FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by TomW1 »

OQ do you have a trolling motor if so, you will not have a problem with your main motor as you will just tip it up when you get to your fishing spots. You can get transom mounts that will tip up if it hits anything. A side view sonar works better as a transom mount than a hull mount also. I also do not like holes in my hull unless very, very necessary. Good luck on your decision. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:25 pm OQ do you have a trolling motor if so, you will not have a problem with your main motor as you will just tip it up when you get to your fishing spots. You can get transom mounts that will tip up if it hits anything. A side view sonar works better as a transom mount than a hull mount also. I also do not like holes in my hull unless very, very necessary. Good luck on your decision. :D

Tom
Thanks for the input, Tom. We will not have a trolling motor so the outboard will be used for trolling speeds. My documentation that came with the unit says the side view works best between 3 and 5 mph and the clear view can work between 25 to 30 mph planning speeds. At the 3 to 5 mph speed, you can use both systems and get 3D images of what is under the hull. That is if there is nothing in the beam's path. It is a EchoMap SV 74U. I have used a Echo S/map for many years in my kayak and then in our canoe and as far as I know, it still works great. Hasn't been used since the start of Covid.

Since we have a transom mounted transducer on our canoe, it is always being adjusted due to bumping into things, workers grabbing it thinking it is something that can be grabbed, hitting the bank launching and recovering, so not a big fan of the transom mount and holes will need to be drilled in the transom, below the water to mount the bracket.

The method I will use to mount the transducer to the bottom of the hull will require no holes in the hull, the skeg will be its first line of defense against getting hit. And I would be more concerned with the lower unit taking a hit than the transducer hiding behind the skeg.

The transducer would be mounted on a piece of 9MM marine plywood, the skeg will be cut away at the back and the transducer/plywood assembly would be glued in its place, so the transducer will not be any closer to the transom than the skeg was. The plywood would be slotted so the cable could run to the transom and up like it was mounted to the transom.

Only downside I see is the squareness of the back of the transducer and slightly wider than the skeg itself. I can glue a teardrop shaped attachment to the back of the transducer, and it would smooth out any excessive turbulence to the outboard.

Anyway, I didn't have much to do today, so I cut out the 9MM plywood and made the mount for the hull. A little sanding and it will be ready for neat epoxy to seal it up. If mounted the transducer sets 1/16th" to 1/8th" lower than the skeg and only sticks out less than an 1/4" on the sides of it. I think I won the debate with myself!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

This is the transducer, on the plywood mount (before sanding and making look pretty) and placed beside the skeg and you can see how it just fits below the skeg. The cable is in a slot under the plywood base. The base extends to the edge of the transom and after transducer is mounted to the base, the base will be epoxied to the hull.

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Since I won the debate and we are going with the under-hull mount, I cut the skeg back and sanded the hull flat just wide enough for the plywood mount piece to glue flat. Where the transducer is rounded, I will fill in the gap with epoxy putty off the skeg once the transducer is mounted and glued in. It will be the same putty used for the fillets around the plywood base.

Two-part epoxy barrier primer has been order, epoxy thinner and topcoat paint. I already have brush thinner so just waiting for UPS to drop off. Meanwhile, I will drill the hole for the overflow drain and the transducer cable.

Question, once the hull has been painted, can I park the hull out in the sun for a few hours and would that help bake the paint for a faster and harder cure?
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

With the temps we are dealing with inside in the south I'd just leave it protected from the weather! :help:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OQ how far from the transducer did you cut off the skeg, you need about 18" to have clean water to form back for the transducer to work properly at higher speeds. Hope everything works out for you well. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:44 pm OQ how far from the transducer did you cut off the skeg, you need about 18" to have clean water to form back for the transducer to work properly at higher speeds. Hope everything works out for you well. Tom
If you look closely to the picture above, it is where the transducer will be mounted in relationship to the skeg. The front of the transducer will butt against the back of the skeg where there will be nothing but smooth flowing water. Then the back of the transducer ends where the skeg ended. Because the squared back of the transducer, it could cause some turbulence, an air pocket, for the lower unit but is very doubtful it will affect water pick up or the prop biting.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bird's eye view of wood base and up near the tape roll, the removed part of the skeg.
Side view of base and transducer. That area in front of transducer will get a fillet that mates the skeg and transducer to streamline water flow.
The cable and transducer mounting screws, will be embedded with silicone for easy removal if the transducer needs removing in the future. The transducer must be mounted first then the base epoxied to hull. Multi-tool blade can easily cut the baseplate off with damage to the cable or mounting screws. Hope it never needs to be done.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The transducer has been mounted, faired, sanded, more sanding and more sanding.

I then pushed the whole boat out into the parking lot while the sun was still blocked by the newly built houses blocking the sun rays. Gave it a quick rinse off, then a soap and water scrub with a brush, then with a sponge and then with a scrubbing pad. Pushed it into the sun rays and watched the water dry off.

Later in the day the epoxy primer and topside paint came in. Plan is to prime the hull all the way up/down to the rub rails but first watch a few videos of how to roll and tip. Will be the first time for me to paint in this fashion.
Pictures of hull basking in the sun.

You can see from one image to the next how fast the hull was drying.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Push boat back out into sunlight for final inspection. Found a spot that needed more sanding, then another, then another. Sanding seems to be addictive!

So, a few more hours of sanding then a soap bath with scrubbing pad again. No painting today.
A. A. Milne