The Big Red SK....15???

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Big Red SK....15???

Post by OrangeQuest »

Really looking good!

Hopefully you have fenders coming too!
If not try etrailer.com
I had to replace some on two of our boat trailers and they where a perfect match. Our tandem trailer uses plastic fenders and they are holding up good.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Boy that's a beauty! I wouldn't want to park mine next to it 8O

Dougster

redfishjim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishjim »

Bullocks Dougster, your 22 is art! OrangeQuest, we got fenders. My mylar sheet should be here tomorrow, which I'll use for making my Seadek templates. Little FYI, Seadek goes 50% discount on sheet material on Black Friday, found that little intel just in the nick of time. Trailer is getting a new axle with preassembled hubs courtesy of Gander Outdoors, the spindles on this old trailer are 3/4" straight, I couldnt find any hubs that would fit it, lol. I bought the trailer months ago thinking it would work, but it was 3.5' short, lol. Must have been a trailer for a 12' jon boat or something, picked it up for 50 bucks. So I went to the steel shop last Saturday and picked up a 20' stick of 3" tubing for a longer tongue. Also got new bunk brackets, new trailer coupler, now new axle and hubs, should have just built the damn frame. After all said and done, I'm in the trailer for $480.00, not much savings there, but atleast I know it'll make it to the spot. It'll get painted at some point.
Attachments
20190114_173725.jpg

redfishjim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishjim »

I'll get the cockpit seadeked after I figure out where the grab bar is going. Should be able to get location figured out during the wet test tomorrow, weather permitting.
Attachments
20190116_210243-1920x1080.jpg
20190116_210347-1920x1080.jpg
20190116_210253-1920x1080.jpg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looking good!!
Can't see it to clearly but if you don't have the fuel tank strapped down you may want to consider adding something to keep it from moving around.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Oh Hell Yes!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very nice!! Jeff

redfishjim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishjim »

Holy Crap, everything worked out and it performed great! The bigger size really supported the 9.8hp well, topped out at 24mph, being very underpropped. The motor was previously used as a kicker motor for an offshore boat, makes sense. Might have to get a new one made from Baumann Props soon. It felt very stable topped out and I wanted to go faster... here's a couple pics at rest and a couple videos running, very stable considering the size, great little skiff. Now I know where I want the grab bar, that's next.

https://youtu.be/SAYZSULBylI
https://youtu.be/FHPtivNXVc4
Attachments
20190117_144450-1280x720.jpg
20190117_144542-1280x720.jpg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Wow! That little motor is pushing it pretty good!

Your boat looks at home on the water.
A. A. Milne

NavyBuilder13
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by NavyBuilder13 »

Very Cool build I was very interested to see performance numbers being ours are very close in scaling up. Absolutely awesome numbers and makes me want to upgrade to a 8 or 9.9 for sure. I would like to see how it looks in the water with you on board I also raised my sheer line and if I go back aft with the drain plug out it takes on water pretty fast, did you have any issues with the scupper?