FS19 deck question

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS19 deck question

Post by topwater »

I think i am getting confused , i think he is talking about decks others are talking about the sole.
which one :?: To me it sounds like he wants to extend his front casting deck with wider wallk
around side decks .
Novi 23 finally launched !

bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bwhite829 »

topwater wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 am I think i am getting confused , i think he is talking about decks others are talking about the sole.
which one :?: To me it sounds like he wants to extend his front casting deck with wider wallk
around side decks .
Bingo. I know adding huge decks are generally frowned upon here as the plan for the boats are intended to be light and more utilitarian from what I've seen. I'm wanting to have about a 2 ft rear deck, tiller OB, a small grabrail/seat in the middle, wrap around deck so that i can walk all the way around the boat if i'm fighting a fish, and 8 ft front deck. Batteries in the middle where the grabrail/seat go and probably an internal fuel tank towards the bow to balance the weight(I hover between 250-315 lbs, so that plus motor and gas would be a ton of weight at the stern due to tiller steer). I'm hoping to cut weight on the decks depending on the cost/benefit of a lighterweight material. I'm not too concerned about the strength, because from everything that I've seen/read, the strength will be there regardless of the option I choose.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

This might be a regional thing(I'm in the northeast) and also I'm not all that much of a fisherman myself, but why can't you fight a fish from in the boat? Seems like you could save a lot of time and weight up high from building the open version of the boat with very little or no sidedeck, then you would be free to walk anywhere in it while fighting a fish. The sides are down at what knee hight on the standard sheer?

Asking for my curiosity more than anything, why you prefer to be up on the deck fighting fish instead of in the boat where you can brace off the sides if needed.

bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bwhite829 »

It definitely is a regional thing....I am used to seeing shiny skiffs and poling skiffs with huge decks and bass boats that are literally all deck except for console and seats. When I see boats up in the north east (granted I only have experience in that region from what is seen on tv), i see a much more utilitarian style, that no doubt catches a lot of fish for often times a fraction of the cost.

It depends on preference and fishing styles. I grew up sitting inside the cockpit fishing vs standing on a deck casting or had a tiny casting deck and always wished I had a large casting deck to use instead.i tripped coming up and down the deck multiple times because I was focused and amped up fighting the fish. For casting lures all day, in my opinion can’t beat an open large deck and if you plan on flipping and pitching cover(used for bass typically buy also killer in the brackish marshes down here for reds, speckled trout, and flounder) or casting a cast net from the boat the deck is the way to go. I am going to leave a large open cockpit in the middle because like you said, depending on the situation, being able to brace on the sides is beneficial...mostly in my area will be for grouper jacks cobia and other large fish.

I’m going to only have one boat for several years so need a boat that I can punch cover for bass/inshore Marsh, go offshore for bottom fishing, carry a hunting load, and be light enough to trailer to the glades with a smaller truck and I think that style skiff is the best option in Florida

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

bwhite I see no problem with your decking. A 1' side deck is not that much larger than is specified. Don't worry about front or rear decks they can be adjusted from the plans. Just try to keep the weight equal with what you do stern to bow. It is really not a a big deal as long as you do not change the frames. I think the FS19 would be a good choice for you with maybe a 70hp motor

After reading your requirements for your needs she looks good.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

The FS 19 standard deck plan includes a front casting deck that is almost 7 feet long. The suggested gunwale width is 8”. I shortened the front deck to a bit over five feet and added the length to the rear casting deck and also widened the gunwale in places and narrowed it in others.

The boat feels like a Bay Boat. You feel like you are in a boat as opposed to on top of one. Even when standing on the casting decks you feel like you are in a boat. On Sunday we fished in the Atlantic Ocean and it was rough with an East wind opposing an outgoing tide kicking up a lot of chop. We were the only boat out fishing. Never once did I feel unsafe and only once or twice did any spray come over the bow all day despite the wind. I would definitely include substantial spray rails in your building plans. They contribute substantially to the great dry ride of this boat.

The lesson that I just learned is that adding weight in the back with livewells and batteries and also adding weight to the hull with additional fiberglass cloth causes seawater to come out of the cockpit drains when the 20 gallon livewell in the rear casting deck is full. That is after raising the deck by one inch. In retrospect, I believe that the stringers could have been deepened by an inch or two more without any adverse effect.

On Sunday I had three people in the boat and we did not use the livewell and we did not have seawater coming up from the drains.

The FS-19 is roomy, efficient, comfortable, and I would not hesitate to recommend the design for inshore and nearshore use.