AD16 (Tipsy) Myrtle Beach

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Myrtle Beach

Post by Rtorres2411 »

WOW!!!! Looking amazing 8) .

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jeff wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:01 am Bogie, call us when you have a minute as we are meeting with a professional welding group later this morning who does a bunch of work for several of the big boat manufacturers here in South Florida. We will also discuss your project with him!! Boat is looking great, Jeff (772.742.8535)
Thank you! I’ll give you a call this week

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks everyone! Haven’t been able to get much work done these past several days because of the weather. Yesterday I picked up my trailer and 300+ lbs of lead ballast and 2lb iron bars. I put the soccer ball in the pic for scale. The lead came from the keel of an old Typhoon 19 sailboat. 300 pounds of lead does not take up a lot of space
Attachments
C46283A6-95E0-475F-999F-3EF87A8097AE.jpeg
32B2625E-251B-420C-8B57-DD05FF450F65.jpeg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Remember... do not use power tools on that lead. That stuff kills brain cells. Not sure either of us have any to spare.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:36 am Remember... do not use power tools on that lead. That stuff kills brain cells. Not sure either of us have any to spare.
No power tools needed. The lead will be placed under the cabin sole (as is) then secured in place.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:36 am Remember... do not use power tools on that lead. That stuff kills brain cells. Not sure either of us have any to spare.

Us old folks are expendable.....

Lead exposure can have serious consequences for the health of children. At high levels of exposure, lead attacks the brain and central nervous system to cause coma, convulsions and even death. Children who survive severe lead poisoning may be left with mental retardation and behavioural disorders.Aug 23, 2018
World Health Organization › detail
Lead poisoning and health - World Health Organization

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Capt UB wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:41 am

Us old folks are expendable.....

Lead exposure can have serious consequences for the health of children. At high levels of exposure, lead attacks the brain and central nervous system to cause coma, convulsions and even death. Children who survive severe lead poisoning may be left with mental retardation and behavioural disorders.Aug 23, 2018
World Health Organization › detail
Lead poisoning and health - World Health Organization
8O

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well, that may be the prominent message but the guys who pushed for lead in fuel weren’t kids when lead poisoning killed them. I’m not paranoid about a casual exposure but airborne lead dust will absorb into the blood stream PDQ. If you can’t cast it to shape, use unpowered hand tools, dust control methods and a respirator.

Also consider a coat of epoxy or two to seal it. At some point you may have littles on board that you’d like to keep lead free. A few ounces of preventative now may make things better long term.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:01 am Well, that may be the prominent message but the guys who pushed for lead in fuel weren’t kids when lead poisoning killed them. I’m not paranoid about a casual exposure but airborne lead dust will absorb into the blood stream PDQ. If you can’t cast it to shape, use unpowered hand tools, dust control methods and a respirator.

Also consider a coat of epoxy or two to seal it. At some point you may have littles on board that you’d like to keep lead free. A few ounces of preventative now may make things better long term.
Thanks! Exposure won't be an issue. Once I'm happy with the location of the ballast it will be FG'd in place and sealed under the cabin sole.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Perfect! I didn’t remember if it was strapped or sealed in.

When are you getting g the truck to bring it down ?