but this is one I am really chafing at the bit to see performance reports on once it's back in service.

Your description of the Ficht motors is what I would call "classic Evinrude." I love Evinrude stuff...but it's often like that: too clever by half. I love the E-tecs too, but they're the same way. Moments of brilliance...incredible power...managing to make 2-strokes efficient...genius on top of genius and then: hey the computer is getting really hot, any downsides to running salt water through it to cool it down? Not a one, go for it. Hey, how about fuel injectors that can't tolerate the tiniest deviation from spec without causing massive problems...should we include those but make them super expensive and require factory programming to switch them on so replacing even one is a giant pain in the ass? Yes, let's definitely do that.

I genuinely regret the loss of Evinrude outboards on the market, but man, they were the kings of the flawed masterpiece.
Fingers crossed she performs as I hope she will!

Quite a relief not having to make sure the old Evinrude starts after 4 years! Your description makes me laugh.

It was when I had 18 different warning codes to deal with and changing the battery of the boat and adjusting the crank position sensor cleared them all that I realised there was way too much randomness going on in there for me to cope with!

The engine once lifted itself out of the water whilst ildling about 40 feet from a massive humpback whale that was rolling around with it’s fin towering above us … and I had no option but to switch the engine off! Naturally being an Evinrude disconnecting and reconnecting the battery seemed to reboot the whole thing and we had a good laugh and never understood why it did that until this day. Maybe the engine just had a sense of humour!

I greatly admire the technology- but as you say - it’s just too complicated for its own good!

Indexing spark plugs … so if you have a 4 cylinder engine you need at least 6 plugs just to make sure 4 are oriented correctly! 🤦‍♂️

Anyhoo…

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I need pictures of it in the sun and on the water! You have done an amazing job.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Man TomTom what a great job. That Yamaha 150 should make her fly.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:39 am Man TomTom what a great job. That Yamaha 150 should make her fly.

Tom
Do we get a speed “guesstimate” out of you Tom?!! I sadly have no idea what she weighs!

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Amazing.!!!! You are a very talented man.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I am struggling to work out what gauge cable I need for a F150 4 stroke Yamaha - it’s about a 6 m run in each direction (conservatively) if I have the battery up under the console.

Should I be thinking of having a starter battery closer to the engine?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That would be ideal but likely impractical.

As to gauge, co sides going “up one” from recommendation of you can afford it. Ex: if math says 4 go 2. Thicker cables never hurt unless your chase tubes are too small or corner radius is to tight.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nxgvP0 ... sp=sharing

Chapter 8.

the length given here is for each cable. It later states that you can add ~ 4m in total length to the cables. (2m for +ve and 2m for -ve.) AWG 2. If your model is more recent things might be different but not that different I would think. Of course a bigger wire would have less voltage drop.

I snipped a couple of the sections.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-10 070721.png
Screenshot 2021-12-10 070304.png

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by APLJaK »

FWIW

In my CX19, I used 1/0 because I got a decent price on it. I placed both house and engine batteries under the passenger seat and ran the motor cable back to the port side, across in front of the motorwell and terminated in the starboard side compartment. The Yamaha (F115) engine cable then attach to a two post terminal block in this compartment. They are small - look to be about a #4-#6. 1/0 is definitely overkill. Somewhere I did the calculations and didn't need this heavy cable, but I figure this should be one less thing to worry about.

I also used the remaining 1/0 to feed the masterbus in my cuddy. This too is overkill, but I already had the cable. I also terminated here on a large 2 post terminal block and then stepped down with a smaller cable to feed my distribution panels. This cable was a bear to pull as I had a couple of sharp turns in the conduit. Cable lube is your friend!.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: ....AND I forgot to say. Wow, that thing is gorgeous. Nice job!

APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by APLJaK »

TomTom wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:31 am
TomW1 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:39 am Man TomTom what a great job. That Yamaha 150 should make her fly.

Tom
Do we get a speed “guesstimate” out of you Tom?!! I sadly have no idea what she weighs!
If it helps, my CX19, with a Yamaha F115 sitting on a single axle EZLoader came in at 1500kg. I figure about 300kg for the trailer? So right around 1200kg for the boat (with cuddy) and motor (170kg). The boat had minimal fuel onboard when I weighed it (perhaps 50L = 36kg).