AD-14

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: AD-14

Post by topwater »

Nothing wrong with that set :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Hi guys.
If I added reef points to my mainsail
the boat would be ready for cruising.

A real bonus of building a Bateau sailboat are the high quality sails that have been designed and can be purchased. The bow-sprit is per plan, making the 15' boat effectively 20' long (for sail) = 220 sq ft of sail.

I will add that the boat does feel complete with mainsail alone. The plans say as much and it's true.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

If you watch this video does the boat look bow heavy?

If a sailboat is level when at-rest and the weight distribution stays the same does the fore-aft trim change when underway? (When sailing upwind)
[youtube]https://youtu.be/LXG8n2ojROY[/youtube]
Last edited by bondo on Sat May 11, 2019 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Here you can see the bow-entry/wave.

Is there a GPS phone app for sailing that people like?
[youtube]https://youtu.be/2kwPCuCBw88[/youtube]

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

No way I can tell from those shots but offhand I'd say she looks good.
If the boat is sitting on its lines at the dock, then it isn't down at the head unless you built it wrong or Jacques designed it wrong...so in other words, not likely. On race boats you always get the weight aft when sailing downwind to keep the boat from wanting to pitch forward, since the force driving the boat is leveraging the stern up and the bow down. If you see a race, watch where the crew is on the downwind legs. Upwind, since the force of the wind is leveraging the boat laterally, you need the weight on the windward rail.
Right now, I wouldn't worry about it, and would pay more attention to weather helm and lee helm.

As far as GPS apps go there is no shortage of choices but I like a real marine unit. They're waterproof--my handheld floats--and as the charts are installed in the unit you don't have to concern yourself with data usage and connectivity. The downside is they are a bit pricey, you can't show anyone pictures of your cat, and no one can call you. 8)
Tony

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Terrulian, I also want a "real" dedicated marine gps unit.
In the meantime I've tried 2 phone apps which I like.

One is called "Marine Ways" which provides detailed maps that can be viewed offline (location off).
The other app is called "Sail Free gps" which is a knot meter app that is helpful for seeing the immediate effects of sail trim/speed.

I have never read Jacques claim a certain
theoretical "hull speed" for the AD-14 sailboat. So these are my ramblings....but the square root of (AD- 14' waterline) multiplied by 1.34 (wave formula) equals a 5.01 knot hull speed.
Okay, so AD-14 hull-speed = 5 knots exactly.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I took the app along today to see how the AD-14 would do. Mainsail only (no current). I later checked the wind report which said the wind had been 7 mph, I would guess it was closer to 10 mph? There was a lot of boat chop.
The AD would sail all day at 4.2 - 4.5 - 4.8 knots
5 knots was harder to come by.
Inadvertently, I created several "sessions" by turning the phone (knot meter) off. Almost every testing "session" had a "highest speed" number of 5.3 or 5.4 knots.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Good that you mentioned these apps I will try using them on my next sailing outing. This will only be when my ordered carbon mast 3,2 kg will be here and I can raise it easily.
Have installed Sail Free gps ( free of adverts ) and it works perfect, if I switch to map it shows my home the garage and the carport next to it and through the plastic roof I can even see my boat underneath.
Love you short videos of the bow.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433