AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

Post by Bogieman »

I decided to start my AD16 build thread today. This morning I ordered enough Meranti BS-6566 (14 sheets), epoxy and glass to complete the hull assembly, frames and stringers. This should get me just about half way through the build and will keep me busy for a while. I also made a trip to Lowe's this afternoon and purchased materials for the basket mold assembly: some nice 2x4s, a whole lot of carriage bolts and some cement blocks.

I will be building outside in my backyard. I intend to build a shelter once the weather warms up, but for now I will keep the build under a tarp.

I plan to start the basket mold this weekend and should receive the materials from BBC sometime this weekend or early next week. (Thanks Jeff & Reid)

So now it's time to get another AD16 started! I am really looking forward to this build and to all the good advice, encouragement and banter from you good folks here on the forum.

Bogie
Attachments
Basket mold 1.jpg
Last edited by Bogieman on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Welcome to the Adelie club forum. We all are looking forward to see your boat being built. Please let us see always enough pictures because whatever the stage of our build is in we always learn a lot from seeing how the collegues tackle the build.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Good luck on your build and please take lots of pictures. Lots of men on here and you know how they understand better with pictures! So far looks like your off to a good start!

Ken J

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good stuff Bogie and glad to see you are started!! As others have asked, take plenty of photos to share here at the Forum!! Thank you for your business, Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Allright, Bogieman! This is one of the boats I really like to follow, so like Karl says, don't stint on the pictures. One of the most admired builders here, the sorely missed Cracker Larry, was not only an expert builder, but also very expert at documenting his work with excellent pictures. It was much appreciated. :D
Tony

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Bogie,

Welcome! Your Meranti will be leaving our warehouse today and on its way to you!!! Looking forward to seeing your progress. I guess I don't need to tell you to take a lot of photos. :lol:

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks everybody! And Karl, please stay on the forum after your boat is finished. I sure do value your insight :D

I love looking at boat building pics just as much as you guys, so I'll do my best to keep them coming with regularity.

Today I moved everything to our back patio (under the watchful eye of that crazy pink flamingo ) since it's close to being level and flat. Once the basket mold is finished I'll move it back to where it belongs. I still have a ways to go but so far the basket mold is perfectly square.

A few pics of my progress

Bogie
Attachments
basket 2.jpg
basket 1.jpg
Last edited by Bogieman on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Good start!

Do you plan to put wheels on the legs? If you do, when shopping for them keep in mind the weight of the nearly finished boat with a person working inside it. Also, bigger wheels roll better than small ones.
Hank

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks Pee wee. I won't be using wheels because the whole assembly will be sitting on leveled cement blocks.

Bogie

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bogieman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:01 am Thanks Pee wee. I won't be using wheels because the whole assembly will be sitting on leveled cement blocks.

Bogie
That explains the blocks in your first picture but the PVC pipe is still a big mystery! :doh: :doh:

Strong back looking good!!