C19 Stretch and re-build - Launched!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 Stretch and re-build - a few more pics

Post by TomTom »

Thank you all for the kind remarks. She is not without her imperfections. And truth be told building from scratch may well have been faster/ easier. But I have enjoyed the process and I am curious how differently she will behave with the added length. There is nothing for free in boating - that is for sure!

One day when this covid nonsense is behind us I would love to come to a bateau meet and take a ride in some of the other great designs I have scratched my head over all these years!

I still can’t help think that the PG 25 would have ticked all the boxes I was looking for in a boat.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Engine on now. Hoping to get it connected by end of the week. Need to replace the eyelets on the canvas for the T top and connect bilge pump and do some small wiring. Feels like we are on the final straight!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: C19 Stretch and re-build - Engine on!

Post by cape man »

Is that all mahogany?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Last edited by TomTom on Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

cape man wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:16 pm Is that all mahogany?
Yup

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Excellent taste in outboards! :D

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

BarraMan wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:26 pm Excellent taste in outboards! :D
I had a FICHT Ram 90 HP on her before. Picked up 2 that were sitting in a store in a hotel that had run them for a while on their boats (in freshwater). The boat drivers had said they were awesome and quiet; burnt very little fuel but no one in the country could maintain them. They had less than 300 hrs and I got them both for 750 bucks. By subbing parts around I got the one working and then I bought the spares for the other and found some diagnostic software on eBay. But always had a love-hate relationship with that engine. I thought it was amazingly clever technology - but almost too clever for the “computing technology” that ran it. They were so sensitive to voltage changes. If we had had a dealer nearby I may have felt different - but when this yammi came up for sale on a friends ski boat I jumped at the chance. It’s got 99 hrs on it.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

That boat is looking fantastic - really stoked to see the successful rebuild and stretch. I think you and I have similarly busy schedules so I am not checking in here quite as often now but this is one I am really chafing at the bit to see performance reports on once it's back in service.

Your description of the Ficht motors is what I would call "classic Evinrude." I love Evinrude stuff...but it's often like that: too clever by half. I love the E-tecs too, but they're the same way. Moments of brilliance...incredible power...managing to make 2-strokes efficient...genius on top of genius and then: hey the computer is getting really hot, any downsides to running salt water through it to cool it down? Not a one, go for it. Hey, how about fuel injectors that can't tolerate the tiniest deviation from spec without causing massive problems...should we include those but make them super expensive and require factory programming to switch them on so replacing even one is a giant pain in the ass? Yes, let's definitely do that.

I genuinely regret the loss of Evinrude outboards on the market, but man, they were the kings of the flawed masterpiece.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Agreed, CR. This was a truly inspiring project to follow: take a boat that you spent a few years building, which then had some very serious issues due to material problems, and instead of scrapping and starting fresh, you salvage, re-build, improve, refine and re-finish it into something better and beautiful. Hats off, amazing work!
cracked_ribs wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:23 am ...the kings of the flawed masterpiece.
This perfectly describes the exhaust system on my MB diesel sprinter.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie