AD16 floor frames (B&C) question for Jaques

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

AD16 floor frames (B&C) question for Jaques

Post by Bogieman »

Hi Jaques,

I'm in the process of drawing out the floor frames. I completed C with no problem, but I'm having an issue with B because I can't locate a measurement for the width at the baseline. That dimension is provided for floor frame C but not floor frame B. I could find the dimension if I was to draw out the entire frame and its multiple sections on a whole sheet but I'm using left over scrap and don't have room on the ply to do that. Without this measurement I'd have to create a full sized pattern of frame B to find the answer. Are you able to provide this dimension?

Thank you,

Bogie

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 floor frames (B&C) question for Jaques

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi
I am sure Jacques will give you the right answer. I helped myself with the stations plan measurements of the width at the keel and the top of the boat by drawing and cutting out the frame and and marking the baseline on a cheap piece of 9 mm chipboard and using it as a pattern for the real plywood. I also used all the chipboard frames to test place them in the hull where the real nice marine plywood frames will be.

Frame D with chipboard

and here frame B and C

and the floor frames should look something like this although here already installed.

It is best to test fit everything with throwaway wood because the thickness of the floor is also to consider.
I hope this helps you a bit but Jacques might send you the accurate measurements at the baseline anyway.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

For cheap plywood to build sample frames and molds with look for furniture warehouses or some where that sells a lot of tables. They come incased in throw away plywood. And like it's called, they throw away the plywood. It is of very poor grade that if it gets rained on or even bumped hard it falls apart. You can talk to the warehouse manager and he/she may set it aside for you. The one near me the delivery drivers have been known to drop it off to my warehouse rather than leaving it out by their dumpster.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 floor frames (B&C) question for Jacques

Post by Bogieman »

I keep forgetting the "C"! Sorry Jacques.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:11 am For cheap plywood to build sample frames and molds with look for furniture warehouses or some where that sells a lot of tables. They come incased in throw away plywood. And like it's called, they throw away the plywood. It is of very poor grade that if it gets rained on or even bumped hard it falls apart. You can talk to the warehouse manager and he/she may set it aside for you. The one near me the delivery drivers have been known to drop it off to my warehouse rather than leaving it out by their dumpster.
Thank you!

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

gonandkarl wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:16 am Hi
I am sure Jacques will give you the right answer...

Thank you Karl! I appreciate your help. It's also nice that you posted those pics.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jacques,

Never mind. I've got it figured out. All I had to do is get inside the boat and measure the distance across (at frame B) from port to starboard at baseline height then plug in the measurements for the width at the chine.

P.S. Sorry for misspelling your name in a few of my previous posts. It won't happen again :D

Bogie

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Sorry about the late reply, I missed that post.
You emailed this:
I wanted to reach out to you and Jacques for your opinions regarding a mistake I made while installing the floor frame(s) C on my Adelie 16 build. I accidentally installed both floor frames (C) one inch too far forward so now bulkhead C wont line up properly. I published my mistake on the forum asking for advice and so far everyone says to cut out the frames then reinstall in the proper location. I don't want to be stubborn but don't really want to cut the frames out if it's not absolutely necessary... What I was wanting to know is instead of removing the frames can I epoxy glue one horizontal 2x2s flush with the top edge / aft side of each of the floor frames C? This would allow the angled bulkhead C to align properly and rest on the 2x2.
I agree with the 2x2 solution, it should work.
Or you could add an extra floor frame in the correct place, foam in between. I prefer your 2x2 solution: cleaner, easy access to the bilges.

I checked the dimensions for bulkhead B and see all of them but that problem is solved apparently.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Just found this. Thanks Jacques. That makes me feel better about things.

Bogie

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bet you was happy to read that!!