Hybird MF14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Hybird MF14

Post by Jaysen »

138lbs… rooftop transport?

That’s a beautiful hull. I envy the final product but you put all the time in making it so beautiful.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:33 pm 138lbs… rooftop transport?
Certainly could be done. But SWMBO and I aren't as adept at throwing boats on rooftops as we used to be ...

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Maybe some kayak cradles in the front and hully rollers in the back. As handy as you are, I am sure you already have something in mind.

Our outboard powered canoe comes in about that weight and we also use a trailer with 12" tires but 500 lb springs and it gets bounced around a lot on Houston highways.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

That really is a work of beauty...top job.
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

The cherry tree is a nice touch. Great pic!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Finished fiddlin' with the trailer.

Sadly, the cherry tree has moved on to making cherries so now the boat is doing it's best to look better than our trash cans. :D But in the cherry tree picture (previous page) you can see the boat is teetering on those horizontal bunks. The basic problem is this trailer was made for boats with longitudinally straight bottoms. Unfortunately the bottom of the MF14 isn't straight in any direction. My solution was to appropriate some parts from the beach dolly that I have.

Up front I used the padded front bracket from the dolly as it has more extension than the trailer's rubber roller.

Aft I used the dolly's 10" adjustable cradle. Ordered an extra pair of those so that back by the wheels I have four support points in contact with the hull. This ought to do. (That wheel you see in the background is part of the decimated dolly.)

Now I just need water warm enough to test it.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

With work like that, I need you to come around here and do the finish work on my boat! Looks wonderful. I'd die a happy man if I could produce a finish like that...
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Many thanks!

You can. That finish is care of a random orbital sander of the epoxy coat down to 150 grit, then seven coats of varnish. The first three coats get got sanded with 220 grit. After that it was green ScotchBrite by hand between coats. Vacuum and wipe down with denatured alcohol after sanding/scotchbrite. It takes an infuriating amount of patience to let all the coats dry. It's not museum-quality, but it sure passes the 10-foot test.

Whatever you do, don't let your cat into the workshop after you've brushed on the varnish!

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Ready for the road ...

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Maiden voyage a success!