GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by wkisting »

On second thought, maybe I'll leave it on the trailer and not go out on cloudy days. :)

Just kidding y'all a little. I appreciate the input, really.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Just read this about it about lightning strike protection.

https://nasdonline.org/7182/d000007/boa ... he%20radio.

Sorry for high jacking your build thread.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

No apology needed! That's good information! I'll have to put some thought into this and see what might be workable. A square foot of grounding plate under the hull is a tall order but not out of the question.

Wes
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Some place in the deep, dark, recesses of my mind I seem to remember that due to their shape some ground plates can act like they are much bigger than they really are.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 pm Some place in the deep, dark, recesses of my mind I seem to remember that due to their shape some ground plates can act like they are much bigger than they really are.
For this build, the electrode type on each hull corner might be better.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Still some gluing and trimming to do, but the boat has doors! The stern door has a folding panel so it can clear the seat. Strong magnets will hold the panel in position when it is folded down and when it is folded up.
bow door open.jpg
bow door closed.jpg
stern door open.jpg
stern door closed.jpg
Wes

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Curious why you didn't just hinge it the other way.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

It would've needed to be narrower to clear the seat on the opposite side, and also the door arc would've swept through most of the available foot space in the cockpit, making it awkward to open without having to shimmy out of its way. I had thought about not putting a seat on the port side, but ultimately decided we really want the storage there and still would've had awkwardness from the swing of the door, so this was the only workable option besides a top hinged door with a drop panel. I don't like drop panels because you have to handle them more and find a place to stow them. With magnets, this should snap into position nicely and stow nicely.

Because it's hinged on the back side, the frame of the door holds it in the extended position (when the door is closed) and provides support so that someone can't just lift it or push through for forced entry. It's actually quite solid in the closed position.
Wes

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Doors can be a pain and a real space eater. I like to use sliding doors where I can. Little more work to install but can save a lot of space.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

wkisting wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:01 am Still some gluing and trimming to do, but the boat has doors! The stern door has a folding panel so it can clear the seat. Strong magnets will hold the panel in position when it is folded down and when it is folded up.

bow door open.jpg
bow door closed.jpg
stern door open.jpg
stern door closed.jpg
Came out great!