metric Vs english syst.

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: metric Vs english syst.

Post by Jaysen »

I gave up on real “measures” when I worked with an old guy in some cabinets. He used sticks for all his measurements (I want to say he called them “winding sticks”). Once he had the base measures he used the sticks to measure length needed each piece. I’m not describing it right, but I swear his stuff was perfect.

Not sure how to get by with just the sticks without a template to start from so... I’ll probably start going toward metric since my long term plans involve “haul out not in US” :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Winding sticks...Jaysen, you're a woodworker, you know that "winding sticks" are two sticks that are strait, that you use to judge whether a board is flat or twisted. Different thing. You may mean "story stick" or "story pole" which is used when you mark a piece of lumber like a framing member so that you can create multiple copies without measuring.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thank you. I will not deny that I may have had more than one beverage by then.

Story sticks are the answer. I was never really comfortable with winding or story sticks. You just can't screw things up with them but it just seemed wrong to me at the time. I did find that i used the method (but with string) on Lil Bit. Anyway. thank you for the correction Tony.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.