FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:20 pm OQ if it was me I would put two layers of high build primer on at least the areas sanded down to bare wood. The places you are having trouble with are high spots that you did not get enough fairing built up to. Good luck. Tom
Yes, that is exactly what I am going to do. Just have to wait for next month's budget to get more high build. Half the price for a quart that I can buy a gallon for so even if I don't use it all I am getting a gallon and the 3/16" nap rollers.

I was expecting the 2-part epoxy to lay smooth like the marine epoxy does using the 1/4" nap rollers, but it does not, and it doesn't fill like the high build does...All I can say is WTH?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

My gallon of Pettit high build primer came in yesterday and just waiting for the sun to warm the warehouse up a little. Seems today is going to be a nice day to paint! 68 deg. this morning, this time of year and being in Houston, that's winter temps! Only thing I don't like is the 79% humidity. The hull has been prepped for the primer now for over a week or so, but I wiped it all down yesterday with non-drinking alcohol. Will do a wipe down with petitt brush thinner this morning before rolling the primer on. Want to try and get two coats on before noon and the warehouse starts really heating up. I am very excited to get this far but just want to get the hull painted and flipped back over.

My next, and hope the last major order, will be a set of bunk brackets, bunk carpet, transom saver, and transom tiedowns. I want to have a slightly blue tint to the deck paint so may need to order a quart of light blue to mix with the white.

The extra bunks are going to mount closer to the skeg, so it protects the bow from making contact with the trailer and to provide a more self-centering approach. Then I can move the outer bunks more outward to support the hull when climbing in on the sides and the boat is trailered.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Two coats of high builder primer.

It's not that my painting skills have improved, my taking picture skills have.

What you can't see is the two gnats, a pair of Fudge bugs and a bee that got stuck in the paint. Plan on doing a little light sanding in the morning and see if I am ready for the top side paint.
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks good OQ!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Taking pictures from the right angle is one of the most important skills a forum member can have :lol:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks Jeff!

Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:59 pm Taking pictures from the right angle is one of the most important skills a forum member can have :lol:
I have been learning from the pros on here! :lol: :lol:
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looks ready for paint from here OQ. Well done!! Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:22 pm Looks ready for paint from here OQ. Well done!! Tom
Thanks TomW. After the primer dried, I pushed it out in the sun and baked it a little. Then a little sanding and it's not taking too much. But after seeing Cape Man's sanding pictures, I think it needs more sanding. I have been practicing the one finger sanding technique on a few spots today. Some things you just can't un-see.
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:47 pm Some things you just can't un-see.
And that is why God created rum right after Adam. “I wasn’t expecting him to find that until Eve was around… Damn my eternal memory! How do we scrub that? I have an idea!! Let there be RUUMMMM!”
Last edited by Jaysen on Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:47 pm
TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:22 pm Looks ready for paint from here OQ. Well done!! Tom
Thanks TomW. After the primer dried, I pushed it out in the sun and baked it a little. Then a little sanding and it's not taking too much. But after seeing Cape Man's sanding pictures, I think it needs more sanding. I have been practicing the one finger sanding technique on a few spots today. Some things you just can't un-see.
Be very careful with the sanding after only 2 coats you can easily be back through to the fiberglass. :lol: On a bigger boat this is where I would suggest you apply a guide coat and lightly sand to show the lows and the highs to further smooth the bottom. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978