FS18 Build- "Insufficient Funds"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gyarbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS18 Build- "Insufficient Funds"

Post by gyarbs »

Couple of college boys from Austin, Texas with no money and a dream. Building an FS18 with rounded chine and sheer deck to fish down on the Texas coast, mainly Port Aransas/Port O'Connor area.
Picked up our CNC kit about a week ago and have been working with it for about the last 4-5 days. Our progress so far; strongback built and level, molds in place, stringers glued and in place, currently gluing together our side panels and transom.
Originally made the strongback too high at about 3 feet, after cutting out the CNC pieces and noticing it would be too high we dropped it about 10" and added some casters for mobility which was a huge advantage.
Originally made the strongback too high at about 3 feet, after cutting out the CNC pieces and noticing it would be too high we dropped it about 10" and added some casters for mobility which was a huge advantage.
IMG_5978.JPG (131.92 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Molds in place.
Molds in place.
IMG_5974.JPG (152.23 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Our first go round with any epoxy/glue on the stringers
Our first go round with any epoxy/glue on the stringers
IMG_5970.JPG
Stringers sanded and in place
Stringers sanded and in place
transom and side panels setting up. Talked with Reid on the phone before gluing our side panels together as we coulded get them to fit together at first and he suggested a 1/16" to 1/8" gap in between fittings on panels so we got after it with a dremel which worked out well. We did get confused a little when lining up the 3 transom pieces to glue as the middle piece was larger on all sides than the other two so we ended up just gluing together the inside and middle pieces and making the bottom flush.
transom and side panels setting up. Talked with Reid on the phone before gluing our side panels together as we coulded get them to fit together at first and he suggested a 1/16" to 1/8" gap in between fittings on panels so we got after it with a dremel which worked out well. We did get confused a little when lining up the 3 transom pieces to glue as the middle piece was larger on all sides than the other two so we ended up just gluing together the inside and middle pieces and making the bottom flush.
IMG_5971.JPG
Any comments, suggestions, tips more than welcome, would love the help!
Last edited by gyarbs on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrangeQuest

Re: FS18 Build- "Insufficient Funds"

Post by OrangeQuest »

You guys need to get one of these.
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-too ... 63113.html

It is known as the SOB tool. It would have been very helpful to open the slots up. Get it with sanding pads and different cutting attachments. You can get it with the 25% off coupon.

Post more often on the forum and keep the pictures coming. When you get stumped ask a question on here, there have been a lot of the FS18 boats built by many great builders. So far your build is looking good.

Good luck and tight lines,
OQ

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looks like you guys are off to a great start. Keep it up!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Good use of the beer. I would now drink it and buy new ones for when you glue the deck down.

Great project, and if funds are truly insufficient, keep her light and Spartan. Porch paint...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Guys, glad to see you have joined the Builders Forum!! As you can see, you will receive excellent help & support here!! Keep posting on your progress!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

cape man wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 am Good use of the beer.
I don't know... seems like beer abuse to me.
1. Not being kept cold
2. Being used in a "non-drinking" context that is less than worshipful reverence
3. No scantily clad females indicating how wonderful we are for our possession of beer.

But maybe I'm being naive.

I think the most expensive part of my build was the finish. By "finish" I mean everything that follow "holy hell! i built something that looks like a BOAT!" In your case it will the the things for to run electronics, electronics, motor, paint, and hardware. Cape man's advice will do you well. minimize what you change and add, but make sure you plan ahead (larger/extra chase tubes, don't skimp on safety, skimp on easy repairs like paint). And I'm sure you know all about the used market for hardware like fish finders and the like.

Good luck. And keep that beer cold.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

gyarbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gyarbs »

Thanks all for the tips this far, checked on the splices on our half bottoms and sides this morning and noticed a decent amount of air bubbles in a few of them;
IMG_5990.JPG
IMG_5989.JPG
IMG_5988.JPG
Is this something we would need to take care of now? i.e. take a dremel and remove bubbles and refill? or is it something that would be taken care of later being covered with fiberglass/faring?
Aside from that,
Jaysen wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 am 1. Not being kept cold
2. Being used in a "non-drinking" context that is less than worshipful reverence
3. No scantily clad females indicating how wonderful we are for our possession of beer.
, not to worry, we keep the good stuff cold and i'm sure these scantily clad women you speak of will appear once we have something that resembles a boat to the average eye AND some beer.
For all those with the advice to keep it clean and simple, we hear ya, planning on making this thing as bare bones as possible; pull start jet drive (25-30 hp), no electronics, no battery... the goal is skinny and skinny is what she'll be.

cape man

Post by cape man »

You can dremel and fill but that's not enough air to be structural in my mind.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

gyarbs wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm the goal is skinny and skinny is what she'll be.
The scantily clad women or the boat? Let’s go with both!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

BB Sig wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:52 pm
gyarbs wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm the goal is skinny and skinny is what she'll be.
The scantily clad women or the boat? Let’s go with both!
You don’t want too skinny! A little cushion, some soft curves, ain’t nothing wrong with them.

Same goes for the ladies.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.