D5; Anchorage, AK

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: D5; Anchorage, AK

Post by Netpackrat »

Went out on Sand Lake here in Anchorage this afternoon... Was fun while we had the wind, but on my way back to where we launched it went away completely. Ended up taking down the rig in the middle of the lake and breaking out the oars. That is the lake that the rowing club practices on, and a couple of my wife's rowing buddies were there running juniors practice for a bunch of teenagers, so I tried to stay out of their way while sailing. Was glad they had left by the time I had to row... Let's just say that my oarsmanship isn't up to the standards of grace and efficiency which that lake is used to seeing.

Originally wanted to launch at the club's dock (which is public access) but they had some barricades across the trail (enough to keep anything but a rowing shell or canoe/kayak out) which I didn't want to try to lift the boat over, so I got dropped off with the boat and daughter at the other public access at the other side of the lake, and we sailed across to the dock to meet up with the wife and son. Traded kids for a while, and then I attempted to sail back across solo when the wind gave out.

But while it was good, this was the first time I had been on the boat solo with good wind, and it was like the light bulb came on, and I saw how it was actually supposed to work. I had been wanting to shorten the tiller but I am glad now that I did not. Amazing how well the boat works solo with some decent wind.

The other thing that was kind of interesting, is last year I went to a lot of trouble seeking out 7' take down oars, because I thought I wanted longer oars. Luckily the ones I bought are actually 6' oars with a 1 foot extension piece in the middle. Took out the extensions and found that they worked better for me at the shorter length.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Took the D5 out on Beach Lake in Birchwood (which I only discovered last week) with my 5 year old today and had a pretty good time. There was actually a decent breeze for most of the time we were out, so it was much more enjoyable and got to experience the boat actually working like it is designed to. At one point the sail even started humming which was kind of cool. It was definitely another one of those lightbulb moments and I think it removed all doubt that I will eventually be building at least one more larger sailboat.

Edit to add; there may be an Adelie (or similar sized vessel) in my future... I already have the CV16 plans, but I opened the question up to my wife, and her input was in favor of at least the minimal cabin. What I WANT in a sailboat I can't realistically have until I get up into at least the 25 foot range, which is not at all feasible at this time or probably any time in the remotely near future.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Glad you guys enjoyed your D5!!! Jeff

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Jeff