Drill and Fill Questions

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
Rumdoctor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Drill and Fill Questions

Post by Rumdoctor »

Is there a rule of thumb or recommended amount to overdrill? I.e. if there is a 1” diameter fitting, what diameter should you overdrill.

When filling the over drill with the epoxy, do you thicken it with wood flour? Thicken with something else?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Drill and Fill Questions

Post by Fuzz »

I think the general rule is make the hole 1.5 times the fastener size. 1" hole needs 1.5" over drill.
I use wood glue for almost everything but if it is in an area where very high loading is expected you can add other stuff glass fibres being one of them. Just do not use something soft like a fairing compound.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I think there’s a difference between loaded and unloaded holes though. EX: a through hull vs a screw hole.

Am I wrong about that?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Rumdoctor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rumdoctor »

Specifically, I was interested for my transom drain tube, bow eye, and cleats.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Will all be through bolted or some screwed/lagged?

I ask because I think (which is dangerous) that through bolt holes only need to be a bit larger than the bolt with epoxy not being structural (more of a seal)(give room for redrill inaccuracies). The lagged/screwed holes need to provide structural support to the threads.thats where the 1.5x plus glass, wood flour, cabosil, etc comes in.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong about all that. Wouldn’t be the first time. Today. According to wife.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Now this has me curious. Would it also depend on the size of the hole whether to cut cloth to place in and epoxy over? Still learning myself.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc »

IMHO, the over-drill and fill is to avoid rotting...

It helps with strength but when you talk about cleat or bow-eye, you need to divert the forces by using backing plates and under structural supports, not relying screw only.
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

icelikkilinc wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 am IMHO, the over-drill and fill is to avoid rotting...

It helps with strength but when you talk about cleat or bow-eye, you need to divert the forces by using backing plates and under structural supports, not relying screw only.
The main purpost is to prevent rot. It also adds some strength to the wood when mixed with wood flour. The 1.5 over drill is correct for all holes.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978