AD16 sail costs? Marconi vs Chinese lug

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

AD16 sail costs? Marconi vs Chinese lug

Post by Bogieman »

Hello,

The Marconi sail price is listed on the Adelie page but it doesn't show the cost for the modified Chinese lug sail...

Thanks,

Bogie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 sail costs? Marconi vs Chinese lug

Post by Jaysen »

Are you lugging it?

You should be able to take the specs from the plans and get a local sail shop to quote one for you. Or maybe I'm thinking of the marconi.
Last edited by Jaysen on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, it is much safer to bring the sail plan to a local sailmaker.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Would you are a loved one like to make your own?

https://www.sailrite.com/Sail-and-Canvas-Kits

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Ok thanks everyone. I'll see about finding a company to give me a quote. Not sure if I'd be comfortable making it myself, but then again I am building the boat. Trying to figure out the budget for what remains on the build.

Bogie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Go to a marina or yacht club. There will be sailmakers in the advertisement board. Just ask a staff member where that is.

I’d expect the junk sail to be a bit more than Marconi. Especially if you make it “disassemble for reefing” vs standard reefing (not sure the correct term for the reefing method were you remove the panels).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:36 pm Go to a marina or yacht club. There will be sailmakers in the advertisement board. Just ask a staff member where that is.

I’d expect the junk sail to be a bit more than Marconi. Especially if you make it “disassemble for reefing” vs standard reefing (not sure the correct term for the reefing method were you remove the panels).
Hi Jaysen! Thank you for the tip. There is a mention on the Adelie page that the lug sail version is cheaper than the Marconi w/ only a small penalty in performance. Not sure which way I'll go but it can't hurt to start thinking about it now. I've sailed with the standard sail before but know almost nothing about the lug version.

Bogie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Do some research on how to sail lugs. There’s a lot of positives to it. I’ve not sailed a lug but there’s no real reason not to consider it.

In my research the savings was in rigging and “total sail” required. You have less standing rigging and only the main. While the cost of mains (Marconi main v junk) is higher for junk, you only need one sail for junk rigged boats. That means less running HW and less standing HW.

Take a bit to research the difference in sailing. There are some differences but nothing dramatic.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:59 am Do some research on how to sail lugs. There’s a lot of positives to it. I’ve not sailed a lug but there’s no real reason not to consider it.

In my research the savings was in rigging and “total sail” required. You have less standing rigging and only the main. While the cost of mains (Marconi main v junk) is higher for junk, you only need one sail for junk rigged boats. That means less running HW and less standing HW.

Take a bit to research the difference in sailing. There are some differences but nothing dramatic.
Thank you Jaysen. I appreciate your input.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Bogie,
If you really want to save money you can engage your wife to make the sail over Winter with the sewing machine. All it costs you then is the sail cloth material and the thread. If you own a sewing machine and like my wife refuses to use it you should try it yourself. It took me nearly 4 weeks to sew my sail but I id it twice. The first try was with white tarpaulin which was difficult to sew and when I had it finished I actually did not like it and ordered proper sailcloth and did the whole sewing job again. All you need is a big room where you can spread out at least parts of the sailcloth for cutting.If it is a success on the sailboat in practical use I will tell you next spring as the weather here is not good enough any more to go sailing. My 2 cents on sail.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433