AD-14

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

AD-14

Post by bondo »

I had always intended to follow up with some notes about my experience with the AD-14.

I have edited these posts to make corrections and to add thoughts:

The boat is a catboat with a flush-deck cabin.
Waterline is 14'
Hull is 14-6" overall.
Rudder makes it 15'-6" in the water
Extend the bowsprit and she is 20' LOA.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/irIg9WuNJ3g [/youtube]
Last edited by bondo on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD-14

Post by terrulian »

I had always intended to "follow up" with some notes about my experience with the AD-14.
Yes, please do. That boat tracks very well upwind with the helm centered, a sign of both good design and good sail trim. :D
Tony

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Yes Terrulian.
The boat does have good balance...I was thrilled about that. I was worried about too much weatherhelm.
Last edited by bondo on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I was worried about too much weatherhelm (I dont like weatherhelm)
Certainly doesn't look like a problem. You need a little weather helm for a boat to behave properly; you don't really want a neutral helm and certainly not lee helm. Unless the boat is very poorly designed (unlikely in this case!) it can easily be managed by sail trim. You get overpowered, you have more weather helm, you ease the traveler, or reef, balance the sails, problem solved. Every boat is a little different in this regard, some more tender than others, some with full keels others with fins.
Tony

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I've made 4 homemade sails and purchased 2 professional ones (similar, but all different from each other in some way.

I had fun making temporary sails from polytarp. None of them failed ( but you could never really count on them)

I rigged with flying outhaul which was critical for the homemade sails but not so much for the professional sails.

I made a couple jibs.

(If I were to do it all over again I would go straight for the Bateau sail and be done with it)

I've had the boat rigged with both a freestanding wooden mast and (now) a stayed aluminum rig.

I designed the wooden freesting mast about a foot taller than per plan. My homemade mainsails evolved from (114 sq ft) "per plan" to (120 sq ft)

They worked well...(to a degree) BUT:

Jacques' stayed aluminum rig (as drawn) is the best.

The boat has only been sailed on a large lake (Lake Washington) but she is destined for Puget Sound, San Juan islands.

I've sailed it perhaps 50 times (more now that I think about it), about 15 times a year...short trips lasting a couple hours. 80% of the time I have sailed solo. Total miles sailed is not much...under 500 miles I would guess.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/_oXC1l0i3qg [/youtube]
Last edited by bondo on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:29 am, edited 5 times in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

All you need for the San Juans is a pair of oars...although I'd recommend a fairly robust motor for ebbs and floods. :D
Tony

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Is the Suzuki 2,5 he uses not strong enough ?
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Hi Karl...thanks Terrulian, I know you are wise about sailing. I appreciate your comments and experience. I have used some or even lots of your advice so thanks.

I want to point out that I am NOT qualified to discuss engineering, design or theory. And there is nothing I can look at to claim that I am a good sailor. I know how to sail.

I've gotten myself in trouble more than a few times.
(Only once in the AD-14, equipment failure...a broken gooseneck part)
Last edited by bondo on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Hi Karl. I think the small 4stroke Suzuki is the perfect motor however boat "comments or statements" are relative.
Last edited by bondo on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

[Sorry if this is a repeat. I thought I posted it but don't see it.]
Is the Suzuki 2,5 he uses not strong enough ?
By "robust" I really meant "reliable." The San Juans are famous for being lovely and also for light or non-existent winds, while having currents that need to be reckoned with. I'm sure Bondo can plan around the currents but...the best laid plans...etc. Some of the shores are steep-to and so an anchor may not bail you out if you've lost both the wind and your motor. Not sure about whether 2.5 is enough power as I don't know that boat.
Tony