AD16 Questions

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

AD16 Questions

Post by Jeff »

The following questions from Tony regarding our AD16 came into our email last evening: "I am most interested in your Adelie 16 and was wondering if you could help me out. Can the mast be hollow timber ? Is the mast on a tabernacle or stepped right through the deck to the keel? Would it be possible to fit an out board well, immediately fwd of the transom rather than a bracket? What size out board ? Could you give me a contact for the guy who built one in Sydney Australia?" (Jeff)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD16 Questions

Post by Jaysen »

HA! I know some of these!!! I may have asked JM similar questions...

Hollow wood: yes, but will need larger size. Solid wood would be better but heavier. Alum mast from production boat would be cheaper too.

Step style: is keel stepped. Could be deck stepped but I don't know if that's in the plans. I'd stick to keel stepped as you'll have the compression column in the cabin for deck stepped and, in my experience, stepping either mast will have similar difficulties just expressed differently (getting the mast in the partner for keel vs space and leverage issues for deck).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
The mast can definitely be hollow and it is per plan not on a tabernacle but stepped through the deck and at the keel is a 6 inch high keel shoe with a hole matching the masts diameter. If you are a skilled engineer like Salvatore of Sydney you can build the AD16 with a tabernacle. To read through his building thread gives you very good information for building the AD16 with modifications like tabernacle, lower benches and stainless steel centerboard instead of plywood one with 3 lead inserts. I think it is possible to make an outboard well but where would be your rudder when sailing, maybe 2 rudders behind each cockpit bench connected with a rod ? Jaques the designer should give you advise for that. The outboard size should be 3,5 HP
Here is Salvatores thread Adelie16 from a land down under and in the following youtube you see how he built his Adelie 16 within a Year.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK7N0Z ... w/featured[/youtube]

I hope this helps you in deciding for building an AD16 soon and you will have fun building it and sailing in it afterwards.The nice thing in this forum is not that you can buy a reasonable priced plan for a boat but the step by step help from members around the globe and also the designer about the even smallest problem you might have while building.

Greetings from Karl ( Austria ) who built the smaller Adelie
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks Karl.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com