FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by Fuzz »

Needs more sanding :doh: Here I was thinking "dang that bottom is smooth" :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:25 pm Needs more sanding :doh: Here I was thinking "dang that bottom is smooth" :D
Yeah, a lot of builders go for that workboat finish and then some the yacht finish, mine is snap pictures while it's still wet finish! Amazing how water hides so much! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Our parking lot has the sun block by a new 3 story home till about 10:30 or so. I try to push the boat out into the parking lot and get what I can done to her before I lose that shade. I had a late start, Pettit 2-part primer needs 15 minutes to "relax" after mixing before you can apply it. Rubber gloves on, long pant and long sleeves I was roasting and melting at the same time. Sweat dripping everywhere, so shed the shirt and gloves. Tilt the hand just right and water poured out the gloves. Anyway, got the first coat on and pushed the boat back into the warehouse so it can cure the rest of the day.

The directions say that one coat is good for a primer coat and two coats are a good barrier coat, so will sand and add second coat next week. Not a big fan of this kind of primer/paint, so top side wide get standard Pettit primer with top side paint. Would really like to have a small hint of blue in the topside paint. May order a quart of light blue just to add it to the semi-gloss white I already have.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I want to sand. It is raining, a drizzle. But I have the sanding bug and there is not enough room to sand the sides and transom inside the warehouse. Thinking of putting on swim trunks and wet sanding in the rain. I will see what tomorrow brings, forecast more rain but forecasts have yet to be right this year.

Ordered the final number of Flow-rite fittings and hose, 1-1/8" overflow hose and fittings. I know that this is the best way to have a reliable overflow but man it bites at the pocketbook $$$.
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Go to the hardware store and get some wet sandpaper. It will let you sand in the drizzle. Looks like you are in for some major rain though from that storm in the Gulf in the next couple of days. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45 pm Go to the hardware store and get some wet sandpaper. It will let you sand in the drizzle. Looks like you are in for some major rain though from that storm in the Gulf in the next couple of days. Tom
Thanks Tom.

Almost all my sandpaper for my sanding blocks is wet/dry paper and I cut it to fit my blocks. From 80 grit to 1200 grit, I have a selection. 80, 100,150 and 220 I have the most of and have been using those grits the most often. Only my power tools use non-wet/dry paper and I buy them in the shape of the tools or belts.
A drizzle is not enough to keep the surface rinsed of dust, but I can bucket sand it like I do when the hull is in the warehouse. Temps were in the lower 80s and that is just a little to uncomfortable for this Texan, that's winter temps! :?

We have had these low-pressure systems forming the last few weeks, ruining the weekends, and our business, even though not renting kayaks I get a lot of calls wanting to know why we are not renting in the thunder and lightning but otherwise not raining. Phone has to stay somewhere dry; I have to stop and dry my hands to answer it. Call lasts only a few seconds but it's often enough to be annoying. I am stuck doing little jobs, indoors, and keeping my hands clean. Easy way to do that is on the computer playing video games I can pause, even that gets annoying.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Sanding, sanding and more sanding. The directions for my primer is you don't need to thin the two-part epoxy primer but this stuff is thick and I thought the first coat was the 1/4" nap roller I was using but the second coat is orange peel and I think the stuff is just going on to thick! I am happy is sands easy enough. But the next coat I am thinning it out and see what happens.

On another note: the Flow-rite fitting and hose came in today. While I am sanding the orange peel back I can drill and epoxy the hole for the overflow drain. Had to get the fitting in hand to see the OD for the hole. The first time I ordered from Flow-rite, they had a spec PDF that I could see all the dimensions for all their fittings. I was to lazy to look through all my files to find them because I don't remember them having 1-1/8" fittings back then.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Some of you that have stated you enjoyed sanding I can start to relate as to how it is a little satisfying...some what. Start sanding a really rough area, it starts to become smooth, you move a little from that spot and you sand more, it becomes smooth and so on. But then you clean up the sanded areas and you are not quiet happy with the results so more sanding with less grit and then more sanding, more cleaning. I am getting down to 320 grit and starting to like my results.

To keep the dust down I have been wet sanding and the sandpaper lasts a lot longer and doesn't clog as easy. To keep from using a ton of water, I am using a bucket and big sponge. I soak the sponge and just lay it at the top of where I am sanding, water drains out of it at a nice stream. Two days and I have half the hull and 3/4 of one side. Other half of hull looks better than before I started.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

After wet sanding and then washing with soapy water and rinse.

Close up of sanding thru primer.

After white high build primer, so much easier to use! And looks like a lot less sanding for next coat.

So I only had a little left of a quart of the high build primer but will be ordering a gallon to finish off the rest of the boat. And getting 3/16th nap rollers.
Due to the two part epoxy primer already on the hull, there will be only one more coat of high build before the boat gets the top coat.
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OQ if it was me I would put two layers of high build primer on at least the areas sanded down to bare wood. The places you are having trouble with are high spots that you did not get enough fairing built up to. Good luck. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978