Hybird MF14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Hybird MF14

Post by Jaysen »

Beautiful. The hand touches on this ...

I use a bridle on my v12. I find that having it be adjustable really helps with performance. Class spec for the sunfish may require fixed though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Thanks.

The original Sunfish had a loop in the middle of the bridle to which the mainsheet attached. The Class Rules were amended in 1980 to allow a straight piece of line, effectively turning the mainsheet attachement into a traveller that could move from side to side. That's what I'm planning on. It's also the way Jacques drew the MF14 plans so I'll be class-legal at the Moonfish races. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Ha.

The traveler aspect is what I was hinting at. Being able to pull the sheet over the centerline for a few extra points on the chains was a game changer for Lil Bit. I imagine it would be huge on a ‘fish.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

mattkab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mattkab »

Chenier wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:21 am Here are the padeye prototypes and forged "blanks"
Finished padeyes, polished up:
Wait... you forged your own padeyes!?! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

The things I come across on this forum sometimes... truly amazing and inspiring.
Matt.
Seattle, WA.

GV-13 Build thread & Questions
Previously completed V10 & Launch

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Chenier wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 am First thing to do is set up a crude smithy in the driveway:
HOA: what's that?

You: Crude smithy

HOA: <flips through bylaws>....Carry on.

Fun stuff!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Fortunately we don't have an HOA.

I'm not going out of my way to bring this activity to the attention of the zoning officer, however! :D

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Oh Hell yes!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

More bling. I've been distracted by some house projects but did get a chance to turn out the open fairlead:

It's a 1/2-inch hook that mounts at the front of the cockpit. A sailor hooks the main sheet under it to anchor the sheet in the center of the boat. Early Sunfish had a hook like this. Nowadays they use a block.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Very cool!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman