Mast and Boom for Vg20

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Mast and Boom for Vg20

Post by Capt UB »

I had a few great finds for a few larger boats at scrap yards near the shore. I did buy a 58 ft mast in Atlanta, GA., used part of it for a mizzen mast. Checkout old boat yards/marine railways...

Just checkout your build pic's.... Beautiful job building her and she is a looker!!

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Thanks for the compliment, it has been a fun and challenging project. Cutting, gluing and the use of epoxy and fiberglass was quite a learning experience. But now have admit the fairing and painting and drilling holes everywhere for fittings has me a little bit overwhelmed.

Rick

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The Hunter rig is probably a bit tall but might do. You can put smaller sails on a bigger rig but not bigger sails on a smaller rig. :wink: And anyway, bigger is not necessarily a bad thing. More sail area in light wind and when it pipes up you perhaps have a slightly larger reef.

I don't know about where you are on the shape of the mast step, but of course that will have to be fashioned to accommodate whatever mast cross-section you choose. I'm presuming it is a deck-stepped mast so this shouldn't present a problem.
Tony

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

I followed the plans for the size and shape of the mast step. It is deck stepped so that is why with my limited knowledge I am trying to figure out the details from the sail plan. I guess I didn't realize there would be so many combinations to sort through on size and shape.

When I get off work, I will study the plans a bit more.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Have you had any luck with the mast and boom search? I built the mast and sprit for my first build a small rowing/sailing dinghy, and on my AR15 used Dwyer Mast and Rigging for the mast and boom and the standing and running rigging. I have very little sailing experience and Dwyer has been really helpful and the price wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Several month back I got a quote from a spar company that is located about 5 hours away from me. They would build and rig everything according to plan for around $4400.00.
Ouch it seems a little steep, but not sure. I still need a trailer and sails. Still searching at this time however.

Rick