Foam Core

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Foam Core

Post by fallguy1000 »

Btw, I am right near 100 gallons of epoxy in my build. Estimate about 30 percent waste rate for my vac bag work.

Hand laminating waste rates are very low.

So, for the same boat in plywood; probably would have used say 15% more epoxy for same glass hand lam, but say 15-30% less epoxy for a ply laminate that is lighter glass and no waste rate. Infusion waste rates are better. Point is the waste rate is the big difference. So; expect to use 20-30% more resin with a foam wet bag or infusion build. I missed bad on my epoxy budget.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

Well that was a lot of good information. What do you mean by bondline testing? Also I meant what did you use to glue between two pieces of core material as in making a butt joint.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Buttjoins are done panel to panel 1:1 on the vac table. For certain vessels, bulkheads are not supposed to be close to the joins, but I didn’t worry about it.

Glass panels are typically rebated like sheet rock to provide for seam taping on long joins.

Panel stock sizes vary; corecell M is pretty close to 4x8 in 12mm, so for my large panels; there are 4 butt joins and rebates on both sides the front edges are relieved for the bow join. All donenwith planer n sanders.

Corecell is NOT strong enough for transoms. You need probably 26# core for that if I failed to mention.

Corecell 5# density cuts with a utility knife; rebates are formed with an electric planer. High density corecell is used where metal hardware will go. It requires a table saw.

Bondline testing is a test where you see how well the glass and epoxy are bonded to the substrate. Basically, the destructive method you grab the glass and pull. For core; the right bond pulls the core with the glass. It is destructive unless you use infrared technology.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495