MF14 - Minnesota

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: MF14 - Minnesota

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good work.

I don't think your nonslip idea is wise.

I would recommend you use kiwi grip on the sole or something. The trouble with trying to use a light fabric weave is you WILL quickly wear through the paint and then be damaging epoxy and glass.

I thought I could avoid varnish and now I have to sand and re-epoxy my canoe inside. Glass patch if it is coming up...

Fill the weave or use kiwigrip. You won't know to thank me unles you don't.

...Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

walkabout_slp
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by walkabout_slp »

Thanks for the warning.
I might just fill the weave then and skip a nonslip paint as I am not buying a can for a 2'x3' area. If it proves to be too slippery I can add something next year. Since I will be sitting and not standing it is also less of an issue.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

That looks great, Walkabout.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Could always cut and place a yoga mat down. Would make sitting more comfortable and very light weight. Could stack two pieces for where the butt print winds up.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Rather than buying KiwiGrip you could just use a non slip additive . . or sand . . or salt . . you've got options. :)
Hank

walkabout_slp
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by walkabout_slp »

Been a while, but I have :
1. sanded, sanded, sanded
2. filled, sanded
3. Primed, sanded, filled (amazing how many defects you find after a coat of primer)
4. Put first coat of paint on.

Leasons learned:
Sanding:
Tedious. Can overdo-it and have to patch with epoxy. A mask is a must.
I also have a ceiling mounted air filtration system which helped keep the dust clouds down.

Primer/Paint selection:
I read so much about paints and still feel I don't know much. I watched so many videos that it really was 2nd nature when I actually had to do it.
I ended up going with Pettit EZ-Prime and Pettit EZ-Poxy from a local boat store and so far I am very happy.
These are expensive and it was difficult for me to buy. It was worse when I had to get another can of primer as one quart was not enough. Then I was going to use a generic thinner (much cheaper), but saw too many people give advice that you don't want to chance it and be cheap when finishing and possibly have the paint not work with the non-paint company thinner.
You can the same paints online cheaper than I could locally, but the shipping (to middle america) and other fees (hazmat handling fees) only make it marginally cheaper than locally.
I rolled and tipped the paint thinned by the recommended 10%.

Here are some photos:
After primer.

Glue up of the dagger board

First coat of paint.
If the 2nd coat goes on as well as the 1st, it will look amazing.
Last edited by walkabout_slp on Sun May 19, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Wow! That looks great. Well done.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I used that same Pettit paint on my boat I used a foam roller to apply it there are some tricks to using it I did my boat in small sections I found it worked good but once it started to get takie you need to stop rolling it or it ends up rough if you stop at the right time and let it settel it comes out well i have re painted the boat 3 times now and it still looks good it is hard to sand but you can get through it with some work

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Paint looks great!!! Jeff

walkabout_slp
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by walkabout_slp »

das boot,
You have any suggestions on sanding Pettit Ez-poxy?
How did you prevent runs on vertical surfaces?

I will be applying a 2nd coat tonight after sanding.
On the flat surfaces it dried great. I painted the bottom of the boat and about a roller width down the side only.
On the sides of the boat I have slight runs and will need to do a little more sanding.
Since I have to flip the boat to paint the deck side I will have plenty of time to correct the runs.