Question for sail boat guys!

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Question for sail boat guys!

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am looking for a cam lock for my aft anchor rode. I want it to be simple, one hand lock and release and well, pretty. I found this and I like it but it is made of aircraft aluminum and comes with stainless steel screws.

I will use through bolts where it will be bolted to the wash deck and because it is for the aft anchor doesn't have to be super strong. I was thinking you guys would have a source that you guys get your sail rigging from.

Thanks for your advice up front in case I get to excited and forget to thank you later :)
OQ
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Question for sail boat guys!

Post by Capt UB »

There are so many out there.

First of all.....

What type of line..... lots out there...

What size....

Straight of line....

What is the line made of...

Rope has no named use...
Line has a named use.....

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I would use something a cam cleat like this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shop ... Y&usqp=CAc

and you can use it for rope from 3 - 12 mm diameter and you naturally can bolt screw it right through the deck with a washer and nut inside.
Oh I forgot to mention it is a Harken Cam-Matic Standard 3 - 12 mm rope diameter

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

gonandkarl wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:48 am Hi,
I would use something a cam cleat like this

and you can use it for rope from 3 - 12 mm diameter and you naturally can bolt screw it right through the deck with a washer and nut inside.
Oh I forgot to mention it is a Harken Cam-Matic Standard 3 - 12 mm rope diameter

Greetings from Karl
Thanks Karl! That is exactly what I was looking for. I have been using Harken pulleys for my kayak's anchor trolley system for more than 12 years without a problem. I have about half dozen of the pulleys in a box now waiting for a use. I bought extras thinking I may need to replace one or two but like I said, they have worked great!

I went to Harken's website and my head started to spin with all the names of things.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

OQ.....The Kayak guy...

I'm going to build the NC16 canoe/kayak. How long should the kayak paddle be? I may make it!

Bob

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Capt UB wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:34 am There are so many out there.

First of all.....

What type of line..... lots out there...

What size....

Straight of line....

What is the line made of...

Rope has no named use...
Line has a named use.....
It is 5/16th nylon braided line!

From what I understand rope is called line once it makes it way onto and around a boat but is rope on land. If used as an anchor line then it is call the rode and could include the chain. But I have never been a sailor or have I learned the lingo. :D

I visited Harken's web site and was lost as soon as the first page opened! Pretty sure you have to be over 18 to visit the site! 8O What is flip flop rigging for small boats?
Here is something else that completely caused my head to spin before I drank a little more coffee...

Jib Reefing & Furling
Harken jib reefing and furling systems make all the difference in headsail control and allow racers and cruisers to furl and reef safely from the cockpit.

:doh:
A. A. Milne

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Roller reefing system for the head sail , it rolls and unrolls from the fore stay.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

topwater wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 am Roller reefing system for the head sail , it rolls and unrolls from the fore stay.
VS hanked jib which “clips” onto the fore stay and is raised/lowered as a unit. To reef a roller you just roll it up a bit. To reef a hanked sail you change it (I’ve seen one hanked jib that reefed from the bottom and one that was self tending and reef like a traditional main but they are not the norm).

Looked up “flip flop rigging”. Appear to be tackle that is fixed to only move on one axis. Think like a hinge pin fixing the block to the deck.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Capt UB wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:26 am OQ.....The Kayak guy...

I'm going to build the NC16 canoe/kayak. How long should the kayak paddle be? I may make it!

Bob
Capt Bob your question is a little tricky! First how high will you be sitting from the water, how wide will the boat be at where you are sitting and how high will you be above the shear? Then you have to consider your size and shape as well. A shorter person win a high shear boat that you are sitting close to the bottom of the boat would need a longer paddle than the same person in a low shear, sitting on a few pads, boat because you are sitting closer to the water....That's the long answer without answering anything. :D

This fit guide may help you get close to what you are looking at building. Consider where you will be using the boat at and what kind of paddling style.
http://wernerpaddles.com/fit-guide/
I would say for your age and size a longer paddle and thinner blade would be the ticket.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 am
topwater wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 am Roller reefing system for the head sail , it rolls and unrolls from the fore stay.
VS hanked jib which “clips” onto the fore stay and is raised/lowered as a unit. To reef a roller you just roll it up a bit. To reef a hanked sail you change it (I’ve seen one hanked jib that reefed from the bottom and one that was self tending and reef like a traditional main but they are not the norm).

Looked up “flip flop rigging”. Appear to be tackle that is fixed to only move on one axis. Think like a hinge pin fixing the block to the deck.
8O 8O :doh:
It looks like you guys are using English words but when you use them in a sentence they make no sense!
A. A. Milne