FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by TomW1 »

Why the :( face OQ you almost have it and unless you have runs or other big anomalies no more sanding just rubbing compound if you even need that. I will leave that up to you a lot depends on the paint you used. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:11 pm Why the :( face OQ you almost have it and unless you have runs or other big anomalies no more sanding just rubbing compound if you even need that. I will leave that up to you a lot depends on the paint you used. Tom
One more coat is needed, and even though some may enjoy sweating so much you can't see the hull due to a stream of sweat pouring off the forehead and can't wear gloves due to sweat pouring out of them and risk a stream hitting the paint. And at the same time, you are trying to wipe sweat from your face with a CLEAN paper towel you have to keep rolling and tipping on a disappearing wet edge that anything more than 24" and you lose that edge. Stop to wipe your face and the wet edge starts to get tacky. Then you notice a few bugs are looking for a nice white surface to land on.

The paint is from the recycle center that I was able to pick up 2 gallons of purple latex interior house paint for $2.00. Only had a few lumps in it. Even though it is more expensive than I normally use I figured I should use the best. Since the paint is what makes for a good finish and not the method.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Well, enough drying for a 4th coat.

Keep in mind it is semi-gloss and still needs a very light sanding and some compounding. But I am happy to this point. As long as it all stays on.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks good OQ!!! Nice work!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jeff wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:04 pm Looks good OQ!!! Nice work!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

It has been a long road to get her this far and that road had a lot of potholes! :lol:

Now for the harder part, the top side.
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Almost there OQ!!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looks great!!
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks guys! I had a few beers (3) last night to celebrate getting the boat to this point.

Today I will spend the morning getting her flipped back over and on her trailer. So happy I can finally start to mount things to her, to stay!

EDIT: I will add one thing. I spent a lot more money on paint brushes and roller sleeves to get the very best finish I could get with my budget. My last coat I ran out of the sleeves and brushes for lack of enough thinner. So, I used my 1/4 nap 6" rollers that I am stocked up on and a cheap foam brush that is fairly soft for tipping. I could not believe I got the same, if not a little better, results with the cheaper stuff. Still need to lite sand bugs and lint from the finish but the end results are the same. Some of you may get a lot better results with deeper pockets but for a poor man this method worked great.
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice steady progress. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).