GF16 Kansas build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GF16 Kansas build

Post by piperdown »

Fuzz wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:51 am If it were me I would use something a little tougher than fairing compound to fill low spots on the bottom. That sounds like a small enough area it might not make much difference though.
Over estimated the gap. Just went out and measured it and it's looks like 2mm. Easier to read in mm than getting into those small fraction. It's uniform across that area.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Doing some surgery on the Jeep today. Got to a certain point and had to stop and order a bracket.

So, switched over to the boat for a while :D

Finished up sharpening the chines and have it a good sanding on the port side. Cleaned it up by vacuuming and then wiping down with acetone.
Mixed up 12oz of epoxy and added the fairing compound and went at it. This layer was just filling in the weave and small voids. Also added another layer to the front transom but didn't get a pic of that. Going to have to order more fairing compound. Use quite a bit to get the right thickness.

Need to sand the bottom where I glassed the runners. Also need to rebuild my table. It was great for building but it's too high to be comfortable to work on fairing the bottom. I won't lower it until I get the sides faired. Right now its the perfect height for the sides but not the bottom. Plus it will make it easier to work on the interior once I'm done fairing and it gets flipped.

Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

piperdown, nice progress!! Let us know when you are headed back down our way!! Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Jeff wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:14 am piperdown, nice progress!! Let us know when you are headed back down our way!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff and will do.
Might be sooner than I realized if my guy down there gets a job offer. Since we are shutting that facility down I've been telling him to "do what's best for the family and don't worry about the facility, we will take care of the shutdown".
Eric (aka, piperdown)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

OK, let us know!!! Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Instead of working on the boat or bathroom I had to deal with this rusty piece of crap.
Jeep's gas tank skid plate was damn near falling apart and off. Glad I have a good compressor and heavy duty impact wrench to get the bolts out.

Eric (aka, piperdown)

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

No pics.....

Still plugging away at the GF16. Mostly sanding and everyone here already knows sanding :D

Slight delay as I picked up a wrecked '08 Ford Fusion for cheap. Youngest son will be driving soon and figured a cheap, already wrecked car would be ideal for him to learn. While it seems each panel on the car has some dent, really the only big issue with it was that it had a caved in drivers side fender, bent hood and the upper frame rail is bent in. Already have a replacement hood, fender, and headlight assembly, rear taillight and some misc pieces from a salvage yard (Pick N Pull), $160 out the door. Local body shop will straighten the upper frame rail for $309 even. Figure I'll be into it around $800 total when all is said and done.

Each morning for the past week I've been spending 35-45 mins sanding the GF before getting ready for work on the port side and front and rear transom. I don't have any fairing material on the starboard or hull bottom yet but it won't be long. Picked up a couple of those ZEP sanding disks Fuzz had listed in a different thread. 24 grit for my 4.5 angle grinder. I've got some areas with too much epoxy that I want to grind down. Plan is slow and with a very light touch. Really need to stop laying on the fairing compound as thick as I have been and go forward with multiple thin coats.

Really need to rebuild my table. While it's great for the sides it's a bit too long and about 18" too tall to work comfortably on the bottom of the hull without a small stepladder.

Picked up a cheap '83 Merc 25hp long shaft. Found out why it's so cheap....hard to find parts. Ran well when I went to buy it for the most part. Water flowed well and everything seems to be in order but the idle needs a bit of adjustment. I'll dig into it a bit more as time allows.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Still plugging away at sanding the port side.
Chasing down low spots and knocking the highs down. Just cracked open the quik fair. Must say, as others have, it's some smooth stuff and easy to sand.

Quick question. Since I'm a beginner there are areas that have a slightly more amount of resin and it doesn't have much fairing compound on it but it's smooth when I run my hand over it. Normal for a first time build?
You can see what I'm talking about in the last picture towards the rubrail.

Eric (aka, piperdown)

Salty F17
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Salty F17 »

piperdown wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:39 am Still plugging away at sanding the port side.
Chasing down low spots and knocking the highs down. Just cracked open the quik fair. Must say, as others have, it's some smooth stuff and easy to sand.

Quick question. Since I'm a beginner there are areas that have a slightly more amount of resin and it doesn't have much fairing compound on it but it's smooth when I run my hand over it. Normal for a first time build?

I have a few spots like that also wondering the same thing build looks great by the way
Check out my build----C17---- hit the link https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63575 ,OD18 build link Nola OD18 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums
viewtopic.php?t=65341

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Salty F17 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:18 pm
piperdown wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:39 am Still plugging away at sanding the port side.

I have a few spots like that also wondering the same thing build looks great by the way
Thanks Salty!
Yeah, it's a bit strange. That area is smooth but has hardly any filler. Probably went too much on the resin. I guess as long as it's smooth there's nothing to worry about.
Eric (aka, piperdown)