Hand held drum sander?

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Hand held drum sander?

Post by Capt UB »

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

I seen that picture but that is not so portable. And if you use a longer bolt then you could put a inline skate wheel (a handle) on the drum end to help apply pressure and better control of the angle. OR...

If you use 5/16" round stock you could have a smooth stud to chuck up in the drill, weld a nut on the stock, flat washer, drum, another flat washer, thread nut, skate wheel and a lock nut or jam nut.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

HF has a rubber drum set that with the factory install sleeves works well. I have found it problematic to replace the sleeves. By "problematic" I mean several "rage quits" and the high price for the inflatable ones mentioned earlier seems WELL worth it to me!
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I did go ahead and buy the HF set of drum sanders and used almost all of them. I even bought a second set due to the fact that they are a pain to get off and on and I ran out of all the bigger sizes. I have found a gentle tap on the drum or the spool will help get them on and off, depends on if you are going on or off on which one you tap. Off would be the rubber part. I also now have a portable 18" belt sander that came with clamps that turns it into a stationary belt sander by clamping it to the workbench. Added a 6" mandrel that is made for high speed sanding drums. They have been very useful in smoothing out rough fillets and sanding inside of fitting holes that were over drilled, filled and then drilled to slight undersize then sanded to correct size for an exact fit.

Since I started building my boat my collection of sanding tools has increased and is still growing. Seems like it is an addiction that I don't have control over. :?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne