WISA Spruce Plywood

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

WISA Spruce Plywood

Post by TomTom »

It seems to me that it is becoming harder and harder to get good quality marine plywood from tropical timbers.

I recently tested a few samples of plywood from Malaysia stamped BS1088 to look at ... and the truth is they were horrible!!

Here is the 6mm after boiling for 2 hours... you will see that the very thin outer veneer peels away easily at the glue line, the inner core starts to warp and it is basically yet more junk stamped BS1088.

By contrast, a sample of the WISA Birch has held up very well and you can see that at the glue line, the wood is giving way and not the glue.

The Birch is very heavy - but the same company makes a WISA spruce - which has a mass of about 760KG/M^3 - which I believe puts it not far of Okoume in weight....

This is the product spec sheet.

http://www.wisaplywood.com/Products/pro ... fault.aspx

As good quality BS1088 (other than Joubert and Bryunzeel - which aren't available here) seems to be becoming harder and harder to find, it would be really interesting to have some good alternatives...

Would be interested in any experiences/ thoughts on this as an alternative (and prop also a much more environmentally friendly one than shitty plywood made from unsustainably harvested tropical hardwoods)...

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WISA Spruce Plywood

Post by Jeff »

TomTom, Sorry you are having issues with finding real marine plywood. I have two distributors that I buy from and do not trust several others that are always telling me they can save me money if I will buy their BS1088 (always a fake). Stay with Joubert or Bruynzeel if possible as I feel these names are high quality!! Jeff