GF16 Kansas build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GF16 Kansas build

Post by OrangeQuest »

Your family is in my thoughts Piperdown.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Piperdown take it easy. Your health has to come first. I bought the plans and plywood for a C17 and then broke an ankle falling off a ladder at our cabin on the Mississippi and then tore up my right knee wandering our hills in NC. So it never got built and I bought CL OD18. You will eventually get your GF16 built and have a nice boat. It was the first Bateau boat I fished out of with CL.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Thanks Gents. Puttered around the house and yard today. My oldest mowed the yard and I ended up raking up some leaves.

Straightened the garage up just a tiny little bit (really not much). Added the first panel of Rubbermaid's fast track system, eventually I'll have another 7 panels.
Went out to lunch came home puttered around on the boat for a bit. Made a mistake with the router. Had the wrong bit in it. Nothing some epoxy and wood flour won't fix. Had some left so decided to use it to make a ramp at the front edge of the runner. Saved me a bit of shaping time on that. I'll smooth it down with sandpaper and prep for fg tape to go over the entire runner. Then do the same for the other side.

Put the first fairing coat on the front and rear transom.

Fasttrack

Runner fix

First layer fairing on front transom (no pic of rear transom)
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Forgot to mention...that fairing compound BBC sells is some odd stuff. Is it supposed to be more blended together? There was chunks of "white stuff" that when I pinched it, crumbled. Had to stir and stir and stir some more to get it into a consistency I could use. Maybe it's just first timer syndrome :D
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Thats the silica it clumps up , just mix the hell out of it. i like to use the blended filler on the first
couple of passes then switch to Quick Fair. The fact that you can mix it differently , thin for filling
weave on flat surface or thicker for vertical works well for me.
Novi 23 finally launched !

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Thanks Top!

I mixed it thin this time. Went back and reread CL's GF18 thread on the fairing part and he said thin to fill the weave at first, then a bit thicker for the next couple of rounds, just like you said.

Happy Easter all!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I use a hand sieve on the mix right out of the bag/can. Dump the bag a bit at a time into the sieve over a coffee can. Press the clumps though. Put top on can. Shake. Dump can into new bag. Repeat until all the stuff is mixed. Eventually I stopped doing the whole bag and only what I needed. Then I just decided to buy the cabosil and balloons separate to make my own ratios.

You really can’t do it wrong. Well that’s not true. I’m sure fuzzy and I can provide all the examples of fool proof methods failing due to a “better fool”.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

I think I need an old flour sifter for the fairing mix.

Glued up the second sets of boards for the splash rail. It will cure overnight and then both will be ready to install.
Shaped the first runner, lots of hand sanding to round the ends and smooth out where I used the wrong router bit. Will have more sanding to finish smoothing it out.
Made a 20 inch long fairing board. Sanded the front transom and then did another round of fairing compound on the front transom (just the front).

Fly out late Tuesday to Idaho. Mom is doing better but she wants to proceed with getting her affairs in order.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Mainly doing stuff around the house today. Knocked off at 2pm and decided to do something on the boat.

Got the starboard runner completed and fiberglassed. Sanded down the runner and around the filet area. Mixed up a batch of neat epoxy and coated the runner and out about 2 inches either side. Ran a filet on either side and let it set up for just a bit. Laid the biax tape on the runner, smoothed it down and mixed up another batch of neat epoxy. Used my smaller bubble buster. Did a lot of smoothing with just my fingertips too (nitrile gloves on).

Also decided to sand the front transom with the 2 coats of fairing compound on it. Used my long board to sand. Wiped everything down, mixed up another batch of fairing compound and spread it around.

Having a beer, going to go take a shower and then the family is headed to dinner followed by the new Avengers movie.

Eric (aka, piperdown)

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Cross my fingers and could use some good thoughts my way. The fairing I put on yesterday is still somewhat tacky and I can gouge it with my thumbnail. The runner and fiberglass are hard as can be but that fairing compound, only an hour behind the fiberglassing, isn't as hard. I don't recall rushing or that I was off on the mix but who knows :help: If it doesn't harden up in the next 24 hours I guess I'll be getting a sharp chisel out to remove it :x Hope not....

Started shaping the the port runner today. Might have to make a template of the starboard side to help out on making it look like a mirror image.
Eric (aka, piperdown)