FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

It has been forever since I posted any updates on my build, only reason is lack of the outboard. I need to know where to cut holes for routing the engine controls, then I can work on building and mounting the console and finish routing electrical.

Company has been eating beans and rice when we can afford that and even though the last few years have been a hard struggle, we can see a dim light at the end of the tunnel. First time in forever I have all teenage girl crews. They work harder than the teenage guys I have had and are a lot more fun to work with. With our hot summer coming up I am fighting them on allowing them to wear bikini tops. Part of me says ok but part of me, the father part, says it will draw the wrong attention. I gave in to halt tops. I took them all for pizza after a really good Memorial weekend. They are teenage girls and even though it was mid to high 90s there was no whining like I get with the guys!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OQ really good to hear from you, May you have a really good summer.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Glad to hear that on balance things are looking up. Hope you can now move forward on your bespoke build.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The motor was in stock and has been ordered and paid in full! Waiting on FedEx
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good to hear from you OQ!! Congrats on the motor!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:47 pm The motor was in stock and has been ordered and paid in full! Waiting on FedEx
Great news! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

glossieblack wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:28 am
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:47 pm The motor was in stock and has been ordered and paid in full! Waiting on FedEx
Great news! :D
I now feel the same as a young kid waiting on Christmas Eve to be over with and being able to open the Christmas presents! FedEx has a delivery date of Wed June the 8th!

What is the shelf life of a few sheets of marine ply that has been in dry storage for a few years?
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Marine ply in dry storage will last forever. I deally it should be layed flat so as not to take a permanent curve in it from standig on edge and leaning against a wall.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:37 pm Marine ply in dry storage will last forever. I deally it should be layed flat so as not to take a permanent curve in it from standig on edge and leaning against a wall.

Tom

It was more of a statement of how long I have bought everything, and it just been sitting around collecting dust. I have 2 sheets of marine grade (6mm and 9mm) I bought a few years ago to finish the built. I still need to make the console and seat stands. My plywood holder does lean to take advantage of the vertical space of our warehouse but the plywood itself is flat against it. Even the cheap stuff I bring from the furniture warehouse will not warp.

I do need to take out all the junk that has been tossed in it over the years and give the hull a good cleaning.
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That is good OQ. If it has grayed and is dirty, first give it a light wash down and then after it drys thouroly a light sand to open up its pores. It will be as good as new. You can wait to do the sand till you have the peices cut so you are not working on a full sheet.

Tom