GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by fallguy1000 »

You just check the noaa weather station for wind forecast once a day...btw

https://www.nps.gov/voya/planyourvisit/houseboating.htm

Also, water systems for these bodies of water use lakewater for non-drinking. So that means showers and dishwashing and flush toilets all use lakewater which will greatly extend enjoyment for your four girls. The only rule is all toilet water goes to blackwater tank; no bypasses are allowed. Guessing you want 40 gallons min. All the other gray water goes overboard. So, you haul in drinking water or purify lakewater. All your overboard drains need loops; this keeps mosquitoes out of the boat, etc. For mosquitoes onboard; burn about 2" of mosquito coil on an ashtray and walk around before bed and open the screens for an air change. They drop to the floor.

If you boat in September (school season so unlikely), mice will board as they sense heat and odors coming off the boat. And you'll want some means to get rid of..

I have lotsa tips.

You could also rent a boat at Crane Lake and enter there at a pay launch and pay to park, etc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting »

The exterior is basically done, but the interior has a long way to go. Much more insulating to do, then building some bench seats that fold into beds, etc., plus a steering station, rigging, plumbing, sink, motor, etc. Haven't been able to work on it since we arrived to WI in June, as it's still in storage about 3 hours away. My new job has been a steep learning curve and a lot of work, but we are loving River Falls--what a terrific place.

Thanks for the suggestions on plumbing systems. Yes, all drinking/shower water will pull from the lake through a filtration system. I have a slim 20-gallon holding tank under the floorboards to allow us to carry clean water on board, even when on the trailer if desired. Low capacity because it can always be replenished form the lake, but the idea was to have enough to be able to drink and have a couple quick showers without needing to run the lake filter pump.

No blackwater on this boat. We went with an airhead composting toilet for simplicity and to save weight. There's a fan that keeps negative pressure on the toilet, and although I've never used one, people seem to rave about how well they work if set up and used correctly.

Gray water (shower and sink) will run to a small holding tank where we'll have the option to hold it or kick it overboard.

We did a lot of minimalist, multi-day backpacking as a family on the Appalachian Trail, so by comparison, living aboard this thing for several days will feel like ultra luxury.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644