AD16 sail costs? Marconi vs Chinese lug

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 sail costs? Marconi vs Chinese lug

Post by glossieblack »

Karl, I hadn't realised that you made your own sail. Well done! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Yes Michael I sew my own sail that the sewing machine I bought once for my wife at a special offer was not completely wasted because I knew then already she would never use it. It was quite fun and I did not want to pay from 1000 Euros upwards for a sail and for a small 14 foot Adelie and though I could have afforded it, I rather wanted to proof myself that I can do it and really make everything on my boat with my hands except the aluminium mast I bought. There was no better feeling than the one me sitting on the PS when the slight wind blew into my self made sail even it was only in the drive way.

and here fully rigged

Having seen this, maybe Bogieman will also sew his own sail with gusto.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Karl!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

That is some really good work Karl!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'm thinking you could get a marconi rig pretty inexpensive if you look around. I know that the local racers are throwing sails away (selling) based on age not actual wear. North Sails may be responsible for that :)

I guess the question is are you opposed to a used rig? A trashed laser (I may know of one) may make a good donor for a COMPLETE marconi rig. You might need to go to a deck step from a keel step though to raise the mast to the proper height. I know of a few bigger boats but I don't think those would be suitable for the AD.

And yes, I've been looking at the old boat market for stuff. including ballast material :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Just realized this thread was up and walking again :lol: Maybe I'll sew my own lug sail, ya never know. I've read that a lug sail is much easier to make because all of the panels are flat. I'm all about saving money so it's worth looking into.