99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Explorer 19TV
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

Post by Explorer 19TV »

Hello, I recently posted in Cracker Larry’s but would not allow to post pics.

I am in Texas and have recently purchased a 99 Explorer 19tv (Tunnel V) that seems to be in solid shape as per the hull. I got it at a price that I could afford to put a little into it.

Plan is to strip all bolted on hardware, fuel tank ect. Clean up and start reassemble.

My first goal is to make bottom good as it has some deep gouges and scratches that I would like to repair, most are not into the glass but worry me. I also found a few stress cracks in the pocket tunnel in the gelcoat.
Attachments
548CF6F2-5EBA-4B84-9372-0E9BB22DB78C.png
548CF6F2-5EBA-4B84-9372-0E9BB22DB78C.png (555.58 KiB) Viewed 8958 times
04737009-83EB-4EA9-9E9E-FDE9A5FE873D.png
04737009-83EB-4EA9-9E9E-FDE9A5FE873D.png (592.35 KiB) Viewed 8961 times
Last edited by Explorer 19TV on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Explorer 19TV
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

Post by Explorer 19TV »

Loacation: forward of pocket tunnel on V
Loacation: forward of pocket tunnel on V
Attachments
Close up
Close up

Explorer 19TV
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Explorer 19TV »

Question on bottom,

I was wondering if I roughed up the bottom section with 80-120 grit, cleaned with acetone would epoxy mixed with graphite adhere to the gelcoat?

Or

Should I rough up as described above and respray with gelcoat?

Thanks for any input!!

Explorer 19TV
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Explorer 19TV »

Pics below are a few stress cracks in the gelcoat, location pocket tunnel, should I be alarmed about this?
Attachments
Stress cracks in pocket tunnel
Stress cracks in pocket tunnel

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

T,

To the best of my knowledge you should not epoxy over gelcoat. Gelcoat (or at least the final gelcoat finish on a boat) has a wax additive. This helps to protect the gelcoat from breaking down in the sunlight. Epoxy will not adhere to this layer. If you are able to grind down to the fiberglass, you can then coat with epoxy and then follow up with primer and paint. Someone else might have another opinion but that is my two cents. Best of luck!

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Explorer 19TV
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Explorer 19TV »

After further inspection of the bottom and further research on these hulls I have growing concern about what might lie under the deck. I am finding more and more stress cracks in the gelcoat running in length on the hull steps.

Could someone please advise with the best way to inspect, I sure hate to put a lot of work topside only to have to redo. Thanks so much.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Explorer, have you found any soft spots anywhere? Give Fuzz time to respond, he really can assist you with this inspection prior to repair!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

It is really tough to tell if what you are seeing is only cosmetic or if you have structural movement causing the cracks. I see lots of cracks in boats where it means nothing. What I do not see much of is cracking in the hull itself. Is there any way to get a look at some of the stringers? They could be getting rotten and letting the hull flex or it could be nothing. Polyester moves and cracks it is just the nature of the beast.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Can you take a floor jack under the keel and pick up the boat a little? What you are looking for is hull movement in the trailer bunk area as you take the weight. Probably need someone to run the jack so you can watch.

Explorer 19TV
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Explorer 19TV »

Thanks for the reply, I have been sanding the gouge areas and currently have the boat on blocks and no movement at all. I even put straight edge acros the deck as I was told a sure give away is sagging around the console, straight and flat with the exception of were its glassed in.
Last edited by Explorer 19TV on Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.