FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the update OQ. You're a busy guy at the moment, so boat building takes a hit. Before you know it, you'll be able to spend more time on her again. Hang in there. She's going to be a beaut! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good to hear from you OQ!!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Pretty quiet Ken.

Checking in to see how things are.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

So, my build has taken a back seat, way in the back, back seat due to covid restrictions, losing employees, weather- but it all has been taking a toll on the company I manage. To the point I wonder if I will get my next check every week, toll. The weather here has being rain one day and dry the next and the flood gates open and close to the weather, for the last 3 months. They have had a sizable amount of water held back but it has been slowly draining from the two reservoirs to the point that Sunday and early Monday they became empty. Being closed for 3 months with no income hurts any small business and we are now as small as can be and we ran out of belt to cut anymore notches to tighten the belt up any more a few weeks ago.

We, hopefully will open this weekend to do business and start paying bills again. Our big money maker park, that has not had us out since covid broke out, called today wanting us to start coming back out. The bayou is clear and at the right flow levels, the park wants us back. Only problem is, I am the only employee left that know how everything works. I hired 3 today, will see them first time Saturday. I have a single weekend to train 3 new employees, to work at one venue and then next weekend train 3 more new employees to work the park. I am the only driver, cashier, dock hand and boat loader.

Put the battery back into our second vehicle that has set for 3 months and no brakes! Oh, I am the mechanic too.

Since we are going to open back up at the park in a few weeks a local news channel wants an interview with a few kayaks paddling around the little lake in the park. That is tomorrow! Right now I am drinking a beer and hoping all this is just a bad dream. Oh, the park called back and wants our R/C sailboats back out too! :?

So, the heavy layers of dust on the boat will have to wait even longer. I have all the wood, glass, epoxy, electronic, steering and shift/throttle cables, Steering Wheel..only need two tints of hull/deck paint. I even have the seats and the locking swivel seat mounts! Oh, I may need more wire too.
Oh yeah, the hold up has been the motor..need that so I can run the cables.

This is with the hardware setting where they may go and the new hatches.
Older pic of winter before covid
Nice part is the inside hull is sealed so a quick pressure wash will knock off all the dust
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Well it sounds like an overwhelming lot all at once, but money flowing is a good thing. I hope reopening goes smoothly for you and sticks around for all your new guys to become seasoned pros giving you the chance to dabble in epoxy again.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Yes sir the world has been a mess for lots of folks and it does not seem to be getting much better. I hope you are able to get things back in order and come out of this ok.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

OQ, I hope this get much improved for you right away!! Also, good luck with the new employees!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OQ good luck with the start up, hope all goes well and business picks up from here on. This Delta strain really is scaring me that we are going me backwards, hopefully not.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks guys! I also hope all goes well for us. This job is kind of my retirement from the big city and the whole rat race thing.

Jeff, the hard part is just getting them to show up. Since we missed out on all our school event stuff we don't get to many young people that are driven. They are comfortable just living at home or collecting unemployment. But from what I understand, talking to other small business owners in the area, it's hard finding anyone that wants to earn their money. I have had over 50 applicants in a week and asked them all to call for an interview, maybe 9 have called and all of them I hired. Then all they need to do is text me their name and when they can work after the hang up...5 have done that.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

OQ, yes, every single business in our industrial park has help wanted signs in the yards and on their buildings!! Crazy time right now!! Jeff