Bama Build D15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
KENBOUCHER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Bama Build D15

Post by KENBOUCHER »

I must have been drunk when I measured the drain hole

KENBOUCHER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by KENBOUCHER »

at this point I don't even know where the drawings are, I'm reacting to poor building and listening to basketball games.
I kept the rear bench open. battery will go in left cubby, bucket/ice chest slides into right. fire ext. mount and slight amount of foam will go in middle supports. Trimmed the seat edge with 2"X3/4" strip.
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG

KENBOUCHER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by KENBOUCHER »

sand,sand,sand. stuck in wire chase and ran first ply of rubrail on the problem side. the first one broke when I tried to horse it around, so I used clamps and slowly tightened over a couple days. we'll see if it springs when I de-clamp.
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

You mite what to check with the designer on leaving the back deck open there might not be enough support for the transom.
Easier to fix now than later.
Novi 23 finally launched !

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks for that remark Topwater.

You can't leave the back open!
The transom needs some bracing. The original design includes two longitudinal benches that are part of the structure.
You could replace them with transom knees and breasthooks.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

KENBOUCHER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by KENBOUCHER »

thanks for the reply Jacques. I have knees ready to go I just haven't gotten to the install yet. Do you mean I can't leave the bench open? The drawings don't show any extra framing for the bench version. I did shift the c.o.g 6" by skinnying the bench to 12" wide and shifting to the edge of the frame instead of centerline. I thought by adding the middle bracing tied back to the keelson and doubling up the seat edge it would be stiff enough.

is the attached what we're talking about?
Attachments
SKM_C25818032807230.pdf
(145.2 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

HogWild
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by HogWild »

I'll be keeping an eye on this build. :wink: I've been wanting to see one of these with benches instead of deck. :D
Wood Chips and Sawdust is as close to Potpourri as I get...
Get Me outta here. That Gator's bigger than the boat...
Sometimes I'm Fast, Other Times I'm Half Fast.....

KENBOUCHER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by KENBOUCHER »

hey Hogwild. You probably shouldn't go by me, I think I've made about every mistake you can. After putting knees in last night now I'm concerned that I didn't glass first due to the debate raging on another thread!
The epoxy and I are having a go.....I feel like the kid in the cartoons that starts with a piece of bubble gum and ends up all tangled up in it.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

I built this boat back in 2010. It's a great little boat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

KENBOUCHER wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:00 pm hey Hogwild. You probably shouldn't go by me, I think I've made about every mistake you can. After putting knees in last night now I'm concerned that I didn't glass first due to the debate raging on another thread!
Don't get too hung up on that technical debate. Yes it matters, but for the most part, careful attention to fully coating your ply (edges and faces) and then making sure you have full sealing up of seams will be fine for the smaller boats. You won't be generating the kinds of enormous hull pressure the big boats do unless you way over power the d15.

That said, you should really follow the build plans unless you are really dang sure you know what the heck you are doing. If the plan say glass then install... do it that way. ;)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.