FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:49 pm
Be very careful with the sanding after only 2 coats you can easily be back through to the fiberglass. :lol: On a bigger boat this is where I would suggest you apply a guide coat and lightly sand to show the lows and the highs to further smooth the bottom. Tom
At this point in the painting job, I do not want to mix any other chemicals that are not Petitt brand made for the primer or the paint I am going to use. Right now I am feeling for areas I feel sand/dust and paint roller dimples on the surface, it is still just a rough surface. I am starting with a few strokes of 120 grit with my 10" board, then 220 grit on my 8" board and finishing with 320 grit in my 6" palm board. All being done by hand. The 220 and the 320 take a few more strokes but I like the way it feels afterwards. It is a very slow process of sanding a few strokes, brush off dust from the hull, wipe dust build up on the sandpaper and feel for the smoothness. I have done one half of the bottom and 1/4 of the side in this manner and only a very few places can you start to see the gray color of the two-part epoxy primer below. What I am after is a smooth surface to put the top side paint on.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Sanding is done for today and a final wash down to remove any sanding dust. I will inspect in the morning and see if I need more primer, more sanding or I am ready for topside paint. Took my 2 quarts of topside into Home Depot today and had them put them on their shaker.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

This is left over from the two part primer. I sanded this where I can't feel it anymore but wash all the dust off and there are still all these craters. High build primer hasn't filled them in.

This feels really smooth and think it is ready for topside.
Not a painter and this is very frustrating.
Can't paint today so will come back around to it Monday.

EDIT: As the evening started to cool down, I went back and started using the "mouse" detail sander I have. Little 18V corner sander that I picked up by Ryobi that uses all the battery packs I have. It did knock down a lot of those dimples and a little hand sanding with 220 grit and it smooths things out nicely. Will not know for sure till I wash all the dust off. If I ever get satisfied with the primer finish, I may try the top side paint...someday.

What a pain. :|
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Smooth is overrated, sanding is overrated, and more sanding is overrated. Getting the hull ready for painting is WAY OVERRATED!
Prepping the hull is not for me, I am not enjoying it and I really have to push myself to keep going. I have even tried looking at the finish of the primer without my reader glasses and I see to much or I think I see to much and have to confirm what I am seeing by getting my glasses. I feel like one side from centerline to rub rail is ready and can start on the other side in the morning.

What sucks is it is the bottom of the boat, no one will see the bottom of the boat! but it becomes the sides of the boat and can't get the sides smooth without getting the bottom smooth too. Just can't seem to let it go.

I have a portable, rechargeable shop light I hold to the edge of the hull and all the shadows look like the shots of the surface of the moon. At what point is smooth, smooth enough to add top side paint to get a smooth finish that looks wet still?
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Go back to 80g and make it “ok but rough”. Prime it again. Use 120 this time. Prime. Use 220.

If you’re rolling use a tighter foam or smaller nap. You can try thinning a bit but then you’ll have to deal with more coats.

That’s what I’ve had to do anyway.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:13 pm Go back to 80g and make it “ok but rough”. Prime it again. Use 120 this time. Prime. Use 220.

If you’re rolling use a tighter foam or smaller nap. You can try thinning a bit but then you’ll have to deal with more coats.

That’s what I’ve had to do anyway.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestions. I am rolling with a 1/4" nap roller, did not like the results of a foam roller and changed out after a few strokes. After today it may get another coat, or two, of primer and use even thinner paint so it lays down smoother.
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

One of the special stores (I think it’s sherwin) has a 1/8” nap. I think it’s called a “furniture finish” or “cabinet finish” roller. Might be easier to find online if you can wait for shipping.

I can paint for fecal matter. Using this ridiculous rollers makes it much easier to get to a nice end product.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:06 am One of the special stores (I think it’s sherwin) has a 1/8” nap. I think it’s called a “furniture finish” or “cabinet finish” roller. Might be easier to find online if you can wait for shipping.

I can paint for fecal matter. Using this ridiculous rollers makes it much easier to get to a nice end product.
The paint supply store I was going to order more 3/16th" roller from has the 1/8" rollers too. Thank you for that advice.

But, since I have now finished the sanding smooth of the hull and sides, it is dimple free. I did sand through the white high build primer down to the gray epoxy primer I first started using in a few spots but not down to the neat epoxy. I think it is ready for a thinner solvent scrub and paint!!

I may try a few coats of the top coat with the 3/16th rollers I have now and if needed will order the 1/8" rollers. Since I will be back to sanding again.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Well, as is normal for me, and tossed common sense out the window. I rolled the hull out into the parking lot and put the first coat of topside paint on by 9 this morning. Just finished the second coat. Having to add a extra amount of thinner so I can keep a wet edge to tip. Second coat I put on inside the warehouse with the doors open, lights on in the bow area so I could see and big fan moving some air. Could roll more than 2 foot without having to come back and tip. At time if I took to long it would start to get a little tacky. With it going on so thin, I will need a few more coats but will need to wait till it cools off a little.

One thing for sure, that paint will get baked on to the hull with these temps.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Cannot believe my paint job looks pretty good! I have some sanding to do and maybe one more coat, but it is smooth. Then breakout the fine sandpaper and the rubbing compound! :(
A. A. Milne