C19 Stretch and re-build - Launched!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

C19 Stretch and re-build - Launched!!

Post by TomTom »

I am moving my C19 issues over here - and keeping my fingers crossed at this stage that it may become a "re-build" ...

I have managed to cut out the center console, the front locker and the motor well bulkhead, remove the floor and dig out all the foam and chase tubes.

She is one sorry looking mess at the moment.

I am waiting for a multi tool I have ordered (never knew about them till the other day) and am hoping I will be able to cut out the stringers and frames neatly - and possibly all in one - so that if they are sound, they can go right back in once I have redone the keel, chines and fabric.

They have come away from the hull on the Port side, but it seems most of the resin cured on the starboard side.

Once I have all frames and stringers out, I am hoping we can grind off that gooey mess and start again.

The hull is on its trailer and has been braced all round.

I am hoping most of the issues where resin not curing and not water ingress.

The plywood still seems sound from visually inspecting, but I am waiting for the moisture meter I ordered before I can really say anymore.

Here are some pics...

Last edited by TomTom on Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 - Major Structural Issues - Progress

Post by glossieblack »

TomTom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:22 pm I am moving my C19 issues over here - and keeping my fingers crossed at this stage that it may become a "re-build" ...
We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed. Well done on keeping your cool and finding a feasible way through.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

It would be wonderful if you are able to fix the issues and save the boat. You did such a nice job building it that it would be a crying shame if you have to scrape it.
As for cutting the stringers loose with the multi-tool it can be done. That is what I used on the boat I am rebuilding now. I only had to cut 18 inches or so out on four stringers. The multi-tool did a great job but it is not very fast and you have a lot of running feet to cut out. The blades are spendy and you will need to carbide tipped ones for this task. I know some narrow minded folks here :lol: do not care for multi-tools but mine has been a huge help at times. Depending on how fast it goes and your cost of blades you might find it more cost and time effective to just sacrifice the stringers. Only time will tell but best of luck either way you go.

cape man

Post by cape man »

You are a strong and brave man!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I don't know if you coated the ply with resin before you laid the glass down, or if you allowed the resin to soak through the glass to the plywood on the inside of the hull, but wouldn't the resin have coated and somewhat waterproofed the ply even if it never set up? Maybe raw resin or hardener mixes with water eventually, but maybe not . .

I'm an optimist, and I hope you can get that boat back on the water! Good thing you noticed a problem when you did, wouldn't do to have things go south out on the water.
Hank

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Good luck TomTom, I feel you man!
I love your boat to, so hope you get her back out there.
Justin

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

I am shedding a tear looking at that............

Good luck!!

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Ahh men that sucks, hope you got her up and running again fast

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

cape man wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:37 pm You are a strong and brave man!
I agree with that.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Good for you! Sorry you have to go through this but you are doing the rework the right way. :)