Question for sail boat guys!

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Question for sail boat guys!

Post by terrulian »

That'll do the job.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Feels like that guy standing in line with the capstan is taking a really big risk. But maybe I'm just a bit frightened of large chunks of metal moving at high rates of speed.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:37 pm Feels like that guy standing in line with the capstan is taking a really big risk. But maybe I'm just a bit frightened of large chunks of metal moving at high rates of speed.
What YOU should be afraid of is rather smaller pieces of lead, may or may not be copper clad, travelling at high rates of speed.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Hey now... don’t go goving the boss lady any ideas.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:54 pm Hey now... don’t go goving the boss lady any ideas.
I would be more concerned she doesn't read your posts! 8O
Jaysen wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am if they really wanted to do you in, they would "lash" you to the chain. Personally, I'd use a running bowline to make the first loop fast around you, then a icicle hitch to keep you there and finish it with three more hitches just to ensure the icicle stays put. Not that I've thought about this at all, but that's how I'd do it.

:lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Who do you think came up with that plan? Maybe I read her post...

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

gonandkarl wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:48 am Hi,
I would use something a cam cleat like this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shop ... Y&usqp=CAc

and you can use it for rope from 3 - 12 mm diameter and you naturally can bolt screw it right through the deck with a washer and nut inside.
Oh I forgot to mention it is a Harken Cam-Matic Standard 3 - 12 mm rope diameter

Greetings from Karl
Thank you Karl!

I order one today!! I seen other brands that cost more but I like this one because you can get replacement parts. That says a lot about the loyalty. When it wears out sailors want to repair the old ones rather than buy new ones. Or it could be rumored to be bad luck to replace the whole thing per old sailor folk lore. :wink:
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Ok the little cam cleat came in and was placed in the area it will operate. Which it will work beautifully as the anchor tie off but it needs a straight fairlead/chock to keep the load inline with the cleat and to keep the rode from wearing on the transom. I found Sea Dog makes a 5" in 316 stainless but I think it maybe to wide. There isn't much distance from the cleat to the edge of the transom, maybe 2.5" or less? Anyone have insight on this working? The little cam cleat seems to still hold no matter what angle the load side pulls but for it's small size would like to keep the load forced to balance between both hold down bolts.

Edit: I could put the cleat to the side of the hatch and closer to the cockpit so the rode is a good foot from the fairlead and the angle will not change but a few degrees. Would that be better?
A. A. Milne

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Probably. You have a picture or drawing?
Tony