not all pictures load

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

not all pictures load

Post by OrangeQuest »

Good morning,

I understand you guys are upgrading your system as you move but for the last few weeks, since I changed my email address, I can not upload all my pictures. This could be a problem on my end but some of my pictures load and some do not. They are all from my phone and I first send them to my email address, download them to my cloud folder then try and upload them to the forum in my gallery. Some work, some do not. I was wondering if it's just me or are their others with the same issue? With my old email I never had the problem. Thanks for any help or advice.

OQ
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: not all pictures load

Post by Jeff »

OQ, No, we have not updated or changed the Forum settings that would assist or hinder you from loading. I don't think an email change would create a problem either!! I will talk with Crystal when she gets in but the only other person that was having issues loading was Exploror and he got his fixed!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

OQ, Also, maybe Jaysen will see this and help you!! He is an expert on this stuff!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Ok thanks Jeff. I figured it was something on my end but just checking.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Wow, that sounds like a tortuous process to get a picture on the forum. The gallery (the PHPBB embedded one) is liked to your login, not the email so that shouldn't be an issue. When a picture fails to load, what error do you get?

Jeff, should we create some type of tech document with screen captures and such? And by "document" I mean a pegged post for various platforms (iOS, Android, OSX, chromeOS, windows). Let me know and I'll start creating a rough template from past posts.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, great idea and by all means start the collect!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:10 am Wow, that sounds like a tortuous process to get a picture on the forum. The gallery (the PHPBB embedded one) is liked to your login, not the email so that shouldn't be an issue. When a picture fails to load, what error do you get?

Jeff, should we create some type of tech document with screen captures and such? And by "document" I mean a pegged post for various platforms (iOS, Android, OSX, chromeOS, windows). Let me know and I'll start creating a rough template from past posts.
Here is what I get!
I load one picture at a time to the forum and sometimes I get this, sometimes I do not. Jaysen, what am I doing wrong? This happens on my laptop and my desk top and both use win10. I use internet explorer 11?
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Those errors indicate that the file is not being detected as an image. This is likely due to a transfer error. Have you tried deleting the "bad one" and uploading the pic a second time?

My gut tells me this is due to the multiple steps between the picture being taken and the actual upload to the gallery. Likely in the cloud to gallery transfer. Let's try the re-upload and see if you get it to work the second time.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Ok. I deleted the picture I was having problems with and then uploaded it again from my phone directly into my boat folder, cutting out as many "exchanges" as possible. Then went onto the forum to upload it to there and crashed. Seems to be the pictures themselves. Some are good and some are not. I can open them on my computers and the bad ones I have loaded them onto Facebook. I suck at taking pictures and my phone is proving that! I will try one of my old phones that can still connect to WiFi. See if I can take pictures with them and not have any issues.
Thanks for checking into it Jaysen

OQ
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

If the phone upload is failing then it is likely that the XIF data has an issue. The fact the other systems can open the photos means that the raw data is there but the BBC forum is just not happy with it.

Try opening one of the offending photos on you laptop with MS paint, then do a “save as” to a different location. One you have the save as completed try uploading the NEW file. Hopefully MS will encode the data in a more BBC friendly way.